Two Macs with Parallels Access

Discussion in 'Accessing your Mac' started by TerryB2, Nov 22, 2018.

1. TerryB2

TerryB2 Bit poster

I have been using Parallels Access on an iMac (2013 model named tbrown_imac) for a while and all is well. I have a second iMac (2017 model names TrudyRetina) that also has parallels Access and both machines show up on the iPad and I can access them without problem.
    I now have a new Mac mini (2018 named tbrown_mini). I set it up and migrated all settings and applications from the tbrown_imac (which included parallels access). Both machines are now active on my network. However, I don't have access to all three machines from my iPad.
    When I first set up the Mac mini (the new machine), Parallels Access on my iPad showed only two machines--the original tbrown_imac and TrudyRetina. When I connected to tbrown_imac, it actually connected to tbrown_mini. So I changed its name to tbrown_mini on the iPad. I didn't worry about tbrown_imac.
    Then, when I had problems with the display on tbrown_mini, I tried to use the iPad to connect to tbrown_mini. Instead, it connected to tbrown_imac. So, now I couldn't get to tbrown_mini.
    I uninstalled Parallels Access on tbrown_mini and reinstalled. Although it says the machine is accessible, it still does not show up on the iPad, only tbrown_imac does. However, if I connect from the iPad to tbrown_imac, it actually connects to tbrown_mini, and now I can no longer connect to tbrown_imac.
    Obviously this is confusing and not particularly useful.
    Any suggestions?

2. Hi TerryB2. Please follow the steps from this article and check if it works.

3. TerryB2

TerryB2 Bit poster

that worked! Thank you.

However, it might be useful to modify the procedure in the article to make it more clear how to log out of Parallels Access, as opposed to turning off access to the local machine. I had to poke around quite a bit to discover that to sign out, I needed to go to Settings, then Access, then use the pulldown menu under my user name (my email address) to find the sign out item.

Most such applications that run from the menu bar on macOS have a sign out menu item at the top level.

4. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi @TerryB2, thanks for reporting! Yes, it's a good idea. We will send a request to our development team.