Xorg 1.20 not compatible! Latest 13.3.1-43365 fixes nothing!

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by LegendT, May 24, 2018.

Tags:
  1. LegendT

LegendT Bit poster

The hotfix or unofficial one https://gist.github.com/rudolfratusinski/a4d9e3caff11a4d9d81d2e84abc9afbf
    might resolves some of your issues. However, it remains the same for Arch / Geetoo / Future Manjaro users.

The screen cannot start at all.

cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep EE you will find that:
    Failed to load module "shadow"
    Failed to load /usr/lib/xorg/modules/libshadow.so

What are you doing management? Playing ping-pong?

A workaround:
    download these three packages:
    xorg-server-1.19.6+13+gd0d1a694f-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz
    xorg-server-common-1.19.6+13+gd0d1a694f-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz
    xf86-video-vesa-2.4.0-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz

use pacman -U to downgrade them manually, and then use pacman to hold then for quite a few months until your dependences BOOOM!
    Guest OS: Arch Linux

sunscan and SiNaPsE like this.
  2. RussCr0

RussCr0 Bit poster

I find myself again on the forums trying to resolve guest tool issues with Linux based distributions; again this is related to Kali Linux for me.

Recently Kali updated to Xorg 1.20 and Parallels guest tools do not support this. This is rather unfortunate but currently leaves me in a position where I have to hold back my Xorg version and hope my dependencies don't run afoul.

Parallels, please can you up your game on Linux support. As a paying customer, I really don't feel the level of support we should be getting nor can I recommend this solution to my colleagues and friends.

MikaelS2 and Hr3xH like this.
  3. SiNaPsE

SiNaPsE Bit poster

same problem.. please fix

4. Hr3xH

Hr3xH Bit poster

Same problem here. Upgraded my kernel and I can't boot into a GUI.
    @RussCr0 Did you find a fix? Is it possible to downgrade the installed Xorg 1.20 to a lower one?
    Keeps spitting out errors all related to Xorg.
    Come'on @parallels we had the same problem two months ago with kernel 4.16!!

MikaelS2 likes this.
  5. MikaelS2

MikaelS2 Bit poster

Same problem for me with Arch linux. Considering the price we pay this is simply not acceptable. If Parallels wont improve quickly I will not renew my license. The alternatives (VB, VmWare) are slower, but this constant hassle is not worth the marginal performance improvement.

Shape up Parallels!

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
  6. RussCr0

RussCr0 Bit poster

I meant to reply to this sooner but became busy. Basically, I used apt-mark to hold the xorg server on 1.19.6 with the following command:

apt-mark hold xserver-xorg-core

The thing with Kali is that they don't keep the old packages so I had to reinstall Kali and place this on hold before doing an apt dist-upgrade so that I would keep the xorg server version 1.19.6. You probably could do a downgrade in some way but I didn't want any complications with Kali so it was easier for me to reinstall.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
    Hr3xH and BryanT2 like this.
  7. Hr3xH

Hr3xH Bit poster

You sir, are a hero.
    Fixed it for me!
    u si

8. RussCr0

RussCr0 Bit poster

Just wanted to let you guys know that the problem is still present in Parallels 14. Keep your xorg on hold.

9. Bachsau

Bachsau Junior Member

It is an indecency of Parallels to not fix this. :mad:

RussCr0 likes this.
  10. wingdo

wingdo Pro

Having this exact issue with Manjaro and Siduction. I upgraded to 14 in the hopes it would resolve things but no.

May end up refunding Parallels and moving to VirtualBox. I am tired of these issues and no response from Parallels.

HakanK2 likes this.
  11. LegendT

LegendT Bit poster

14 does not make much difference on Linux support except for the new UI.

12. sunscan

sunscan Bit poster

This procedure works for me on Kali 2018.3 (make a snap ;)):
    Code:
    cd /tmp
    wget http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/x/xorg-server/xserver-common_1.19.2-1+deb9u2_all.deb
    wget http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/x/xorg-server/xserver-xorg-core_1.19.2-1+deb9u2_amd64.deb
    wget http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/x/xorg-server/xwayland_1.19.2-1+deb9u2_amd64.deb
    wget http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/x/xserver-xorg-video-vesa/xserver-xorg-video-vesa_2.3.4-1+b2_amd64.deb
    dpkg --force-all -i *.deb
    apt-mark hold xserver-common xserver-xorg-core xwayland xserver-xorg-video-vesa
    # WARNING: this command will remove "kali-desktop-common" and other "xserver-xorg-*" packages
    apt-get --fix-broken install

13. HakanK2

HakanK2 Bit poster

Downgrading Xorg worked. Upgrading linux is a pain in Parallels. I think I'll move to VMWare.

mustafay1 likes this.
  14. Bachsau

Bachsau Junior Member

Don't. I have been using VMware on Linux hosts as well as with Linux guests. You won't find any greater crap out there. Paralles is still golden compared to this. If you really want to switch, just go with VirtualBox.

15. HakanK2

HakanK2 Bit poster

I really want to stay with Parallels. But the updates and installing Parallels Tools is rarely straightforward. Sometimes it becomes very frustrating considering I'm not a computer geek. I'll give VirtualBox a try. Thank you.

16. Bachsau

Bachsau Junior Member

Everything is much slower than Parallels, especialy when it comes to 3D graphics. The advantage you get with VirtualBox is that every major Linux distribution includes its guest utilities in their package archives, which means they are always up to date and always working.

17. HakanK2

HakanK2 Bit poster

Thanks for the great insight! I think I'll stick with Parallels.

18. Bachsau

Bachsau Junior Member

19. wingdo

wingdo Pro

I have added the following line to /etc/pacman.conf as it prevents xorg-server from updating and stops pacman from complaining about mismatched dependancies. It isn't a fix, but it will allow all Arch based distros to upgrade everything possible without having any issues with Parallels.
    I suggest everyone who can report the issue to Parallels Support through the app.

IgnorePkg = xorg-server xorg-server-common xf86-video-vesa

20. Bachsau

Bachsau Junior Member

xorg-server-common can be updated to the latest version without errors and xf86-video-vesa can safely be uninstalled.