Virtual Machine size is too large. Can it be reduced?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by tami, Sep 11, 2018.

Tags:
  1. tami

tami Junior Member

Parallels 12.
    Windows 7 - with latest updates installed.

VM size is 46GB. VM size has grown over the years with every Windows update that was installed.
    The VM has some other software but the software installed on it cannot be so large in size - Quickbooks, Turbotax etc primarily.

Can the Virtual Machine size be reduced?

Thank you.

2. Hello tami. Please refer this article to reduce the size of the virtual machine and free up disk space on the Mac. Note: We strongly recommend to take a backup of the virtual machine before trying the steps.

3. tami

tami Junior Member

Thank you for the reply.
    It did not help however. Windows 7 is still 45GB or so after cleanup and compress :(

4. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi @tami, previous Windows installation package might have been one of the reasons why your Windows disk space is high. To fix it, you have to run "Disk Cleanup" as suggested in this article and keep us posted the results.

5. tami

tami Junior Member

I have Windows 7, and I have chosen the option of Cleanup System Files.
    I guess I am stuck with the huge installation :(

6. Hemnath@Parallels

Hemnath@Parallels Parallels Support

Just to confirm, you selected all the items in the space under 'Files to delete:' in the Disk Cleanup dialog window and then performed the cleanup?

7. tami

tami Junior Member

I did that. Yes.

8. Hemnath@Parallels

Hemnath@Parallels Parallels Support

If all the steps suggested in this thread have been followed to the letter, then I'm afraid the size of your VM is at its minimum.