Parallels Desktop 13 no longer on 2 machines?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by ElmarN, Nov 5, 2017.

1. ElmarN

ElmarN Bit poster

I use Paralells now since version 8 and bought every update. I always used on my two machines, one MacBook pro and one stationary Mac Pro. Since Version 13 I'm prompted to deactivate it one of the machines. Is there really a change in licensing? Do I have to buy two licenses for my two machines now? Cant't believe really, because every major software (Adobe CC, Microsoft Office, all Apple Stuff like Final Cut) allows this.

2. Alfena@Parallels

Alfena@Parallels Pro

Hello @ElmarN ,
    The terms of the End User License Agreement of Parallels Desktop (EULA) state that you can install Parallels software on a single system using one license. If you would like to install it on multiple systems then you need to purchase the same number of licenses. Please refer http://kb.parallels.com/112971 for licensing policy of Parallels Desktop. Thanks

3. ElmarN

ElmarN Bit poster

Is this new to Version 13? I'm using Paralells Desktop now since 10 years on my 2 Macs and it wasn't any problem.

To be honest, also this explanation thru copy&paste from EULA, brings up the question for me if this should be the point to switch to VM Ware Fusion :-(

4. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

The licensing policy is same and it is not changed. Earlier before Parallels Desktop 10 it was not necessary to create an account to register the license and it was allowed to use the license on a secondary Mac in case the original Mac was replaced or changed but now the usage of Parallels Desktop needs an account so if the original Mac is replaced or changed then Parallels Desktop license can be transferred to the new Mac. If you were using the license on two Macs then it was over usage of the license. If you wish to use Parallels Desktop on additional Mac then you have to purchase a separate license.

5. ElmarN

ElmarN Bit poster

Well, I hope that someone reads this who is really responsible at Paralells. I'm customer now for nearly 10 Years and this behaviour now marks the end of this. Even if I was ever pleased with the product itself, I've got contact to VMWare and got the Information that installation on 3 (!) own devices are no problem. VMWare Fusion was ordered right away. I wan't to mention again that this seems also not to no be a problem for Microsoft oder Adobe products, probably you should think of this policy, compared to other companies. So Paralells now you've got one customer less.

IKR likes this.
  6. Arun@Parallels

Arun@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi @ElmarN , we apologize. You can use still use Parallels Desktop for Mac in 2 computers , but not at the same time. You can use the same license on the other mac by deactivating it on the first mac computer. Please check this article for further assistance.

7. ElmarN

ElmarN Bit poster

Hello @Arun@Parallels, thank you for this advice, this much more better than the other posts from you colleges! Yes I never use it on my both computers at the same time. But to be honest, always deactivating it on first system is not very usable. Can't you integrate an technical way to keep activation on both system as long as the are not online at the same time?

8. Shathish@Parallels

Shathish@Parallels Pro

Hello @ElmarN As of now, we do not have that option. We will forward your feedback to our management team. Thanks, Shathish

9. DarrellS2

DarrellS2 Bit poster

This is the last time I'm using Parallels. I'm looking to change. Either buy a new non-Mac computer, or another virtual operating system. I've been using Parallels for many years. I run my Asterisk phone system on a Mac Mini which has Parallels on it. Sometimes when an Asterisk upgrade comes along I'll install it on my iMac and do one week of testing before installing the new software on my Mac Mini. I never had an issue installing Parallels on my Mac Mini and my iMac, for the small amount of time I use it on my iMac it's not worth buying a new license. We are talking 1 week out of the entire year.

I've noticed Parallels is getting more and more greedy. They want more and more, and I'm sure it is going to drive business away. When it gets to the point that it's cheaper to buy a new computer instead of installing Parallels, what does that say? Every year there's a bloody upgrade. As soon as the operating system changes at Apple, Parallels has their hands out. Now they've gotten even more greedy and want to ensure everyone buys no just one license but two licenses to simply run a backup computer to test upgrades with before installing on the main computer. There's so much corruption with companies these days. It's really bothersome. I'm very disappointed in Parallels. That monthly subscription plan is another money grab. Simply ridiculous. This is NOT an operating system. It's simply a platform to install an operating system, yet it costs more than the operating system itself. I won't be buying any further versions of Parallels - ever.

10. Hemnath@Parallels

Hemnath@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi DarrellS2.
    You can simply switch your license to the other Mac if your multi-host usage is indeed so rare. Yes, this also means you will reach the limit of the license's activation counter, but we can reset it (which will only be a rare occurrence in your case).
    When macOS is upgraded by Apple, developing an upgrade for Parallels Desktop becomes a necessity - this is how we maintain our product's compatibility with macOS.
    Again, you can simply switch your license; this shouldn't be an issue if you need to use Parallels on another host only rarely.
    We also have permanent licenses. No need to buy annual subscriptions if you're concerned with the price factor.
    Not sure which operating system you're referring to. Windows 10 is certainly more expensive than Parallels Desktop. And you can use any number of guest operating systems under a single Parallels Desktop copy.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
  11. RARON435

RARON435 Bit poster

The article in your link seems to require not just deactivation but UNINSTALLATION on the first Mac computer. Is it true I would need to UNINSTALL the software from my iMac desktop to use it on my Macbook laptop?

I use it on my desktop maybe once a week and on my laptop maybe a few times every other month to run two old legacy windows programs. The routine described is not at all attractive, nor is the idea of paying $160/year to use the software as I have been using it.

Looking forward to your assistance. Thanks.

12. Hemnath@Parallels

Hello RARON435.
    It would seem that uninstalling Parallels Desktop on the first Mac is not pivotal as far as license transfer itself is concerned - one reason that step is necessary is to simply restrict simultaneous multi-host license usage.
    Switching license from host to host should not be a concern if it is done infrequently - you will then need to contact us only so rarely to reset the license.
    We also have permanent licenses.

13. RARON435

RARON435 Bit poster

Thanks very much for the fast response. However, following the instructions did not work.
    I signed out of the program on my desktop but was unable to sign in on my laptop. I then went back to my desktop and successfully signed back in.
    I suspect I have a licensing issue of some sort here that I will need your help to unravel. I don't want to share any of my information on this public forum. What is the best way and time of day to contact you?
    Thanks!

14. Hemnath@Parallels

Kindly check our private message.

15. Nemensi

Nemensi Member

But still not for the PRO version.

16. Hemnath@Parallels

Hello Nemensi. If you don't need the advanced features of the Pro edition, then you can go for the Home edition and get a permanent license. If, for some reason, you really need the Pro edition, that's available only as annual subscriptions.

17. EmmanuelO1

EmmanuelO1 Member

I'm afraid this is not correct.
    When I look at my installed products in my account, all my older licenses could be used on 3 computers.
    It's only with V13 that this was abruptly brought down to 1 (without any warning I have to say).
    Most software publishers, including MS, Adobe and far smaller ones, allow for the software to be installed at least on two computers, and in Adobe's case even on two different platforms (one mac, one PC).
    So I'm afraid you're about to lose another customer to VM Ware, unless you revert this policy and bring the number of allowed installed back to at least 2 computers (one desktop, one laptop). It's insane to ask the same user to pay for two licenses of the same product, especially when there is no simultaneous use, which can be easily checked.
    By the way it's not practical to ask the user to deactivate/uninstall between two computers. First because it's just a hassle, second because it's often not possible. If you leave with your laptop, you can't go back home to deactivate the desktop before you can use the laptop. It simply doesn't make any sense.
    I am shocked that you can seriously ask a a user to buy two licenses so that they can use the same product, not simultaneously, on two computers.
    Please escalate!

18. Nemensi

Nemensi Member

Too bad. I would instantly by the Pro version with a perpetual license. Or at least if I could still use the software with the last update when the subscription runs out.

19. AndyA3

AndyA3 Bit poster

I have to say I wouldn't have just bought v14 if I had realized I couldn't run it on my desktop and laptop (without deactivating/reactivating). I believe that VMware Fusion is actually UNLIMITED in this regard - you can run 1 license on ALL of your personal Macs? Do I have 30 days to return Parallels?

elektrobank likes this.
  20. EmmanuelO1

EmmanuelO1 Member

I was hoping this would have been changed on V14. 2 licenses is the absolute minimum.
    I think you do have 30 days to return Parallels.
    VMWare does a special at the moment, you can upgrade from a Parallels license (even an old one) and pay only £40 for your VMWare license.
    I think it's valid until the end of the month.
    I had never investigated VMWare before but this license restriction is likely to make me jump ship, given that there is no reply from support and that Parallels doesn't seem to mind losing customers over this.