Writing to external USB floppy from Windows

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by cwelcher, Sep 26, 2007.

1. cwelcher

cwelcher Bit poster

(I'm writing this for wife, so I'm not currently in front of the Mac in question.)

We have Vista loaded as guest OS on her MacBook Pro to run her windows-only sewing embroidery software. Software works fine. She needs to be able to write a windows-formatted floppy to transfer data to her sewing machine (only method available). I do understand that Parallels creates the "virtual floppy" drive and this allows her to run her software just fine and that Parallels doesn't recognize the external USB floppy drive (the Mac recognizes it fine). I've searched through the forum and can't find a solution to my problem. My experience with Windows has generally been as an end user, not a system troubleshooter. I also haven't interacted much with Parallels since it's my wife's primary laptop.

QUESTION: Is there a way to write the data on the virtual floppy drive (written by the sewing software) to a windows-formatted floppy via the external USB floppy drive?

Thanks,

2. cwelcher

cwelcher Bit poster

Resolution

The solution was a simple one. From the Windows side she was able to open the the virtual floppy drive and copy the data over to the shared win/mac folder. From the Mac side she was then able to copy the data onto the floppy disk via the USB floppy drive. We were able to verify the data on her sewing machine.

After discovering the answer I almost feel stupid for asking the question, but oh, well.

3. Hugh Watkins

Hugh Watkins Forum Maven

"the only stupid question is the one you did not ask"

as an experiment

try PD menu >> devices >> shared folders >> add

with a floppy in the drive
    I share all my drives and my <username > desktop folder

and let us all know if that works please

Hugh W