Parallels 14 slows down MacOS Mojave UI

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by MarcoM3, Oct 23, 2018.

1. MarcoM3

MarcoM3 Bit poster

I've just upgraded to Parallels 14 as the 13 version would no longer be fully supported (new Xorg etc) and I wanted a version that fully takes advantage of the new MacOS Mojave.

Now after installing it on a clean Mojave setup, when I run parallels with any of my guest OSes (Windows, Linux) the whole host MacUI feels super laggy and slow. Like switching Desktops for example but when opening new windows outside of parallels or even just switching/opening new Tabs in Google Chrome on MacOS feels delayed. I've never experienced anything like that with version 13.

I've upgraded and spent another $50 on this software because I thought things would be better. You advertised the new version as being optimized for Mojave and being faster in general.

Anyone else having similar issues? I'm on a 2015 Macbook Pro 15" with 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB SSD and a Iris+Geforce GFX card.

2. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi @MarcoM3, have you installed Anti Virus and it is scan is in progress? If so - please quit the scan to check the performance and keep us posted the results.

3. MarcoM3

MarcoM3 Bit poster

No there's no Anti-Virus and looking at the Activity Monitor on MacOS nothing shows significant CPU usage. I also got 4 of 16 GB RAM free. Still the Mac OS UI lags, I can even feel a difference opening a chrome browser tab. Also tried installing Parallels 13 but the same issue. It was completely fine running parallels 13 on El Capitan before.

4. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi @MarcoM3, it might occur due to the incorrect Host permission. Can you please shut down Windows virtual machine properly, quit Parallels Desktop 14 for Mac, reboot your Mac into Recovery mode, run First Aid, restart your Mac back to the normal mode and then start Parallels Desktop to check if that works.

5. MarcoM3

MarcoM3 Bit poster

Wouldn't have thought this might help but it actually did. Thanks a lot! Do you mind giving me more information on how this helped? First Aid said it found nothing.

6. AJ@Parallels

AJ@Parallels

Perfect, we are glad to hear the issue has been resolved. Its caused because of file permissions issue on Mac OS X. Repairing Mac OS X file permissions, as some Parallels Desktop files may have wrong permissions.

7. LeighM1

LeighM1 Bit poster

Thank you so much! Parallels had been virtually unusable since I got Mojave. Now it's quite fast!

8. AJ@Parallels

AJ@Parallels

You are welcome, Please feel free to reach us any time for any queries regarding Parallels.

9. XuJ

XuJ Bit poster

hi, i had the same issue after installing Parallels 14 for Mac and Mojave. Parallels 14 is a total sloth. i tried your instructions above and even reclaimed disk space on Parallel but it does not seems to work. i'm at wits end. a total waste of $$ to upgrade to Parallels 14.

JanuszS likes this.
  10. JohnF28

JohnF28 Bit poster

I had the same problem with Parallels 15 upgrade and this fixed the issue. thanks!

Maria@Parallels likes this.