Parallels Tools won't install

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by EdDog79, Sep 11, 2007.

1. EdDog79

EdDog79 Bit poster

I was running 4560, tried to upgrade to 5160...

There were problems with full screen mode (the VM desktop was unmovable in the upper left corner of my screen), and coherence mode didn't work whatsoever. In trying to figure out why, I noticed that Parallels Tools 4560 was still running in the VM. So (maybe it was a bad idea) but I went to Control Panel, add/remove, and uninstalled Parallels Tools (thinking that I would reinstall the 5160 tools). Logged out of VM, uninstalled Parallels, restarted, reinstalled, logged back in to VM, and Parallels Tools did not install. So I went to Actions, Install Parallels Tools, and NOTHING HAPPENS. There seems to be nothing I can do now to make Parallels Tools install... I can't even go back to 4560. As suggested in another thread, I have already booted into safe mode and removed the Parallels Tools registry key in Windows as suggested...

Can someone please advise how I can get Parallels Tools working again, in either build? Thank you very much!

2. Stacey M

Stacey M Parallels Team

Hello,

first of all, let's make sure, that you have fully uninstalled your Parallels Tools.
    Look into this article please.

Best regards,
    Stacey

3. EdDog79

EdDog79 Bit poster

Thanks for the reply -

That article was actually the first I refered to when the problem arose. Parallels Tools was definitely completely uninstalled.

I actually got it to reinstall by invoking Parallels by clicking "Parallels Tools.app" that was left behind after the uninstall after the uninstallation of 4560. Still, when starting the VM in the usual means (through the .pvs file / Parallels application), there was no installation of Tools possible (either automatically or by "Install Parallels Tools" on the Actions menu).

It would be nice to be able to upgrade the build sometime, but I guess I learned my lesson - if it's not broken, don't make any changes. It just seems like upon an uninstall of an old build followed by an install of a new build, there shouldn't be a conflict of versions of Parallels Tools (one of the very things the new build is intended to improve). How should installation of the new build happen so these conflicts don't occur?

4. Stacey M

Stacey M Parallels Team

Hello,

may be you have some problems with autorun on your CD/DVD-disk.
    Let's try this way.
    Click one more time Actions -> Install Parallels Tools.
    Wait a little.
    Then go to My Computer. There must be CD "Parallels Tools setup disk". You should start file named "PrlTools" from there.

Best regards,
    Stacey

Last edited: Sep 14, 2007
  5. dorian88

dorian88 Member

I am having the exact same problem. Unable to install parallels tools and coherence mode doesn't work at all either.

I waited a bit after installing parallels tools and I did not see the parallels install disc appear in my computer.

please let me know what to do next. thanks

6. johnv

johnv Parallels Team Parallels Team

Do you see a "D" drive in MyComputer (with or w/o Tools)? Try to connect the ISO image with Parallels Tools manually.

7. dorian88

dorian88 Member

I don't see the D drive at all. How do I find the parallels tools ISO image?

thanks

8. johnv

johnv Parallels Team Parallels Team

Try this solution:
    http://kb.parallels.com/entry/42/537/

Best regards,
    John