Remove Windows OS Applications from Spotlight Search.

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by ariestav, Jan 25, 2011.

1. ariestav

ariestav Bit poster

Hi There,

Is it possible to have Spotlight *not* find Windows-based applications? I tend to use Spotlight to launch applications, and in some cases I inadvertantly click on an app that must run in Parallels. I don't want that to happen because I just don't want to launch Parallels Desktop unless I do so explicitly. I know I can configure Spotlight to catalog certain things, but not others. However, I am more interested in just disabling the applications installed on the Windows guest OS. IUf you have any tips, suggestions, or advice to disable them, please share! Thank you for your time and help!

2. MikeMo

MikeMo Member

System Preferences/Spotlight/Privacy Click on the "+" button and choose the directory:

/Users/"your home folder"/Applications

to exclude it from the spotlight search.

BeauD1 likes this.
  3. ariestav

ariestav Bit poster

Thank you, that was exactly what I was looking for. Works perfectly!

4. eltoozero

eltoozero Bit poster

There's a built-in way, don't use that method.

Virtual Machine menu > Configure > Applications section > Disable "Share Windows Applications with Mac"

jungwonj likes this.
  5. >>> Message has been deleted by the user <<<

6. Smudge2

Smudge2 Member

Unfortunately it won't work. If you remove the application link, it will be put back either when the application is accessed within the VM or when you reboot the VM the Parallels Tools will scan the VM for applications and rebuild the list.

I would love if it could be an option within the preferences to selectively choose which applications are shared to the Mac side.

7. JebinS

JebinS Bit poster

fixed

Go to Spotlight settings. go to privacy and add Application (parallel) folder from user folder to prevent spotlight list

8. TerranO

TerranO Bit poster

Hi JebinS,

Unfortunately, your suggestion is not working, as you can see by this screenshot:

[​IMG]

Steps taken:
    - System Preferences > Spotlight
    - Added "Applications (Parallels)" folder to Privacy (excludes)
    - Restarted

Please advise - how can I keep the Parallels Windows 10 shortcuts from showing up in Spotlight?

9. Arun@Parallels

Arun@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi @TerranO , please let us know how may virtual machines you have.

10. Kushtrim

Kushtrim Bit poster

Hi Arun, sorry how to check how many VM I have on Parallels 13?

11. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

You can check the number of virtual machines on Parallels Desktop Control Center. Confirm if you like to disable Application sharing or just Spotlight search result.