Windows 10 VM pauses periodically, ignores mouse/keyboard

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by RodB, Feb 27, 2017.

1. RodB

RodB Member

@PragmaticPraxis - Disappointing. It has been frustrating to have had such (what seemed like) great interaction at first. I was really pleased that this led to actually working with a "secondline support engineer" named Ivan Dosov . Several conversations ensued and I submitted several core dumps as requested. The conversations continued into July -- we spoke regularly -- and then, unfortunate timing, I went on vacation. After returning, I could not get an answer on any front. In October, I came back to this thread to see if I could get any action. I just now found an @IvanDDosov tag so maybe adding him here will get a response.

2. RodB

RodB Member

@Dmitry@Parallels -- This continues to be an issue. It has not gone away. Please update this thread with any suggested actions for further testing to identify the issue.

3. RodB

RodB Member

@Dmitry@Parallels -- I was able to update to Parallels 13.3 today. Since that upgrade, I have not had the issue occur. I've been using it most of the day without an incident and feel I would've normally had one by now. I'll continue to monitor over the next week but it looks like this may be finally -- FINALLY -- resolved.
    NOTE: It isn't clear to me why it didn't inform me of the available updates. I've been running 12.2.1 for a while and have always had it set to automatically check for updates. For some reason, it did not inform me of any of the updates available since.

4. RodB

RodB Member

@Dmitry@Parallels -- Nope. Just had it happen again. Dang...

It does seem to be doing it less frequently today. 'Don't know if that is due to the upgrade (I hope) or simply an anomaly and it will go back to presenting the problem more frequently tomorrow.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
  5. RodB

RodB Member

@Dmitry@Parallels -- After using this for two weeks, I can confirm that the upgrade to Parallels 13.3.0 has made a significant difference. It still pauses occasionally but it has been reduced to once or twice a day instead of every few minutes. Can anyone respond to this thread and tell us whether this was an intentional fix or just fortunate?

6. RodB

RodB Member

@Dmitry@Parallels -- Recently received the upgrade to 13.3.1 and continue to see an improvement. The frequency continues to be about once or twice a day but, just as important, the time for recovery (for when I regain mouse control) has been reduced to a couple seconds instead of 5-10 seconds.

7. Dmitry@Parallels

Dmitry@Parallels Parallels Team

Thank you for the update @RodB, sorry if I'm not responding to every message, but rest assured that I read them.

8. RodB

RodB Member

@Dmitry@Parallels - Hmm... I may have to rescind my previous post :(. I am definitely experiencing much more frequently with 13.3.1. It seemed like it was the same as 13.3.0 but it is very noticeable today. The time for recovery remains an improvement -- still a couple seconds instead of the 5-10 second recovery I used to see.
    Is there a way to go back to 13.3.0 just so I can test and see if it is any better?

9. Dmitry@Parallels

Yes you can download version 13.3.0 here: https://goo.gl/RcHQ5Y
    Let me know the results please.

10. RodB

RodB Member

@Dmitry@Parallels -- I downloaded 13.3.0 and installed it. It still seems to recover much faster so that is a plus. And I think this pauses less often but hard to say for sure. I am still evaluating and will report back when I feel I have more definite results. Really, really wish we could identify and resolve this issue. It is very frustrating to try and work and regularly get interrupted because the mouse stops responding.

11. RodB

RodB Member

@Dmitry@Parallels -- I recently was notified of the 13.3.2 update. With all that it apparently fixed -- including some mouse-related issues -- I was hopeful it might fix my issue. I has not. I'm not sure yet whether it has made any improvement but it certainly hasn't made it go away; I had an episode occur later that same day after the upgrade.

12. RodB

RodB Member

@Dmitry@Parallels -- Well, I'm done. I have now gone to v14.0.1 and this issue persists. I am moving back to a Windows laptop and I will no longer be using Parallels at all. I will no longer be posting on this issue; this is my last entry. That may be a happy day for Parallels Support (since they won't hear from me anymore) but it is a sad day for me and for Parallels in general.

13. Dmitry@Parallels

@RodB, I am very sorry to hear that.. As a last resort, can you start from scratch? Do a clean install of macOS (preferably 10.14 Mojave), reinstall Parallels Desktop and install a new Windows virtual machine? We really have no reproduction of this issue, very few customers among millions reported this hehavior..

14. PragmaticPraxis

PragmaticPraxis Bit poster

Hmm, and VMWare 11 has DX10.1 via Metal. So not only better DX version support than Parallels, but better performance too. Time to switch teams, Parallels has become a bit of a joke.

15. Dmitry@Parallels

Hi @PragmaticPraxis, we have DX10.1 for three years now, not via Metal yet, but what's the difference?
    Regarding performance, what exactly do you refer to? Overall VM performance? UI responsibility?

16. PragmaticPraxis

PragmaticPraxis Bit poster

Dmitry,
    good point about DX10.1. I guess the frustration of no MEANINGFUL performance improvements over the last few years leads to forgetfulness of what Parallels actually did do in years past.
    As for performance, I want to see improved graphics performance for professional tools; Revit, AutoCAD, etc. I could care less about gamers, but if they gain performance too then fine. My biggest complaint is that bugs continue to NOT be fixed while Parallels CLAIMS it's an isolated instance and then seems to avoid actually looking in to the problem (I made time to work with a Parallels engineer and was basically told "They have an hour for you tomorrow, if that doesn't fit your schedule, screw you."
    We pay every year and all we get are more and more bundled app BS, and ridiculous lipstick on a pig improvements. Wow, my VM launches in 8 seconds instead of 10, and then it's slow as shit in Revit, as it has been for the last three years? I'm supposed to be impressed with that in a "pro" app? Really?
    All that said, it is possible that VMware and the Metal implementation of DX is no faster than the current Parallels implementation. I'll know soon enough, as I will be using the Revit benchmark I authored to test both Parallels and VMware on an iMac Pro and an older MBP. If VMware is faster I'm gone. Maybe Parallels knows Metal doesn't buy us anything, and is just so cynical as to not bother to communicate that to users. Maybe Parallels knows Metal DOES provide value and is just so cynical as to believe there is no need to even try to improve their "pro" tools. Either way, the last three years has proven that Parallels is cyclical and basically has no interest in meaningful improvements. The idea that Parallels would screw us out of another year of subscription for little more than Dark Mode support just pisses me off. Pro my ass.
    I will say Parallels has the opportunity to change the relationship. Maybe by blogging for Professional users with some information about what has been tested, what is planned, etc. Do I think Parallels will? No. But hey, I'm open to being surprised.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
  17. RafaelG1

RafaelG1 Bit poster

I have this problem too.
    I think a lot of people have them too but but just some is reporting here. This is my first post, I came here weekly hoping to find a solution, but one more time nothing has been done.
    My setup:
    Macbook Pro (15-inch, 2017)
    3,1 Ghz Intel Core i7
    16 GB RAM
    1TB SSD
    MacOS High Sierra 10.13.6
    Parallels 14.0.1 (45154)
    W10 Guest with 4GB RAM (Programs running: Google Chrome open with 3 tabs, Task Manager, One File Explorer Window)

Attached Files:

18. Dmitry@Parallels

Appreciate your feedback, @PragmaticPraxis, please share the results once you have any. We did work on performance improvements in scope of: (i) virtual machine start, (ii) snapshot creation, (iii) VM suspension, (iv) Coherence mode. What's related to graphics:

The new "Auto" mode for graphics allows Windows 8 and later to use more than 2 GB of Mac system memory for graphics, while allowing Windows applications to use it when possible. To use this feature, you must update Parallels Tools first.
    • Not all amount of assigned graphics memory is locked by the virtual machine - the amount which is not used is returned to Mac.
    • Parallels Desktop 14 now features improved OpenGL support for enhanced graphics, with notable improvements in SketchUp 2017/2018, CTVox, DIALux 8 and OriginLab.
    • Improved the way a virtual machine is displayed on 4K+ monitors:
      • reduced the system and graphics memory consumption;
      • reduced the response time;
      • increased the speed of resizing the virtual machine window;
      • increased performance when 3D acceleration is turned off.
    And this is not all, we supported pressure sensitivity in Windows, added Touch Bar support for more Windows applications, storage optimizations and a bunch of improvements for overall usability. See this KB for the full list: https://kb.parallels.com/en/124521.

These are meaningful improvements, and we keep researching ways to do support of Metal 2 to DirectX11, but doing the same functionality (DX10.1) via Metal as we have it already via OpenGL - not viable. If you have any features you want to see in Pro version, feel free to post your suggestions in this forum: https://forum.parallels.com/forums/parallels-desktop-for-mac-feature-suggestions.769/

19. Dmitry@Parallels

Hi @RafaelG1, can you please describe your issue? If possible please make a recording and upload it to any convenient file share, thanks!

20. StuartD2

StuartD2 Member

Same here Raf...
    Working in CAD has become tedious to say the least, but I need to press on.. Nobody pays me until I get product out the door....
    I must say, I don't see many answers in here... just a lot of grief..