New MacBook Pro Touch Bar

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by hitlin, Oct 28, 2016.

1. hitlin

hitlin Bit poster

Will Parallels Desktop provide support within Windows 10 for the just announced MacBook Pro Touch Bar?

I assume the default will have to be to display only function keys, but are there any plans to make use of the advanced Touch Bar features within Parallels?

MarkC18 likes this.
  2. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi Hitlin, we are aware of that and our dev team is working on this. We will update you as soon as we have an update regarding the support for MacBook Pro Touch Bar.

3. DanielL1

DanielL1 Bit poster

Can you confirm that the normal function keys will work in a Windows VM via the touch bar? I rely on a Windows VM and Visual Studio for work and need the function keys to work, so need to be sure before I upgrade to the new MBP!
    Regards,
    Dan.

4. MatthewS4

MatthewS4 Bit poster

Any answer on this? I'm in the same boat and need to know if the touch bar function keys will act normally in a Windows 10 VM. Thanks!

5. buckZor

buckZor Bit poster

What about Touch ID for biometrics to the Windows 10 VM via Windows Hello? That would be AWESOME

6. GrahamW5

GrahamW5 Bit poster

Hi guys, just got a new MB Pro with touch bar, can confirm function work although you have to press the fn key to get them!

If any more info is needed, please let me know and I'll do my best to help!

MarkC18 likes this.
  7. buckZor

buckZor Bit poster

can you pass any biometrics through to the virt? Meaning, can you leverage windows hello with the touch id?

8. MatthewS4

MatthewS4 Bit poster

Hi Graham. Could you check this out to see if you can always have the function keys when in the VM. According to an Apple support article you can force function keys to always stay on for specified apps. Try this:
    1. In System Preferences (in MacOS), choose Keyboard.
    2. Click Shortcuts.
    3. From the left sidebar, select Function Keys.
    4. Click the "+" symbol, then navigate to the app and select it. Presumably Parallels would be an app that can be chosen from this list.
    After that try flipping back and forth between Mac side and VM side and see if the function keys pop up when you're in the VM. Your help is much appreciated!
    The full doc is here if you need it...
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207240

DesF likes this.
  9. GrahamW5

GrahamW5 Bit poster

Hi Matt, I can confirm this is true! Once setup switching between the two switches the function keys on for Parallels and then back to normal once in the Mac.
    And thanks for the tip :)

10. GrahamW5

GrahamW5 Bit poster

Hi buckZor, as far as I can see the Touch ID can't be picked up by Windows and so far there is no way to pass the device through to Windows control, I have attached a screen shot of the Windows Hello setup showing it as being unavailable.

Attached Files:

buckZor likes this.
  11. DesF

DesF Bit poster

I can confirm that MatthewS4 is right in what he's suggesting :D

12. MatthewS4

MatthewS4 Bit poster

Awesome! Thanks Graham and Des!

13. buckZor

buckZor Bit poster

14. MichaelW12

MichaelW12 Bit poster

Hey all. So it sounds like the touch bar can be configured to behave like normal function keys running Windows under Parallels. This is great. Has anybody tried running some flavor of Linux under Parallels? Intuitively, the situation should be identical, but confirmation would be useful. Thanks!

15. DustinM1

DustinM1 Bit poster

While the steps mentioned in this thread to show the function keys for the Parallels app do work, the same steps do not produce any result if using Coherence mode. I hope this is on the priority list :)

16. blueridge

blueridge Junior Member

I am using the latest Parallels update. I confirm that the "flip" does not work in Coherence, but also, in any mode, I am not getting the windows fn key response, only the Mac's. The OS X Keyboard system preference for the 2016 MBP with Sierra does not have the same menu as the KB114309. There is no, "Use all F1, F2, etc. as standard function keys"

So, in Excel the f9 does not recalculate, nor does f11 bring up VB debug window.

Is there another option?

Edit:
    I have discovered that holding the "Option" key down while pressing F11 (Out of Coherence) will bring up the VB debug window. It does NOT recalculate Excel with F9. In Coherence, holding both the fn and option keys while pressing F11 also works for the VB debug window.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
  17. LuisM4

LuisM4 Bit poster

Hi Blueridge,

I'm running sierra and the option mention on KB114309 is still there. Go to Preferences -> Keyboard and it's the last checkbook of the first panel (not in shortcuts, true).

Check that and try again the excels shortcuts.

Hope this helps

Luis

Maria@Parallels likes this.
  18. Thanks a lot for provided workaround.

19. GregorG1

GregorG1 Bit poster

Any update on this? Or will this just be part of the Parallels 13 build...?

20. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

As a workaround, you can try the following steps:
    1. Make sure Parallels Tools are installed in your Virtual Machine. Install or reinstall Parallels Tools if necessary.
    2. Open System Preferences on Mac -> tick on "Share keyboard, emoji and Symbol Viewers in menu bar"