Any way 2 copy Bootcamp XP install 2 Parallels VM?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by fbx, Oct 2, 2007.

1. fbx

fbx Hunter

I think I did this once using the standard migrate process, but that was several versions ago, so I'm wondering if by now there is some SIMPLE way to convert or copy a Bootcamp XP installation into a new VM (and then delete the Bootcamp install).

This seems an obvious thing that ought to be included in Parallels. People use Bootcamp because it's secure and fast, and if Parallels thinks that it, too, is secure and fast, it ought to provide a mechanism for the migration.

Hope someone's listening.

Cheers and thanks for all tips--

2. fbx

fbx Hunter

Guess not.

3. Alicia

Alicia Parallels Team

Hello,

you can use your Boot Camp Windows XP SP2/Windows Vista installation under Parallels Desktop. Create a new virtual machine and specify "use my boot camp partition" in the virtual hard disk options tab inside the Configuration Editor window.
    But it seems you've already managed to do this with the help of some user's solution in another thread :)

Best Regards,
    Alicia.

4. fbx

fbx Hunter

Yes, I've gotten about halfway there. Have made a VMWare copy of my Bootcamp partition and can run it from an external HD. However, when I try to use Transporter to import the VMWare VM Transporter tells me that the VM is too large (105,000 MB vs only 35,000 MB available on my OSX partition). I'm trying now to find out how to resize the VWWare VM to import as a Parallels VM. Currently the VMWare VM is on external "My Book" 500 G HD.

All advice appreciated.

5. fbx

fbx Hunter

What I want to do is CONVERT to VM

Alicia--

Thanks for your note, but what I want to do is CONVERT my Bootcamp partition to a Parallels VM and them remove Bootcamp altogether.

But this is much easier said than done, apparently.

6. Alicia

Alicia Parallels Team

fbx, there's no way you can convert your bootcamp partition into a VM, because a bootcamp partition is just a part of a hard drive.

Best Regards,
    Alicia.

7. brkirch

brkirch Pro

It's not really that difficult, Parallels Transporter should work just fine for this, see this entry on the official Parallels blog:
    What to do with your expiring Boot Camp partition

I've converted a Boot Camp VM using Parallels Transporter myself, so it definitely can be done.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2007
  8. fbx

fbx Hunter

Do you know any reason the VMware VM that is a portable version of the Bootcamp installation is so large and how it might be downsized to fit?

On another point, I did a fresh Parallels VM and installed everything on it and it seems significantly slower than the actual Bootcamp Windows install. I knew it was slower from having compared them a year ago, but I thought that by now the Parallels VM would at least be pretty close. It really does not seem to be, especially if running more than one task.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2007
  9. Alicia

Alicia Parallels Team

Hello,

brkirch, unfortunately, there's a disclaimer about that boot-camp partition post on the official Parallels blog.

Best Regards,
    Alicia.

10. smc

smc Bit poster

another one hoping to convert and delete

Count me in as another person looking to convert my Boot Camp partition to Parallels exclusively; any idea of when this will be supported? (Tell Apple I'll still buy the 10.5 upgrade...)

cheers
    SMc

11. Bernhard.parallels

Bernhard.parallels Member

I am a bit confused on this post as to what is possible in order to convert a Bootcamp partition - Alicia from Parallels saying it is not possible ("there's no way you can convert your bootcamp partition into a VM") but then members saying it could be done with the Transporter.

OK, this is what I have and like to do: I have Tiger and a bootcamp partition. I want to convert this partition into a VM, delete the original partition and then use the VM under Tiger with Parallels.

How do I do it best? With Parallels under Tiger or using the Transporter under XP?

Last edited: Feb 4, 2009
  12. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

In version 4 , you can use transporter to migrate Boot Camp virtual machine

13. techprodave

techprodave Bit poster

It would be nice if someone could post some step-by-step instructions. The terminology that Parallels uses as you go through the setup wizard (or manually) is a bit disconcerting. I'm working with Parallels 4.0 and WinXP SP3 (on a BootCamp partition). I don't care if I keep the partition or don't. I just want to get it done.

Everyone's help is GREATLY appreciated.