Boot Camp Error on Creation: Error: PRL_ERR_INVALID_ARG (0x80000003)

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by StefanK11, Oct 6, 2017.

1. StefanK11

StefanK11 Bit poster

Hi,

after upgrading to to High Sierra, I was unable to access my Windows Boot Camp Partition using Parallels 12. So I figured, since Parallels 13 is suppose to be ready for High Sierra, I would buy a copy and the problem should be solved.

Unfortunately, this is not the case. With Parallels 13 I get the following Error Code:
    Error: PRL_ERR_INVALID_ARG (0x80000003)

As well as a message that reads "A disk configuration error has occurred. Make sure that you have read/write permissions for the disk.".

I tried to find information about this code on the internet, though without any success so far.
    Does anyone else have this problem, or knows how to fix it?
    With High Sierra, my Mac's macOS partition was converted to the new APFS, as it is stored on an SSD. Could this be a factor?

Thank you in advance for replying!

2. JaspalS1

JaspalS1 Bit poster

I get it too. support offered me a teamviewer session to resolve it. I don't know if they really do know how to resolve it or whether this is just a default response to my ticket.

3. NickB1

NickB1 Bit poster

Same here. I've got the exact same message and I'm in the exact same situation.
    I used Parallels 13 on one of the High Sierra betas so I know that it worked at one point! But now that I have the final release installed, I can't get Parallels to work at all. Just after clicking continue on the Windows Reactivation warning screen, the 'disk configuration error' message pops up with the PRL_ERR_INVALID_ARG(0x80000003) error code and the path to the virtual HDD alias for the Boot Camp partition.
    I've tried ignoring the automated Boot Camp install assistant and just assigning the Boot Camp drive as a new hard drive in a VM but it comes up with the same error.

4. GarethD2

GarethD2 Bit poster

Hello All,

I have the same issue, Updated to 13 and then spotted bootcamp is supported now. but get the same message.
    Contacted support via messenger and waiting for an answer/assistance

5. MatthewW4

MatthewW4 Bit poster

I'm here for pretty much the same reason. PVM wouldn't load immediately after upgrading to OS High Sierra. I am currently running Parallels Version 12.2.1 (41615) and receive the message below. I tried disconnecting the HD using the control center and reconnecting, thus far it isn't working. Below is the error I receive.

Error: PRL_ERR_DISK_FILE_OPEN_ERROR (0x80021014)
    Path: '/Users/matthewwells/Parallels/Windows 7 Virtual Machine.pvm/APPLE HDD ST3000DM001 (disk1).hdd'

- Matthew

6. JaspalS1

JaspalS1 Bit poster

Did you get anywhere with this?
    Another thread seems to suggest removing system integrity protection using csrutil disable (then csrutil enable after installing the vm) from recovery mode -that didn't work for me.

7. MikhailA

MikhailA Bit poster

I am getting the same with plain Sierra and Windows 10.

8. GarethD2

GarethD2 Bit poster

The suggested disable integrity protection still gives me the same result, still waiting on support for an alternative.

9. SanjayP1

SanjayP1 Bit poster

I'm getting the same error this morning..contacted support via FB Messenger, waiting to hear back.
    PRL_ERR_INVALID_ARG (0x80000003)

Running High Sierra and Windows 10 Creators

10. StefanK11

StefanK11 Bit poster

Okay, so I got it to work now. Short version of the workaround is: I had to format the entire drive, reinstall the OS, restore data from TimeMachine and set up a new BootCamp partition within High Sierra up to get it to work with . So the long version is:
    1. Ran TimeMachine Backup.
    2. On Windows, backup all vital data.
    3. Shut down Computer.
    4. Start from macOS-Recovery.
    5. Using Disk Utility, I erased the entire drive, including all partitions.
    6. Using Disk Utility, setting up just one APFS partition.
    7. Within macOS-Recovery, installing macOS High Sierra on the newly created blank APFS partition.
    8. Recover Data from TimeMachine Backup by hand. (I did not want to use the migration assistant, in case any corrupted Parallels settings would be transferred. I wanted to know exactly, what data would be transferred, especially within the Libraries. Not sure if that's necessary - this way worked for me though.)
    9. Create new BootCamp Partition using the High Sierra Boot Camp Assistant.
    10. Install Windows.
    11. Copied vital data back onto Windows.
    12. Re-Installed my applications both of Windows and on macOS
    13. Used Parallels 13 to setup the access to my BootCamp Partition.

So, I guess this is rather a workaround solution than an actual fix, since it was quite time consuming. I do however need both macOS and well as Windows on a daily bases, preferably side by side in most scenarios - therefore I am quite relieved that it works again!

11. GarethD2

GarethD2 Bit poster

Thanks, damn I was hoping I dont have to blow it all away and start again.

As that is a huge disruption I will wait a while and hopefully hear back from support on a possible fix.

12. sidneysch

sidneysch Bit poster

@thread starter:
    I have the exact same error with the latest version.

13. KrzysztofK1

KrzysztofK1 Bit poster

I have exactly same error with High Sierra 10.13.1 Beta (17B25c), Parallels Desktop 13.1.0 (43108) and Windows 10 Creators Update... :(
    I hope that Parallels will fix it soon.

14. Casey

Casey Bit poster

I have the exact same error. I have uninstalled Parallels, redownloaded and installed, no go. I have done recovery on the Mac OS. I have verified, by booting into Windows on my Boot Camp partition that it is valid and still working. I checked with Apple Support who sent me right back to Parallel's support who could not help and set up a ticket to the next level. The only issue is that I have to work tomorrow and my system is not functioning.

15. StefanK11

StefanK11 Bit poster

I do hope, they come up with a solution. I do agree, it was a huge disruption.

I did see some indications, that it might be an error on Apple's part - but if all of you are able to reproduce this (and if someone at Parallels is also reading this), it may be helpful to Parallels to fix the issue:
    Up front a short disclaimer; I am not an expert on this subject (obviously), I just noticed this odd behaviour and am interested, whether you have similar observations.
    What happens to those of you with the error described above, if you start the Boot Camp Assistant?
    Usually it should let you erase the Boot Camp Partition and add the then freed space to your macOS partition. However before I erased all Partitions and build it from the grounds up, the Boot Camp Assistant gave me an error as well. It said, it could only execute this task on HFS+ partitions.
    Does this happen to you as well?

Then, after I had erased everything, built a single APFS Partition on the disk, and freshly installed High Sierra, when I executed the Boot Camp Assistant it said something like "Adding new APFS Partition" or so. (I'm not 100% sure about the exact phrase, I just remember that I was a bit confused, since it read something with APFS and Windows can't deal with APFS at all at the moment. It did format this newly added partition to NTFS.)

Now afterwards, when I start the Boot Camp Assistant, it doesn't mention HFS+ at any point. I could erase the Windows partition and rejoin the space with my macOS partition, if I wanted to. So there must be a difference on Apple's part as well. (Or a bug on my system before the reinstallation.)

So I'm curious: are you seeing a similar behaviour on your machines? Is the Boot Camp Assistant saying anything about HFS+ on your Macs running with APFS after conversion from HFS+ during the upgrade?

16. UmairR

UmairR Bit poster

Same issue for me. Is there any way to restore your windows VM w/o having to blow away everything?

17. UmairR

UmairR Bit poster

Yup- for me it was after installing the Windows 10 Creators Update

18. Martijnv4

Martijnv4 Bit poster

I have the same issue, noticed in the eror that the forward slashes were missing:
    Path: '/Users/martijn/Documents/Parallels/Bootcamp Test.pvm/UsersmartijnDocumentsParallelsBootcamp Test.pvmBootcamp Test-1.hdd.hdd'

Originally I didn't even notice this, initially I just tried to create a bootcamp install following the wizard and after starting it got the error message 'There is no operating system installed in this virtual machine' and was dropped in an EFI shell. Only when trying to add a bootcamp partition manually to an empty VM I got above message.

I run on a 2016 iMac Retina with High Sierra, not converted to APFS yet here, do have a fusion drive.

19. d.b

d.b Bit poster

This error after the Windows 10 Creators Update. I upgraded to Parallels 13 at this point, but the error persistss

20. Alfena@Parallels

Alfena@Parallels Pro

Hello All,
    The BootCamp issue has been fixed with the latest build of Parallels Desktop 13.1.0. Please update Parallels Desktop to the latest build http://kb.parallels.com/111603 and check if it works.

Thanks