Has anyone any experience with running InDesign CS6 (Mac) in Mac client OS on a Mac host?

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by GerbenW, May 18, 2016.

1. GerbenW

GerbenW Member

I have to upgrade my Mac to 10.11 shortly. I have InDesign CS6 which runs OK on 10.10, but which does not run well on 10.11. So, I am thinking about running it in a 10.10 client OS VM on a 10.11 host OS.

What can I expect speed-wise in such a setup?

2. Sasti@Parallels

Sasti@Parallels Parallels Support

Hello GerbenW,
    With a Mac OS Virtual Machine you should be able to run the regular Mac applications normally. You could always avail the 14-days trial of Parallels Desktop to check how it works for you.

3. GerbenW

GerbenW Member

I have it running. I have a 10.8.5 client in an 10.10.5 host and the client runs CS6. It all works, only scrolling is not very fluid (it is jittery). Maybe there is some interplay between the management of mouse behaviour on both sides that produces this effect. Performance so far feels like a 10-20% loss. I've tested this with both Parallels 10 and Parallels 11. Getting the shared directories is a bit iffy, but it works (different on 10 and 11).

I also noticed that the trackpad is not recognised as such in the client OS. So, no multi-touch inside the client OS.

And I noticed one needs to hit Ctrl-Option before hitting something like Ctrl-Left or the Ctrl-Left goes to client and not host (for switching between multiple clients running in parallel in full screen).

4. Sasti@Parallels

Sasti@Parallels Parallels Support

Hello,
    Could you try reinstalling the Parallels tools, and see if that helps.

Last edited: May 30, 2016
  5. GerbenW

GerbenW Member

Yes, I reinstalled Parallels Tools.

PS. I still get some weird behaviour. There is a 'localhost' entry in the sidebar of the finder that disappears if you try to go to it (see other thread in this forum), but the Shared folders from the host now work.

6. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi GerbenW, you may try to Turn OFF Windows Firewall and if the issue persists, edit Mac Hosts file to include this line: 198.168.x.x Guest_Computer_Name (please note that the IP address equals the virtual machine's IP) and then check how it works.

7. PaoloT1

PaoloT1 Member

I want to add an updated with my experience, years later and with different versions of macOS.
    I'm using a Sierra (10.12) client in a Mojave (10.14) host. As reported above by others, InDesign CS6 runs a bit slower than in the host machine, but reasonably well. It is even more stable, and probably manages the memory better with huge projects.
    The trackpad is not fluid, so much that sometimes it is better to scroll using the scrollbars.
    No problems in using a host folders as a shared one inside the client.

Paolo

8. PaoloT1

PaoloT1 Member

Another update to this issue. Running InDesign CS6 on Sierra causes the File Info dialog to hang the program. The dialog appears empty, and there is no way to close it. The only solution is to force-quit InDesign.
    A workaround is to export the file to IDML, edit the metadata with BBEdit, and then import the IDML file into InDesign again.
    Paolo