Upgrading OSX 10.10.5 to El Capitan in Parallels 11 problem

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by apple2, Aug 31, 2015.

1. apple2

apple2 Bit poster

Hi.

I know there is a way to install El Capitan in Parallels Desktop 11 by using an image. But i'd like to upgrade my OSX 10.10.5 guest VM to El Capitan. But I see this error message after reboot to install El Capitan.

"OS X Could not be installed on your computer.
    Storage system verify or repair failed.
    Quit the installer to restart your computer and try again."

I tried multiple times but failed with the same message.

I'm using a Macbook 17' (late 2011) and the host OS is 10.10.5. Of course I'm using Parallels Desktop 11 as i said.

Anyone have the same issue?

Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. AndreL2

AndreL2 Bit poster

I'm having exactly the same issue! Can't continue updating to El Capitan.
    Waiting for further instructions from Parallels.
    @parallels, please help us!

3. Jay Versluis

Jay Versluis Bit poster

Crazy, isn't it? I had expected this not to work in version 10, but I was confident that 11 would make running El Capitan as guest OS a piece of cake. Not the case!

Until this problem is fixed, here are some instructions that will work. It involves downloading El Capitan and creating a DMG installer image from the download - so it bypasses the upgrade process and you'll be able to install a fresh VM from the DMG.
    http://www.lostentropy.com/2015/06/10/installing-os-x-10-11-el-capitan-inside-parallels-desktop/

4. Tony Carreon

Tony Carreon Hunter

i had this problem. called tech support, did not get resolution. their suggestion was to:
    - install a new VM
    - isolate it from the host mac (including disable shared folders, don't sync time, etc)
    - update os x 10.10 to 10.11

of course this worked. however i don't know why. the first VM i tried to do it on was a fresh clean install of 10.10 anyway. but like you when i ran the installer for 10.11 it hit the filesystem error.

i trashed that VM, installed a new copy of 10.10 and updated it with no problems. o_O

i am however completely unable to install 10.11 fresh. i get the "EFI issue"...

5. ManojK@Parallels

ManojK@Parallels Parallels Support

6. BradleyG1

BradleyG1 Bit poster

I have the same problem.. Is my VM done for or is there a way to fix it? I have a lot of work I would like to not lose.. I have crashplan running on my machine, but I can't seem to restore a good version of the pvm.

7. Hi could you please provide us with the problem report? You can generate it using this KB, please reply us back with report ID number

8. BradleyG1

BradleyG1 Bit poster

76360721 is the report ID

9. Thanks a lot, we've escalated this issue to our development team for the further investigation.
    We will also provide you with any additional details once we receive the updates.

10. Also please let us know how did you upgrade your VM OS, from App Store or using recovery partition?

11. BradleyG1

BradleyG1 Bit poster

I upgraded using the app store.

12. MurrayC2

MurrayC2 Bit poster

I have the same problem.

I have tried both the following approaches. My Mac has Mac OS 10.10.5 (14F27) - I don't want to upgrade until I'm sure that El Capitan works OK in a VM.
    1. Create new VM from - using recovery partition.
    - this creates a new 10.10.5 VM OK
    - I then try to upgrade via the Mac App Store to El Capitan - fails
    2. Clone a pre-existing 10.10.5 Parallels VM
    - try to upgrade this via the Mac App Store to El Capitan - also fails

13. BradleyG1

BradleyG1 Bit poster

Also, I just did a clean install of El Capitan using the recovery partition and it worked fine. (I still have the other VM which is failing upgrade)