Hang or stuck spinner on startup in Windows 10 1803 during or after update...

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by viola, May 10, 2018.

Tags:
  1. viola

viola Hunter

After update to 1803 on two Macs with Parallels 13, I am getting the SAME spinning loader icon or image when Windows 10 1803 starts to start on BOTH systems with entirely different Windows 10 installations:
    [​IMG]

I can't seem to figure out any way to make it stop at this point. There doesn't appear to be any way to get into Safe Mode. Any ideas?

2. AJ@Parallels

AJ@Parallels

Hello Viola, Kindly start the Windows virtual machine and go to the top menu bar, click on Actions--> Take snapshot. once the snapshot is done then again click on Actions--> Reset and then check with the Windows virtual machine.

donncon likes this.
  3. viola

viola Hunter

Same result. I do see the white arrow cursor and the blue spinner circle spinner for a couple seconds, but then it's just white cursor and the spinner from the capture above keeps going.

4. viola

viola Hunter

Not a good solution, but it works to get Windows 10 working again:

If I bind a key combination in System Preferences -> Keyboard -> App Shortcuts for Parallels to Menu Title: Reset and something like control-option-command-shift-D for quick resetting, I can then use this to force it to go into Automatic Repair. This then allows me to get into "Advanced options".

Following this I used "Go back to previous version" and Windows is working again.

I then changed the network interfaces to be metered connections to prevent updating without permission through Winaero Tweaker (Network -> Set Ethernet as Metered Connection: Enable "Set Ethernet as metered connection"). While I was in there I also changed Boot and Logon -> Boot Options and I enabled "Turn on Windows 7-like boot menu" to prevent having to take drastic boot options (constant reset) in the future if something happens.

This is a terrible "solution", but it is the only thing I've found to keep Windows working right now.

5. If you were able to login to Windows, please select Actions (from the Mac menu bar) -> Take Snapshot. Then refer this article to perform a clean boot which will disable the third party startup items and you can try the Windows updates once again. In case if anything goes wrong, you can refer this article to revert back to the Snapshot.

6. AlBundy33

AlBundy33 Member

Try to remove additional hardware from hardware tab (e.g. USB and Bluetooth devices) - maybe this helps.

7. viola

viola Hunter

@AlBundy33 unfortunately it happened on two different workstations without any devices attached to the VM.

Like I noted above @Sathiya@Parallels, this happened on two different guests on two different machines. The snapshot method didn't work when it was spinning, so I guess I can take a snapshot and try reinstalling to see how it goes.

8. AlBundy33

AlBundy33 Member

9. AndrewM11

AndrewM11 Bit poster

I'm so tired of restoring my system from backup. None of the suggestions for getting Windows to work after the forced 1803 update work. I have no desire to "reset my pc" and lose all of my installed software. Why isn't there a real fix for this issue? I should not have to spend an hour a day reloading the vm from a backup in order to be able to use Windows.

10. AlBundy33

AlBundy33 Member

Did you read my linked thread?
    I have not said that you should restore your system from a backup or that you should reset your pc.

Just make a snapshot of you vm in parallels, remove usb und bluetoth entry from hardware tab and reset your vm profile.
    Now you can test if the update works.
    If not you can go back to you snapshot in seconds.

11. AndrewM11

AndrewM11 Bit poster

Success, at last. Read further....

I never had USB & Bluetooth active - so I can't disable something that is not enabled. It still went to the endless dot wheel on black screen after the update. I had also done the other suggested fix of reseting the configuration profile. No matter what, if I left the VM running for any length of time windows decides its a good time to install the update and when I get back to the machine there the black screen is again. But.....

...after your email & before I responded, I tried it again, but this time I restored the VM first from a backup that pre-dated Windows downloading the update in the background (so that the power options no longer showed "Update and Restart" & "Update and Shutdown"). From that older copy of the VM, I then shutdown (after the forced parallels toolbox update occurred), *then* reset the configuration profile and turned off USB 3.0 support under hardware (again, I was not using any BT or USB anyway), then restart. System was still working as expected. Did another restart and then let Windows Update try the 1803 update along with several others that were pending like KB4103729 update for adobe flash player. Several hours and auto-reboots later the system rebooted and presented a normal-looking login window (not a 640x480 upper left corner of a larger screen as it had done a couple times). Fingers crossed I logged in and it started more housekeeping tasks while telling me to wait, but after a few minutes it showed the desktop. I did a couple more restarts and it continues to behave normally.

So the recommendation works (thanks!) but the trick seems to be you have to use a VM that has not already downloaded the 1830 update in the background and prepared its install packages.

12. AndrewM11

AndrewM11 Bit poster

Another point that parallels staff should be aware of is that VMware Fusion 10.1.2 did not exhibit this problem after the 1803 update - it continued to operate normally, albeit with their longstanding sluggish host file system access issues.