Full screen VM messes up other non-fullscreen VMs

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by RodrigoG1, Oct 28, 2015.

1. RodrigoG1

RodrigoG1 Bit poster

Hello,

I have been experiencing some strange issues on the last few weeks (probably since the last update?). It's mostly annoyances, but from time to time it's more than that.

I have several VMs (2 Windows 10 and 1 Windows 7) that I run frequently at the same time. I have a MBPr connected to 2 external monitors (each on it's own DisplayPort, i.e., not chained) so in total I have 3 screens available.

Usually I have a VM on FullScreen mode, in just 1 monitor (one of the external ones). The other 2 VMs are usually non-fullscreen.

So, I start the first VM, Windows 10, which is NON fullscreen. Everything goes fine. But, when I start the other VM, in Full Screen mode, then the windowed one "believes" it is on full screen: the View menu reads "exit full screen mode" and the guest screen takes up some of the menu bar of the window where it is contained:

Captura de pantalla 2015-10-28 a las 10.36.06 a.m..png
    As you can see, the guest contents are using a part of the window that they shouldn't.

This is not a big deal per se, but I believe this is a symptom of the cause of some other problems I experience from time to time. For instance, after leaving the fullscreen VM for a while, when I try to work on it again it's just a black window. Pressing keys, Ctrl+Alt+Supr, clicking the mouse, doesn't do anything. At some point it finally shows the login screen (specially on Windows 10) but on the Windows 7 machine I usually have to go to View - Exit Full Screen for it to work again.

And, when doing that, the other running VMs usually also have some issues with the screen size: if it is running Full Screen then it goes out also, and if it's windowed, then the window gets much smaller. Sometimes it is on the same proportion, but much smaller, and apparently the resolution reported to the VM is still the same, as the screen looks tiny. Other times the resolution is the real one, so it just get's less space to work.

I usually don't have any VM running on the MBPr screen directly, just on the external monitors, I don't know if that could be part of the cause.

Anyone experiences something like this?

I have version 11.0.2 (31348), and the VMs have the latest version of Parallels Tools installed. The host OS is Mac OS X El Capitan 10.11.1, but this happen also with the previous one (10.11.0). The Windows 10 VMs have 256MB of video RAM assigned, Scaled resolution, and DirectX10 acceleration.

2. Dinchot

Dinchot Bit poster

I am having similar issues with Parallels 11 (11.0.2). I have two thunderbolt monitors and I have one main VM (windows 10) that I run full screen, across both monitors. I have another windows 7 VM that I run occasionally. When I launch the windows 7 VM (in any mode), my full screen Win 10 VM goes down to a small window. This has never been the case before. In past versions of parallels (from 6 on) I could have multiple full screen (multiple monitor) VM's running at the same time.. all full screen.

Something is broken with El Capitan and Parallels 11.

3. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi, please follow the steps mentioned below to fix the issue:
    1. Open virtual machine configuration.
    2. Switch to Options tab > Full Screen.
    3. Disable the Use OS X Full Screen option.
    4. Disable "Use all displays in full screen" and let us know how it works.

4. Digdug

Digdug Junior Member

I have a similar problem. Here is my scenario:
    - Parallels 11.0.2, laptop monitor & 2 external monitors
    - Windows 10, full screen, use all screens in full screen
    - Windows 8.1, "Use OS X Full Screen" unchecked/checked doesn't matter
    Issue 1 - Windows 8.1 always opens full screen.
    Issue 2 - When I close or exit Windows 8.1 full screen, my Windows 10 exits full screen and all my windows get reoriented.

5. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi, we're currently working on it with our Development. Unfortunately we do not have ETA for the fix, it has been prioritized appropriately and you can track the changes in the product at http://kb.parallels.com/122720

6. RichardC8

RichardC8 Bit poster

Does anyone know the status on this issue? I've tried Parallels 11.2.0 (32581) and still cannot run multiple VMs simultaenously with multiple monitors.