App Store: "Your device or computer could not be verified"

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by luomat, Sep 10, 2018.

1. luomat

luomat Hunter

I just downloaded Parallels (see below for version info) onto my MacBook running Mac OS X 10.13.6 (17G65) and installed 10.11.6.

The installation went fine, however, I can't log in to the App Store app on the Virtual Machine because I get an error:

Screen Shot 2018-09-10 at 3.33.39 PM.png

"An unexpected error occurred while signing in. Your device or computer could not be verified. Contact support for assistance."

I've tried restarting and logging in to the App Store several times, but the error persists.

Any ideas what I should try next?

/Applications/Parallels Desktop.app:
    CFBundleShortVersionString: 14.0.0
    CFBundleVersion: 45124

UPDATE: I have also run all of the available updates in the App Store app (which can be done without logging in), and rebooted again, but still no luck signing in to see my purchases.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
  2. BrendanD1

BrendanD1 Bit poster

I'm having the exact same problem. Same version of Parallels.

3. luomat

luomat Hunter

I ran into this on a couple installs of Mac OS X and Parallels.

Reached out to Parallels twitter support and they told me to contact Apple :rolleyes: Yeah. Right. That would sürely get me to an answer. Why should I expect help from the company who makes the software I'm using?

I downloaded VMware and it worked perfectly. Glad I tried to demo of Parallels before I paid for it!

4. MichaelD32

MichaelD32 Junior Member

This is a Parallels issue not Apple's. I fixed it by switching the network to 'Bridged mode' and then register with Apple. When done it turned out to be not an issue when switching back to the recommended 'Shared Network' mode.

5. MichaelD32

MichaelD32 Junior Member

See my workaround above. Question: How did you build a Mojave VM using Fusion? It's not a one click create like parallels or is it?

6. MichaelD32

MichaelD32 Junior Member

Not as user friendly as Parallels but managed with VMWare. VMWare did not find the recovery partition to install Mojave from. But I managed to create a VM using the Mojave Update .app from the Appstore. VMWare btw does run Microsoft Visual Studio Code without issue unlike parallels today. I'm sure they'll fix that eventually though.

7. BWM

BWM Bit poster

Me too. No matter which OS X pvm I use I get the same 'Your device or computer could not be verified. Contact support for assistance' .
    I've done that, but anticipate they'll say contact Parallels as I'm running an app. This will stop me investing further in Parallels as I was happily running three or four OS X virtual machines. I cannot log into App Store to download my purchases. This needs sorting.

8. MichaelD32

MichaelD32 Junior Member

You did try the workaround I described? Worked like a charm! :)

I found VMWare extremely slow having to deal with a massive amount of small IO's.:( NPM package updates as well as Angular compiles take minutes under VMWare compared to seconds in parallels. That is not acceptable to me. Still I'm waiting for the fix to be able to run MS Visual Code.

9. brianwmay

brianwmay Member

Understand how to Bridge Network, but what do you mean by 'register with Apple'? Don't understand that bit.

10. brianwmay

brianwmay Member

Screenshot 2018-10-03 08.21.30.png

This is the response when creating a new VM, the sign in to Apple just isn't happening. I shall now try an installation with a pre-selected Bridged network.

MichaelD32 likes this.
  11. MichaelD32

MichaelD32 Junior Member

Yup this is what I got. Then while running the VM (!) I switched the network type. I should have said that. You switch by selecting the spider web at the top of the Parallels window in which the VM runs. Then it worked for me.

12. MichaelD32

MichaelD32 Junior Member

Changed HDD protocol type to NVMe. This appears to have done the trick. HDD speed is normal now. Good!

13. brianwmay

brianwmay Member

Got this message when trying to create a new OS X VM:

protocolVersion 2 DefaultButtonLabel OK Body Try signing in again. ErrorID GENERIC_SERVER_ERROR DialogType GenericDialog AlternateButtonLink. skipped AlternateButtonLabel. skipped localizedError GENERIC_SERVER_ERROR DefaultButtonLink. skipped Header Unable to sign in because of a problem communicating with iCloud. description Generic server error when setup is down HelpLink. skipped

Any thoughts. I've tried all the fixes above and have got nowhere

14. MichaelD32

MichaelD32 Junior Member

Pretty sure this is the message I got and was able to circumvent after switching to brige mode on the spot.
    Since I fixed the VMWare issue with the slow disk speed and it appears that Parallels is having issues with VS Code and Atom editors for years now I think I go with VMWare. VS Code works just fine in VM Ware. As it should.

15. Neilwhit

Neilwhit Member

Running into the same issue. Parallels 14.0.1 to a newly created and working vm of Sierra. Main iMac is also Sierra and the new vm is a restoration of the Time Machine backup of the original iMac's Sierra. Intention is to be able to upgrade the iMac to High Sierra and still run older software on the guest VM. The Guest VM is working fine for anything else checked so far.

I've tried multiple times including a reboot changing to the Bridged Network/Automatic from Shared and it still won't allow updating any apps from the App Store. It does allow updating Apple OS software like iTunes, Safari, etc., but the apps ask for logging in to the App Store, but comes back with the 'Your device or computer could not be verified. Contact support for assistance." message.

In Prefs, I can sign into iCloud just fine. I see the VM listed as an approved Device. But cannot update any apps. Hopefully someone can figure this out.

16. brianwmay

brianwmay Member

Neilwhit - I've done all that you've done. I've had an hour and half remote session with Parallels' engineer. They have confirmed the fault.
    Currently in the VM (Yosemite in my case) I can sign into iTunes successfully, however when I try to log into iCloud disk or Purchased in the App Store, I'm still stuffed as I get the 'Unable to verifiy this computer/device' message.
    It's a work in progress with Parallels and as they send me suggestions, I'm carrying them out and sending Technical Data. So far, no luck. I'll happily post any success or even progress here.
    Hope that helps.

17. Neilwhit

Neilwhit Member

Thanks for the feedback. Makes me wonder if what I need to do is to create a new Apple ID for the VM and then use Apple's Family Sharing feature where you can share your purchases, etc. Has that been tried by anyone?

18. RyanB1

RyanB1 Bit poster

Same issue here. Sierra VM running in current Parallels on a High Sierra machine.

19. Neilwhit

Neilwhit Member

Well, I set up a new Apple ID, but when I tried to log in to iCloud in the VM Sierra, it said the ID was okay but it wasn't an iCloud account. However, I can log in to iCloud.com using that ID. Makes me think this is still an issue with Parallels. One would think that I could sign in with the new ID.

In the VM's App Store, I also tried logging in with the new ID, but got the same old "Your device..." message. Obviously the issue is that the Parallels VM isn't allowing something to connect properly with Apple.

I just hope they can get this fixed so that we can proceed with our plans to update our main iMac Sierra installation. But I hate to do that until we get the VM working. If we can't update apps, it's not usable.

20. MichaelG31

MichaelG31 Bit poster

I experienced this issue today with a newly created MacOS 10.12.6 VM. Based on some of the advice earlier I was able to get it to work using a combination of Bridge Mode and changing the simulated ethernet adapter in the Parallels network configuration. Here is how I got it to work:
    1. In the MacOS VM, open System Preferences > Network, delete all of the listed Network Adapters and Apply the changes
    2. Delete the NetworkInterfaces.plist file from: /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/
    3. Shutdown the VM
    4. Go into the Parallels Desktop Configuration for that VM (click the gear next to the VM name)
    5. Select the Hardware tab, and then Network, expand the Advanced Settings
    6. From the Source pull-down menu, select the option under Bridged Network that represent how your Mac is connected to the network (i.e.: Ethernet, or Wi-Fi)
      1. I would avoid using 'default adapter' as that allows Parallels to make decisions
    7. For me, I also had to use the Type of Realtek RTL8029AS, none of the Intel options worked for me.
    8. Optional: if you run Little Snitch on your host Mac, you may want to disable Network Filtering while you do this just to make sure it's not getting in the way.
    9. See screenshot attached. Good Luck.

Attached Files:

Neilwhit and RyanB1 like this.