Parallels 12 and High Sierra

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by GianlucaB3, Sep 27, 2017.

1. GianlucaB3

GianlucaB3 Bit poster

Is Parallels 12 ready for High Sierra or the only Parallels ready is 13?
    Tks!!

2. Alfena@Parallels

Alfena@Parallels Pro

3. GianlucaB3

GianlucaB3 Bit poster

Ok thank you. OS Sietra is compatibile. And High Sierra? Is it?

4. Meenakshi@Parallels

Meenakshi@Parallels Pro

You're welcome. It is supported on Mac OS X Sierra. Parallels Desktop 12 for Mac is partially compatible on Mac OS X High Sierra. Mac OS VM with Apple File System(APFS) is not supported. Some minor issues were fixed in PD13. Our Development Team is working on it. Thanks!

5. AlanQ

AlanQ Bit poster

Parallels 12 used to be quick and responsive under Sierra. Just upgraded to High Sierra, and although Parallels 12 still works, it is unusably slow. Start up of my Windows 10 VM used to take under a minute; now it takes over 5 minutes just to get to the login screen. And everything in Windows 10 seems to have slowed down similarly. Things that used to be instantaneous now bring up a spinning wait symbol for minutes at a time.

This may be related to the fact that the High Sierra installer converted my boot drive from HFS+ to the new more robust APFS. Or recent security fixes may have invalidated tricks that Parallels used to use to run faster. Whatever the reasons, Parallels is currently not a practical way to run Windows.

I was considering upgrading to Parallels 13, but from the reports I have read online it is also painfully slow in High Sierra. I'm not going to spend good money upgrading if the new version is just as badly broken as the old one.

Macbook Pro mid 2012 with core i7 and Nvidia graphics, 1 TB SSD and 16 GB of RAM. Not a slow machine.

6. ChielM1

ChielM1 Bit poster

I have the same problem as AlanQ, since I have upgraded to High Sierra, my Windows 10 VM is incredible slow. It takes sometimes 5 minutes before the icons are in the dock and I can start working. I don' t know whether this is Parallels or Mac, but it starts to become very irritating. So please solve this problem.

7. AlanQ

AlanQ Bit poster

It gets worse. I decided to see if I could change any settings to improve performance. Started Parallels Desktop then clicked the gear icon in the small control panel window. The settings window opened, then I got a beach ball which after a few seconds stopped spinning. And at that point the whole Mac was frozen. Could not move the mouse pointer, or switch between programs with Cmd-Tab, or anything. Laptop fan started up, indicating that something was doing a lot of CPU processing. Eventually, after about 10 minutes more, the beachball started spinning again and I was able to move the mouse pointer. Cmd-Tab now brought up the row of icons for all running programs, but if I tried to select one to change focus to that program (or close one using Cmd-Q) nothing happened. After another 10 minutes or so, everything woke up and started operating pretty much normally. I made a few minor setting changes and quit Parallels. Restarted the Mac, since I did not trust it to be in a fully sane state.

It is clear that Parallels Desktop 12 has major problems in High Sierra, but if I spend my $50 and it is no better, I am out the money with no recourse.

I am going to see if I can use the 14 day free trial as an upgrade option.

8. EdB6

EdB6 Bit poster

I am having the same problem. Super slow on startup of applications and menus take a few seconds to activate.

Version 13.2.0 (43213)
    Mac OS 10.13.2 (17C88)
    Windows 10 Pro
    I have optimized both hard disk space, 98gb free on 250gb HD, and given Parallels 8gb out of 16gb of memory.

Please provide suggestions for speed optimization.

9. AlanQ

AlanQ Bit poster

To be realistic, there will not be any fix for Parallels 12. They want to sell 13 and that's where they will spend their developer hours. If I were sure that 13 on High Sierra would give me as good performance as 12 on Sierra (or better as claimed), I would be willing to pay for it. But I am not convinced that it actually will be fast. And if the real problem is with Apple not Parallels, maybe waiting for the next High Sierra release will fix things.

So I certainly don't plan to pay for an upgrade right now. I still may try the free trial and see how well it works.

10. MicheleL

MicheleL Bit poster

Hello! Thank you for all the infos. Anyone using Windows 7 with Parallels 13 (or 12) on Mac OSX High Sierra?
    I am actually using Windows 7 on Parallels 12 with macOS Sierra and it works fine. But since I am considering uprading to High Sierra, I would like to know if windows 7 works well on Parallels 13 & High Sierra. Thank you in advance for your help!

11. AlanQ

AlanQ Bit poster

I used both Windows 7 and Windows 10 on Sierra and both were fine. But Parallels 12 on High Sierra is bad news. I have not yet tried 13 but other users have reported that it is also slow. If you use Parallels a lot, I recommend staying with Sierra until there is solid evidence that Parallels 13 has been made to work acceptably there. I will report when I have tried it (the free trial).

MicheleL likes this.
  12. Hemnath@Parallels

Hemnath@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi MicheleL. We've received your response over e-mail, quoted below. You may post your responses in this thread directly.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    Thank you for your reply Alan! I will check out for your news ;-)
    -----------------------------------------------------------------

MicheleL likes this.
  13. ChielM1

ChielM1 Bit poster

I am using Parallels 13.2 and have High Sierra. It is really slow and sometimes Windows 10 doesn't start at all. Who welcome with the solution ? Parallels or Apple ?
    Under Sierra everything worked perfect, now it is a disaster !

14. KlausH6

KlausH6 Bit poster

Today when trying to open a Mac folder in XP (Parallels 12), the mouse arrow turned hourglass and stayed so. XP could neither be shut down or restarted. Parallels could not be shut down with XP being shut down at the same time. XP remains frozen (but hourglass can be moved around).
    How can I restart XP in this case?