fail to start on mac

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by orman21, Aug 26, 2014.

1. orman21

orman21 Member

hi , i just install parallel 9 on my mac to try it out , installation finished but when i start it i get this error

Unable to start Parallels services.
    Please relaunch Parallels Desktop. If the problem persists, contact the Parallels support team for assistance.

running yosemite beta 2, please help before trial period ends

2. Eugene@Parallels

Eugene@Parallels Banned

3. Paul Barnard

Paul Barnard Member

NOT FIXED in Parallels 10

I have just bought the upgrade and I get the error when trying to install it.

4. Eugene@Parallels

Eugene@Parallels Banned

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply.

could you please make a screenshot of the error message?

And please correct me if I am wrong:

1) you have the .dmg file of Parallels Desktop 10
    2) you start to install
    3) you get the error message

Message about unable to start Parallels Service or another one?

Any additional and precise info would help

5. Paul Barnard

Paul Barnard Member

Error message

The error is a popup dialogue that says
    Parallels Desktop could not be started.
    Please try again. If the problem persists, contact the Parallels support team for assistance.
    Expanding the 'Help me solve the problem' disclosure triangle get the following
    Problem ID: 15380
    Check this solution

The link takes me to a page that details a temporary solution for Parallels 9 and the statement it is fixed in Parallels 10 (which is why i bought it.)

Yes I have downloaded the .dmg for Parallels 10
    ParallelsDesktop-10.0.1-27695.dmg

I get the problem during the install process as follows.

Double click the Install.app in the opened dmg
    Permit the app to run (click open on the OS_X security dialogue)
    I then see a dialogue showing installing and a flashing progress bar (it looks like it is repeatedly going from end to end but is too fast to see clearly).
    I then get a dialogue asking for my password as it requires administrator privileges. I provide that.
    I then get the dialogue saying it can't start.

I tried it a couple of times with the same results.

Additional data:
    I then manual deleted the Parallels 9 app from my Applications folder (the 10 install had not deleted it yet)
    I tried again and the same result, 10 still gives the error and doesn't install.

I then removed all parallels plist files and same result again.

I sent the problem report and checked the forum.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
  6. Eugene@Parallels

Eugene@Parallels Banned

Hi,

Thanks for the info.
    Could you please post a problem report ID here? (if you don't have it, please submit anew one through Help -> Submit a problem)

7. Paul Barnard

Paul Barnard Member

Eugene,

I submitted a new one. The ID is 49328750

Thanks

8. orman21

orman21 Member

ok installing 10 worked i have another issue now, first i accidentally installed without windows disk, (guess i have a blank virtual machine) i know was able to install windows which is named windows 7.2 how can i remove the first VM thanks

9. Paul Barnard

Paul Barnard Member

You should be able to just right click on the VM in the VM list and say delete. It will ask you if you want to deleted the files as well, just say yes and the disk space will be recovered.

10. orman21

orman21 Member

in finder? strange i only see one there but sometimes when i start parallels a small box open up and i see several there as well

11. Paul Barnard

Paul Barnard Member

Orman,

When you launch Parallels 10 you will see the Control Center. This lists the VM that you have on your system. It is probably the small box that you are seeing. Right click on the VM that you don't want and select 'Remove' and the VM will be deleted. If you don't see the Parallels Control Center you can open it from the menu bar Window->Control Center or by right clicking on the dock icon and selecting Control Center.

12. Paul Barnard

Paul Barnard Member

Eugene,

I am back in the UK now and the problem is still there (I was wondering if it might be a Great Firewall of China problem). I also downloaded the dDMG again and it still has the problem. I used the DMG to install on my Mavericks desktop system and it installed without problem. This is definitely a problem with Yosemite installation on DP6.

13. orman21

orman21 Member

many thanks!!!!

14. orman21

orman21 Member

many thanks, this weekend i should try the heck out of this trial period....

15. Paul Barnard

Paul Barnard Member

I run multiple VMs for development work and have always found Parallels to be a great option. The upgrades tend to mess with the UI a bit each time, which always frustrates for a few days, but generally the basic functionality is great. I've just run up a couple of my VM's (Windows and Linux) on Parallels 10 and it seems to be a nice upgrade, on Mavericks at least. Until they manage to sort out my install problem on Yosemite DP6 I'm not sure what it's going to be like on that system. It's a bit frustrating as I am off to Japan next week and may finish up having to take two computers. I need Yosemite for some iOS8 development I am doing but need Linux for coding the host system it is connecting to. My development laptop now can't run Parallels so I'm somewhat screwed...

Enjoy the trial period, from my experience with Parallels over the last few years I'm sure you will like it a lot.

16. orman21

orman21 Member

ok, nice review, was able to install ubuntu on it, asked me for password for user parallels but never asked me for root password, what would be the root password fur ubuntu

17. Paul Barnard

Paul Barnard Member

On Ubuntu it's normally locked. The user Parallels installed will be an administrator user and you can use that for most things, including installing software and adding user accounts, and of course you can sudo with that account and password.

If you really really really want to use root then you will need to set a password for it
    sudo -i
    sudo passwd root

This really really really shouldn't be needed.

If you do see the light and decide not to use root then you can turn it off again
    sudo passwd -dl root

18. ArnoldC

ArnoldC Bit poster

I have the same problem as Paul. I bought 8, installed the update to 9 and was using that for months. Today I got 10, and tried to install it using the same steps Paul outlined, and it wont start for me.

19. Paul Barnard

Paul Barnard Member

It's probably worth mentioning that my system also has a repeatedly updated version at least 8, 9 then 10.

Perhaps it is something in the extensions from an earlier release.

20. Paul Barnard

Paul Barnard Member

Just remembered one other thing that is non standard. I removed all Parallels Access references, per instructions from Parallels support, when it was installed automatically by desktop 9. I do not use Access.

In case it is something to do with that I'm going to try to install 9 and then upgrade again with the Access nonsense in place.