[Technical Preview] Parallels Tools not installing

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Nexus1, Oct 2, 2014.

1. Nexus1

Nexus1 Bit poster

As the title says, I cannot get Parallels Tools to install on a Windows 10 Technical Preview installation. I've tried manually mounting ~/Applications/Parallels.app/Resources/Tools/prl-tools-win.iso to the VM and launching the exe therein and doing it from the Virtual Machine menu with no luck. I need it installed to share directories from OS X, as you may have guessed, and without this capability the VM is useless to me.

Configuration:
    Type: Windows 8.1 (IDE fix used)
    Cores: 2
    RAM: 4GB
    Disk size: 64GB
    Parallels version: 9 (latest build)

Ideas?

2. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

"...
    4. When the installation is over, pick 'Install Parallels Tools' from the top menu of the VM.
    5. Navigate to the 'Parallels Tools' DVD in Windows' File Explorer and double click on 'autorun'."

And by IDE fix do you mean you also set the DVD to use IDE? Because from the description you give it looks like the virtual DVD drive isn't working. If you try to mount any other image or real DVD does it work?

3. Nexus1

Nexus1 Bit poster

As I said, I tried that. And I meant I manually set the hardware configuration to use IDE in place of SATA for both the HDD and the DVD drive in order to set it to use the Windows 8.1 installation type instead of "other Windows," which also works but has restricted functionality. I can mount images just fine.
    The issue is that after launching the installer it hangs around 59% and then gives me an error saying that it can't install and to try restarting the VM. It also links a troubleshooting page and I've exhausted the options given there. I asked about it via Twitter and the support team sent me here.

4. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

As you have seen, the generality of people have managed to install PTools on Windows 10TP following those or similar instructions. So there must be something specific to your Windows installation/configuration that is conflicting with the installation, do you have any idea what is? What would you say makes your installation 'peculiar'? Any Anti-virus installed? Did you 'tweak' anything?

5. Nexus1

Nexus1 Bit poster

Nope. Just changed from SATA to IDE on the installation. Maybe a bad ISO?

6. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

If the iso (windows) was bad then it wouldn't have installed windows in the first place.

7. Argelian

Argelian Member

I had to switch from SATA to IDE for the Win10TP to even get to see drives to install from and to. And of this writing, installed Parallels Tools just fine.