Mac crashing when using Parallels

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by MichaelL42, Oct 16, 2018.

1. MichaelL42

MichaelL42 Bit poster

Hi,

I have a problem whereby my Windows 10 VM will hang (mouse can move but screen freezes, cant click anywhere) followed by the entire Mac crashing and the Mac crash report come up.

This only happens when I have an external display connected.

In looking at the Mac crash report upon booting up, it mentions something about a graphic card and panic.

a. How can I find this specific log ? I have checked the console and only see too much detail but not the error summary
    b. Has anybody else experienced this ?

RyanJ2 and Mark_R like this.
  2. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi @Michael42, if you have already enabled "Detailed log message" then please open Parallels log files(Right click on .pvm file and you can see Parallels.log) or you can also check system logs. Can you please send us a Technical Data collected right after the crash(Help menu > Send Technical Data...)? This will help us significantly, please reply me back with the report ID number.

3. pDavid

pDavid Member

Parallels is crashing my iMac too. However I have not experienced any hangs. My environment:
    2017 iMac 27" (latest version, purchased very recently)
    MacOS Mojave (latest version)
    Parallels 14 Home (latest version)
    Windows 8 in a Parallels virtual machine (latest version).
    My crashes occur mostly when using Quicken from within the above Windows 8 virtual machine. But I did experience one crash when Quicken was not running.

4. Eric67

Eric67 Bit poster

Parallels 14 keeps resetting my laptop.
    MacBook Pro (13" 2018)
    Mojave v10.134
    Parallels desktop 14 for Mac v14.0.1 (45154)

5. PaulChristopher@Parallels

Hi @pDavid, the crash might occur due to an anti-virus application scanning a virtual machine file or the folder of its location. To fix the issue, please check the virtual machine file (.pvm) or the whole folder containing it to the exclusions of an anti-virus application installed on the Mac or uninstall an anti-virus application from the Mac.

6. pDavid

pDavid Member

Paul, I do not have any anti-virus or similar products on my iMac. Are you aware of any similar products that scan random files? Perhaps Apple's own file-indexing programs?

This is definitely a new problem, it did not occur with Parallels 13. Please do not sweep this issue under the rug.

7. jsimp

jsimp Bit poster

Same issue here. iMac crashes repeatedly through the day. Never had this issue running v13 on Mojave. I've gone back to v13 and things run smoothly. Definitely something wrong v14 considering there are several threads here about the issue and elsewhere on the web. This needs to be fixed ASAP or I'll be looking at other options to run my VMs.

8. Mark_R

Mark_R Junior Member

Parallels 14 is crashing my Windows VM followed by the Mac Os (Sierra). It's happening daily. Mac OS prompts me to report the issue but the reporting crashes too. I feel it's being caused by video driver issues but that's just a guess. I can't share the report logs since my mac is unresponsive.
    I'm running a MBP 13, 2017, 16 Gb RAM.
    Noting that tis appears to be a problem for many users and never experiencing a problem with earlier versions of Parallels is their finally a fix available?

9. PaulChristopher@Parallels

Hi @jsimp, it might occur due to the incorrect Host permission. Can you please shut down Windows virtual machine properly, install Parallels Desktop 14 for Mac, reboot your Mac into Recovery mode, run First Aid, restart your Mac back to the normal mode and then start Parallels Desktop to check if that works.

10. Mark_R

Mark_R Junior Member

I updated to Mojave over the weekend but unfortunately the same problem has occurred again. I had two days of no crashes and then again this morning, working on a single word file and a small Excel file, the Windows VM froze followed by each MAC OS application I had open at the time. Only solution appears to be binning Parallels 14 and going back to an earlier version. Every crash is costing my time and money recovering lost work.

11. Mark_R

Mark_R Junior Member

A further update on the v14 crash issue:

I think I managed to fix it by performing one of those safe reboots / resets on my Mac for PRAM. The down side of this was that it caused iTunes to stop working with my movies (HDCP error). Apparently that is also a known issue with iTunes after the aforementioned reboot. So I fixed iTunes as per a post in the Apple forums and of course Parallels reverts back to its daily crashes... Tedious to say the least but I think I've identified the problem. Can someone at Parallels please chase this?

12. pDavid

pDavid Member

I had this issue on my 2017 iMac 27" machine.

Successful work-around provided by Parallels technical support. Excellent.
    I generated a detailed technical report and filed a request for support on the Parallels web pile. Eventually I spoke with a very nice rep who provided the work-around. The rep also indicated that Parallels Inc knows about the problem, is not ignoring the problem, and will provide a software update to address the problem.
    The Parallels rep had obviously studied my individual case with care, so I don't know if this work-around solution will fix everyone up. But anyway, here it is.

I made the following changes to the Settings pages of my Windows virtual machine:
    1) Set virtual machine memory to 6Gb
    2) Set video memory to Auto(Recommended)
    3) Changed virtual machine graphics mode from Best for Retina to Scaled
    The rep also guided me through the following procedure. I don't know if every one of these steps is required.
    1. Uninstall Parallels by dragging Parallels.app into the trash can.
    2. From Apple's Disk Utility program, execute the "First Aid" function on my main disk drive.
    3. Reboot Apple computer.
    4. Install Parallels from distribution media.

13. Mark_R

Mark_R Junior Member

Hi:
    I'm trying 2 and 3 from the steps listed above, (1) was already set. Fingers crossed.
    2) Set video memory to Auto(Recommended)
    3) Changed virtual machine graphics mode from Best for Retina to Scaled

14. PaulChristopher@Parallels

Hi @Mark_R, can you please follow this article to check out I/O error in the hard disk?

15. AYMANA1

AYMANA1 Junior Member

I have the same problem when using external display

I unintstalled and installed parallel again but one week later the same problem

I cant run VM and when I open parallel the whole mac crashes

16. AYMANA1

AYMANA1 Junior Member

I am using Mojave 10.14.5
    On macbook pro 2018 15 inch
    External display is benq 32 inches connected using usb-c

17. AYMANA1

AYMANA1 Junior Member

I tried all of this .. parallel worked perfectly for one week then again the same problem.

I tried the maneuver again now and it does not work

18. AYMANA1

AYMANA1 Junior Member

Any suggestions?

19. Hi, please generate the problem report right after crash and reply us back with the report ID

20. AndrewJ7

AndrewJ7 Member

Since installing Parallels, my iMac has required hard re-booting 4 times now - I've had it installed around 3 weeks. It does this even if a VM is not running, but also when it is (Windows 10.) I'm getting pretty sick of it now as it's causing big problems for me. I don't understand how to generate a problem report after it happens because the iMac has to be re-booted with a long press on the power key, it is impossible to run anything. I can't even get the keyboard to work properly in the Windows VM.

Is it normally this bad? All the reviews have said how wonderful it is, which is why I got it for the work I need to do, but it's proving a right royal pain. It is an iMac late-2012 on Mojave 10.14.5 running Parallels 14.1.3. I do have a second display attached if that's worth anything.