Unable to Install new MacOS High Sierra VM from Recovery Partition

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by DavidC35, Oct 18, 2017.

1. DavidC35

DavidC35 Bit poster

I'm attempting to install a fresh VM of MacOS High Sierra using Parallels 13.1.0 (43108). I'm able to begin the installation, but mid-way through the install, I'm shown this error:

"POSIX reports: The operation couldn't be completed. No such file or directory. Quit the installer to restart your computer and try again."

Upon reboot, I'm shown this error message:

"The path: /System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg appears to be missing or damaged. Quick the installer to restart your computer and try again."

Is this supposed to work? I've read your notices about known issues with High Sierra and Parallels 13, but I was unable to determine whether this is covered by them. Is there an alternate way to install any fresh MacOS VM on Parallels 13 (even if it's not High Sierra)?

DawnD2 likes this.
  2. Alfena@Parallels

Alfena@Parallels Pro

Hello @DavidC35 ,

Kindly follow the below steps to install High Sierra as a virtual machine and check if it works

> Download the OS High Sierra installation app from AppStore.
    Go to Parallels Desktop menu bar -> File -> New...
    > Click on "Install Windows or another OS from a DVD or image file", then click Continue.
    Check to see if the OS X installation image was automatically detected by the Wizard. If so, click Continue. If the OS X installation image was not automatically detected:
    > Open Finder and navigate to the Applications folder.
    >Locate the "Install OS High Sierra" application.
    >In Parallels Wizard click "Locate manually", then click "Image file".
    >Drag and drop the "Install OS High Sierra" app into the Parallels Wizard.
    The installation image will be detected. Press Continue.
    >A dialog box asking to create the bootable image will appear. Click Continue.
    Name the resulting image file and its location, and click Save.
    Wait until the disk is created. This may take some time.
    Once the bootable image is created, click Continue.
    If the virtual machine unexpectedly shuts down, restart it to begin the OS High Sierra
    installation.
    Continue with the OS High Sierra installation.
    Once the OS X is installed, install Parallels Tools.

Thanks

3. DawnD2

DawnD2 Bit poster

Having the exact same issue here, following these instructions and still getting the same error.

4. DavidC35

DavidC35 Bit poster

These instructions worked for me. Thank you.

5. Meenakshi@Parallels

Meenakshi@Parallels Pro

Glad to know that you were able to sort out the issue. Please get back to us for any further queries. Thanks!

6. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi @DawnD2, we released a new update Parallels Desktop 13 for Mac Update 1 Hotfix 1 (13.1.1-43120) and this update addresses this issue. To check for updates, click on the Parallels Desktop menu on Mac menu bar and select Check for Updates: http://kb.parallels.com/124262

7. IanL5

IanL5 Bit poster

I'm having this exact issue with Parallels Version 13.2.0 (43213) and a fully patched version of High Sierra 10.13.3. The error is:
    "Unable to create disk image from recovery. Some application, lively DiskUtility is blocking access to recovery image."

8. MaxM5

MaxM5 Bit poster

Maybe FileValt is activated?!

TirthankarB likes this.
  9. TirthankarB

TirthankarB Junior Member

Would surely do that. Hope it works