Installing Ubuntu 17.10 on Parallels Desktop 3

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by Phantom620, Oct 20, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Phantom620

Phantom620 Bit poster

Is there a way to install 17.10 from the Parallels default installation page? At present, it is not a listed option. If that is not supported has anyone installed it directly from ISO's?

2. ChristopherS8

ChristopherS8 Bit poster

I have Parallels Desktop 13 and I just tried to create a 17.10 guest using ubuntu-17.10-desktop-amd64.iso which I manually downloaded from Ubuntu's website.

The installation process seems to go well until the very end when the prompt "Please remove the installation medium, then press ENTER:" appears. Pressing "Enter" has no effect, not even after manually re-selecting "Disconnect" from Parallel's Devices > CD/DVD menu; the process just hangs there and cycles through the 4 progress dots indefinitely.

[​IMG]

3. Jean-ClaudeW

Jean-ClaudeW Bit poster

Same here: hangs on shutdown.

4. Phantom620

Phantom620 Bit poster

I downloaded Ubuntu 17.10 and converted into an ISO file. I then created a new OS "partition" in Parallels 13. I then installed the ISO using the default choices that were offered. It worked well. I did not notice any hang up at the end. I was able to boot up the Ubuntu and continue configuration without problems. Well done Ubuntu team!

5. ChristopherS8

ChristopherS8 Bit poster

I don't understand what you mean. Unless you're release-upgrading an existing Ubuntu installation via APT, Ubuntu releases are only officially distributed as ISO images. Even the downloadable .img files for Ubuntu Server are ISO images that are bit-identical to their corresponding .iso files, they simply have a different filename extension. So how did you download a non-ISO version of Ubuntu 17.10 and what process did you use to convert it to ISO?

I don't understand this either. Parallels Desktop doesn't create partitions on the host or in the guest, it only creates virtual disk image files. The Ubuntu installer allows custom partitioning within the virtual disk image however. Did you use the Ubuntu installer?

6. Phantom620

Phantom620 Bit poster

Yes, I used the installer that was contained in the ISO. I was trying to point out that it worked fine. I have been installing Linux on Laptops for over 10 years, and this installation was very easy and trouble free.

7. Phantom620

Phantom620 Bit poster

Sorry, I used the wrong terminology. Yes, I downloaded the ISO from the Ubuntu site. I created a file that would allow me to load the iso onto a memory stick. Then, I switched back to loading Ubuntu in a new Virtual Disk. It all worked quite well...

8. Pbryanw

Pbryanw Junior Member

Hi, just to add to this, upgrading from Ubuntu 17.04 to 17.10 worked for me (using Parallels 13.1.1 on macOS High Sierra), and I encountered no problems doing so.

To be on the safe side, I uninstalled Parallels Tools before proceeding with the upgrade, by entering this in terminal:
    Code:
    sudo /usr/lib/parallels-tools/install -r
    Next, I just followed the Ubuntu 17.10 upgrade process and, after about a one minute reboot delay after reinstalling Parallels Tools, everything is working fine. Graphics acceleration & copy&pasting between OSes seems to be working too. (Update: Automatic login isn't working correctly for me even after following solutions in this thread. Also, the Parallels window needs to be made smaller, than maximized, every time I start 17.10 to get the optimum resolution).

Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
  9. Arun@Parallels

Arun@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi @Pbryanw , thank you for sharing this with us. We appreciate your time and participation.

10. XavierS3

XavierS3 Bit poster

Please note that this doesn't fully work with Parallels 12. After installation of parallel tools on ubuntu 17.10, a message is displayed about required kernel modules being missing. I'm guessing parallel-tools has been updated only for Parallels 13, and the change hasn't been backported to 12.

11. Pbryanw

Pbryanw Junior Member

In the end, I was able to enable automatic logon (after upgrading to 17.10) by editing custom.conf. Edit this file using terminal:
    Code:
    sudo nano /etc/gdm3/custom.conf
    Make sure these lines in this file are un-commented (by removing the # at the beginning of these lines):
    Code:
    AutomaticLoginEnable = true
    AutomaticLogin = user1
    WaylandEnable = false
    Where user1 is replaced with your own username. Also setting WaylandEnable=false seemed to be key for me. Thanks to the Ubuntu Forums thread for this fix. Again, this was using Parallels 13 - looks like Parallels 12 hasn't been updated to work with 17.10 (thanks XavierS3).

12. ChristopherS8

ChristopherS8 Bit poster

The reason you had to set WaylandEnable=false is probably because Parallels Tools seems to install a custom display driver that isn't supported by Wayland and that makes Ubuntu fall back to using the X.org display server instead. I hope Parallels can fix that so we can use Wayland in Ubuntu 17.10 and newer.

Pbryanw likes this.
  13. alicet

alicet Bit poster

I do not know how to install it. Because it looks pretty hard...

14. Elizabeth Anderson

Elizabeth Anderson Member