Opensuse 10.3 unable to find linux kernel source

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration in Windows and Linux' started by mgpws, Oct 5, 2007.

1. mgpws

mgpws Junior Member

Config with Opensuse 10.3 unable to find linux kernel source

Am I the first? Anyway, just loaded opensuse 10.3 GA and downloaded parallels 2.2, when I tried parallels-config. I got the missing source message. I know the sources are installed and YAST says so. I also checked other requirements seem ok too. No idea what is going on. Could be new incompatibility with 10.3? Please help.

Kernel is bigsmp with PAE 2.6.22.5-31
    Kernel source is 2.6.22.5-31
    Kernel headers source is 2.6.22-19

Update for those with same problem: I got it to work by gping into YAST and deleting PWS and forcing kernel source to REinstall (it was already installed). Then after YAST was done I reinstalled PWS and config worked! I don't know why but when I added kernel source during install it seemed to not work for PWS even though source was installed.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2007
  2. Danorske

Danorske Member

mgpws,
    Go to yast/programs and do a search for "kernel-source". Install from there.
    Ron

3. DrillSgt

DrillSgt Bit poster

Add a symlink

I had the same issue with openSuse 10.3. even with the kernel source installed, Parallels still does not see it. You need to get to a command prompt and set a symlink named "linux" to the actual source directory.

"cd /usr/src"
    "su" (enter password when prompted)
    "ln -s 2.6.22.5-31 linux"

Parallels will now configure and find the source. Easier than re-installing the kernel and source. Did you get a symlink of linux after the re-install of the kernel source? if so, might be a bug to report to Novell.

Cheers.

4. dglock2

dglock2 Hunter

Adding the sym link did not work for me but reinstalling the kernel sources did,after uninstalling and reinstalling paralles! Thanks to mgpws for the tip.

don