Antivirus software necessary on virtual machine as well as Mac?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Parallels User, Nov 22, 2014.

1. I run antivirus software on the Mac side of my Macbook Pro. Is it really necessary to also install an antivirus software on the virtual Win 7 machine in Parallels Desktop? I am concerned running two antivirus programs will slow down performance.

2. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Yes. The AV on the Mac won't protect your Internet browsing and downloads on Windows, where it's arguably more needed, so if I would have to pick between running on just one, I would pick on Windows.

With that said, Windows 8, 8.1, 10TP already come with their own AV, called Windows Defender: http://www.microsoft.com/security/pc-security/windows-defender.aspx

3. MikeKazlow

MikeKazlow Bit poster

The answer depends upon how you work and have your system set up. If you download files to your virtual machine and visit websites within Windows, then you need anti-virus and anti-spyware software for you PC side. Your Mac software cannot adequately protect Windows. If you keep your Mac and PC Virtual machines completely separate and never access the internet on your PC side (turn off all networking access to Windows through Parallels), and never update your PC software, you can avoid running PC protection software (or only run it when you update the software running on the PC side).

4. Thanks for the quick response.

The next logical question, then, is whether anyone knows if running an antivirus program in the virtual Win 7 machine IN ADDITION TO an antivirus program running on the native Mac OSX site will slow down the overall operation of my MacBook Pro?

5. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Of course it will. Will you notice? Probably not.

6. RobertWise

RobertWise Member

What you need to do is think of the Mac and the VM as two separate machines for security purposes, so yes run the AV on both. If you notice a slowdown in performance then I would suggest your machine does not have enough RAM.

As regards using Windows inbuilt security - I wouldn't personally. In fact MS are advising users not to rely on Windows own security but to install a third party application instead.

7. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Can you back that up with an URL from Microsoft?