Missing Network Settings (DHCP...)

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by GeraldFi, Aug 21, 2015.

1. GeraldFi

GeraldFi Junior Member

Just upgraded from Parallels 10 to 11. Now I was searching for the network settings, to configure the behaviour of the internal DHCP Server. In P10 I did find this in the Settings menu, but it´s not there any longer. So where can I configure this?

2. ghtop

ghtop Member

3. GeraldFi

GeraldFi Junior Member

Thank you for your answer. Yes, I´ve seen this as well, but the Network Tab is not there....

4. GeraldFi

GeraldFi Junior Member

Any official answer from Parallels?
    Seems, with the new update you are not making to many friends....

5. marat_t

marat_t Pro

6. GeraldFi

GeraldFi Junior Member

Sorry guys, but you really did loose track...
    Parallels was a really good peace of software. I thought as with every upgrade, it will get better. But it didn´t, it got worse...
    Sorry to say that, but you lost a customer. Removing features is not an option I will support.

emiko and MarieC like this.
  7. ChrisT3

ChrisT3 Member

Heh. It just never ends, does it.

Maria, is there anywhere that you guys have posted a definitive list of what has been removed from Standard and moved into Pro? Is this not information users should have? Is there a reason not to enumerate the changes?

I really think Parallels should be straightforward and list exactly what has been moved out of Standard and into Pro, since this seems to be the repeated response from you guys and we learn something new that was removed every day.

8. greentree

greentree Bit poster

This is outrageous. This is a much used, and IMHO basic feature of the VM, and you remove it?! Disgusting.

This removal of features in upgrades should be made illegal.

9. KevinO1

KevinO1 Bit poster

I use the advanced network settings to test certain client/server applications without buying networking hardware. However, I upgraded to El Capitan but did not know about this ridiculous limitation until now. Now, my server vm is useless. To make things worse, they tell us we now need to subscribe and pay extra over time just to use this feature. Sorry, just lost another customer. Switching to vmware...

10. KevinO1

KevinO1 Bit poster

After trying out VMWare, I came back to Parallels as it had native USB boot capability amongst other things. Fortunately along the way, I found 2 ways to edit the network settings in Parallels Desktop 11.

Option 1: Temporarily Use Parallels 10--Easiest
    If you still have a Parallels 10 key and media, you can install over the existing Parallels 11. This will remove 11 but keep your VMs intact. From here, you can use the network editor of Parallels 10 to change the network. Once you make the network changes, re-install Parallels 11. The current network should remain set.

Option 2: Directly Modify Parallels' Network File
    When Parallels initializes, I found out that it uses the network settings from: /Library/Preferences/Parallels/network.desktop.xml. If you did an in-place upgrade, the existing network should remain as it was. However, if, like me, you upgraded to El Capitan and did a clean install of everything, you'll either need to do Option 1 or modify the said file using the following procedure:
    1. Shutdown all VMs
    2. Quit Parallels
    3. Open Terminal
    4. Type this command and press enter: sudo nano /Library/Preferences/Parallels/network.desktop.xml
    5. Enter your password
    6. Edit the appropriate settings (use the arrow keys to navigate)
    7. Press Control+X (To Exit)
    8. Press Y (To Save)
    9. Press Enter (To Confirm)
    10. Power On your VMs
    In case you need a reference point, I have attached an annotated version of the original file and the one I currently use for running a Windows Server/Client environment. I have not messed with IPv6 nor port forwarding rules but if you'd like to see how the file is modified, use Parallels 10.
    My Test Network
    My virtual network is on a 172.16.0.0/16 subnet. It has server 2012 and windows VMs for testing purposes. The server is running DHCP and DNS amongst other roles and hands out addresses successfully after doing the above changes.
    GUI From Parallels 10
    Parallels 10 Shared Tab.png
    Text File Equivalent (Shared Network Section)
    Shared Network-CustomDHCP.png
    Server/Client Settings
    Server-IP Settings.png Server-DHCP Settings.png Client-IP Settings.png

Attached Files:

leeonet and WitoldO like this.
  11. WitoldO

WitoldO Bit poster

Thank you KevinO1.
    Shame on Parallels for taking money for upgrade and then removing functionality.

12. leeonet

leeonet Bit poster

Hi WitoldO, Can't agree more!

Thank you KevinO1.

13. AlB2

AlB2 Bit poster

Has someone maybe an xml-example with PortForwarding-Rules?

14. AlB2

AlB2 Bit poster

My /Library/Preferences/Parallels/network.desktop.xml contained setting from an older installation but this seems not to work even if I see an open port 10001 after starting the vm (netstat -an | grep 10001).

Code:
              <NATServer dyn_lists="">
                  <Enabled>1</Enabled>
                  <PortForwarding dyn_lists="">
                      <TCP dyn_lists="ForwardEntry 2">
                        <ForwardEntry id="1" dyn_lists="">
                            <RuleName>fw rule 0</RuleName>
                            <IncomingPort>10001</IncomingPort>
                            <RedirectIp></RedirectIp>
                            <RedirectPort>10001</RedirectPort>
                            <RedirectVm>{343a5954-f02d-4325-b657-d25a4493a107}</RedirectVm>
                        </ForwardEntry>
                      </TCP>
                      <UDP dyn_lists="ForwardEntry 0"/>
                  </PortForwarding>
                  <IdleConnectionTimeoutSecs>7440</IdleConnectionTimeoutSecs>
                  <UseIPFilter>0</UseIPFilter>
                </NATServer>

15. AlB2

AlB2 Bit poster

Workaround: create a reverse tunnel with SSH (PuTTY) to forward ports from host to guest. ;-)