Cannot change screen resolution

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by JohnM31, Jan 7, 2017.

1. JohnM31

JohnM31 Bit poster

I'm using parallels 12 and have just installed windows 10. Everything is working perfectly except for the screen resolution. The resolution is stuck at 1024x768 and the option to change it is grayed out. The display driver is showing as 'Microsoft basic display driver' and my monitor is showing as a generic non-PnP monitor. What do I have to do to fix this problem as currently it just looks terrible. i am using a macbook pro retina 2015

JanE2 likes this.
  2. Swati@Parallels

Swati@Parallels

Hello John, please follow the below steps and keep us updated on your progress:
    1. Start Parallels Desktop ( Do not start Windows Virtual Machine )
    2. Go to Virtual Machine configuration > Options tab > Full Screen > From the Scale to fit screen drop-down list choose Keep ratio.
    3. Follow the steps as suggested in the article.

3. JanE2

JanE2 Bit poster

Hello, I'm experiencing the same issues. I have put my settings to scaled and keep ratio. However, I am not able to change the resolution in Windows 10. Furthermore, I have tried to reinstall the Parallels Toolbox, which could not solve the problem either. The display driver and monitor have got the names that JohnM31 has also seen.

Attached Files:

4. Hi, did you mean Parallels Tools?

5. JanE2

JanE2 Bit poster

Oh, I'm a fool! I've just realized that I had installed Parallels Toolbox instead of Parallels Tools (not knowing that those are two different things). Thus, nothing worked like it should. Now the system works perfectly! Thanks a lot :D

6. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

Oh! great to hear that you have figured it and reinstalled Parallels Tools for resolving the issue. If you like to know more about Parallels Toolbox check this blog. Feel free to reach us anytime for support.