Windows 10 will not launch after latest update

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by JohnP8, Dec 29, 2015.

1. JohnP8

JohnP8 Bit poster

Hi there,

I just updated Parallels to version 11.1.2 (32408) and my Windows 10 VM will no longer launch. I receive a MEMORY_MANAGEMENT BSOD error.

I thought the file may have been corrupt, so I restored yesterdays Time Machine backup of my Windows 10 VM (which launched successfully this morning) and I received the same BSOD error.

Any suggestions on a fix?

Thanks!

2. JohnP8

JohnP8 Bit poster

I see that others are reporting the same issue at @parallelscares.

Any update?

3. JohnP8

JohnP8 Bit poster

Found the solution.

I had the number of processors at 4 but the update changed it to 2.

Once I set it back to 4 the VM launched properly.

4. Dhruba@Parallels

Dhruba@Parallels

Sound good, John! Let us know if you have any additional questions.

5. GHLab

GHLab Bit poster

I have same problem after update.
    So I changed the number of processors and I saw login screen but the problem is reproduced agian after login.
    I figured it out after disabled Hyper-V (Nested Virtualization) but I have to use that option for using windows phone emulator.
    Please fix it.

B.M.L.W likes this.
  6. Dhruba@Parallels

Dhruba@Parallels

Hi @GHLab please create an empty virtual machine and check how it goes. Refer to this article.

7. TS-Micah

TS-Micah Product Expert

I updated figuring that it shouldn't be a HUGE issue... After installing the update and it resumed my Windows 10 VM - instant BSOD. Now I'm in INFINITE BSOD boot loop..

<sarcasm>This is AWESOME!!!</sarcasm>

I can't even uninstall the Parallels Tools. I'm going to try to disable the Nested Virtualization to see if that helps, but seriously, I NEED this as well for development.

I'm hoping there isn't more of this to look forward to in the new year...

8. TS-Micah

TS-Micah Product Expert

I can confirm that Windows 10 runs stable after disabling the Nested Virtualization option. This is an issue that should be look at.

UPDATE:
    After installing the updated Parallels Tools, I re-enabled Nested Virtualization option, still BSOD on login screen. I'm running the latest build of Windows 10.

UPDATE 2:
    Disabled Nested Virtualization; Started windows; Removed Parallels Tools; Restarted to ensure un-installation was finished, Shut down; Enabled Nested Virtualization, Started Windows - No BSOD!!! Installed Parallels Tools; Rebooted; BSOD Loop... sigh, Happy New Year....

Also tried changing number of CPU's, No luck...

In addition to the MEMORY_MANAGEMENT BSOD, I also got CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED and IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL.

ON DOWNGRADING:
    I wanted to downgrade to 11.1.1 (32312), but after attempting to construct a URL for previous versions used in the KB Article 5802 - I got a 404.

Here's the URL I constructed based on the pattern of URLs in KB5802:
    http://download.parallels.com/desktop/v11/11.1.1/ParallelsDesktop-11.1.1-32312.dmg

Can you please make this version available for download?

RANT:
    How much are these updates really tested? I'm starting to feel like I've paid for the privilege of being a guinea pig the last few updates... I'm really getting frustrated and fearful when updates show pop up for me to install. I don't necessarily have time to test them out especially when they fix some of the minor annoyances I've been experiencing while causing other issues. When things are released, and maybe I'm wrong here, but shouldn't they just work? Where's the QA?

Note to self: Keep previous version installer .dmg.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2015
    Joseph H, mrutter and B.M.L.W like this.
  9. JimB3

JimB3 Bit poster

Same here - is there a way to downgrade?

10. AllenO

AllenO Bit poster

Same here - I now have multiple VMs that were working this morning and not now.
    BOth VMs .. 1 x Win 8.1 and 1 x W10, start for a short while, then die.
    Looks like user settings / user profile in both has been lost - applications looking for new signin information and outlook completely lost settings. Extremely bad situation.

Can you please inform how we can roll back this change as a matter of urgency????

Last edited: Jan 1, 2016
  11. JonasH1

JonasH1 Bit poster

same issue here.. installed latest update today, and now it keeps showing BSOD in Windows 10 while booting (all sorts of errors, such as thread issues or memory issues, or "critical process died"). Sometimes it reaches login screen, and I can initiate login, but will eventually crash before Windows has completely logged in.

I have also enabled Adaptive Hypervisor, but I have another (newer) trial Windows 10 VM which runs fine with same configuration. (the one that dies has been running without problems for over 2 years now). Disabling hypervisor or changing number of CPU's does not help.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2016
  12. ThomasH6

ThomasH6 Bit poster

Same problem here. Disabiling Adaptive Hypervisor fixed the problem for me as well.

Like many here, I purchased the Professional edition of Parallels because I need it to do my job. Dodgy updates like this are unacceptable.

13. IgorG1

IgorG1 Bit poster

Same problem here.
    Thanks to TS-Micah, this is what is working for me, for now:
    • Got BSOD
    • Stop VM, VM Settings, disable nested virtualisation
    • Start VM. no BSOD
    • Start, Power, Shut Down
    • VM Settings, enable nested virtualisation
    • Start VM, no BSOD yet
    What I have to say, that during multiple restarts it succeeded fully install Parallel tools before going to BSOD.

Update: BSOD is back, after 10-15 min of stand-by :(

Last edited: Jan 2, 2016
  14. ViS

ViS Junior Member

Same here! BSOD on Windows 10 after stand-by of the MacBook Pro. (Every single time)
    I want to have my money back for the update to Version 11. And I want the version 10 back on my machine!

Last edited: Jan 2, 2016
  15. JonasH1

JonasH1 Bit poster

hello again, can we at least please get a direct link to download the prior version, which was working fine? it's a quite critical bug.

16. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hello Jonash, you may use this link to download ParallelsDesktop-11.1.1-32312.dmg and check how it works. In order to investigate the issue faster, we would also generate a problem ID and provide the ID here before you downgrade to the prior version.

17. AllenO

AllenO Bit poster

Paul - have tried *numerous* times to submit a ticket - your validation failing with no error messages ...

18. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi Allen, please shut down your virtual machine and go to Configuration->Hardware->CPU and Memory and choose "Advanced settings" and to uncheck "Nested Virtualization" and then restart Parallels Desktop and reinstall Parallels Tools tp fix the issue. Thanks!

19. AllenO

AllenO Bit poster

HI Paul - not seeing any *advanced* option in there?
    see attached.
    2016-01-03_1659.png

Last edited: Jan 3, 2016
  20. RuiH

RuiH Bit poster

Same here. MEMORY_MANAGEMENT BSOD, CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED and IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Host: OS X El Capitan 10.11.2 (On a MBP Early 2013, 2.7GHz Core i7, 16GB, NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB, 500GB Flash)
    Parallels 11.1.2 (32408)

Crashing VM:
    Windows 10.0.10586 Pro, 64
    4GB RAM
    BIOS Boot
    OBS: Upgraded from Windows 8.1

Working VM:
    Windows 10.0.10586 Pro, 64
    4GB RAM
    EFI Boot
    OBS: Fresh Install from MSDN

Fiddled with enabling/disabling Adaptive Hypervisor, reinstall Parallels Tools, 1, 2 and 4 processors, no success.