OS X 10.6.8 guest, very slow

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by ThomasH40, Dec 11, 2018.

1. ThomasH40

ThomasH40 Bit poster

I have Parallels 14.0.1 on a new Mac Mini 2018, 32 GB Ram, Host Mojave 10.14.2 with Guest Snow Leopard 10.6.8, 30" display 4K, setting on "scale" (and change makes no difference in performance of the guest OS X). Recent Toolbox is running.

System and all applications of the Guest OSX 10.6.8 react very slow. Any movement, finder windows, app windows, objects in FreeHand or Indesign, everything moves staggering and slow. Not much I would know to do. Settings like CPU can only be viewed while VM is running, with a note that for changing it VM must be off. But when I shut down guest VM, there is no preferences any more for CPU and the like. Very strange.

2. Arun@Parallels

Arun@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi @ThomasH40 , is it happening only while running a particular program?

3. ThomasH40

ThomasH40 Bit poster

Hi Arun
    No, it is with everything. The finder, FreeHand, Indesign, same staggering and slow behaviour everywhere.

4. ThomasH40

ThomasH40 Bit poster

Am I the only one with this problem?

5. KebhaK@Parallels

KebhaK@Parallels Hunter

Hi @ThomasH40 , Guest OS snow leopard 10.6.8 is incompatible with Parallels Desktop 14. Please refer the article

6. Matt_Perkins

Matt_Perkins Bit poster

I've used different version of Parallels with different versions of OS X over the years and it's always slow. I eventually give up.

7. ThomasH40

ThomasH40 Bit poster

No, its not incompatible. Its working. Its just very slow. I bought Parallels only for that. What good is it if its not capable?

8. ThomasH40

ThomasH40 Bit poster

And anyway - what the heck!? Virtual machines exist so we can continue with old systems - now you say you cut them out? Come on!

9. ThomasH40

ThomasH40 Bit poster

Hey Matt. Did you try other solutions?

10. NigelJ1

NigelJ1 Bit poster

A belated response, I know, but I've only just installed Parallels 14 and have the same problem as Thomas and Matt. I've searched high and low for a solution for the speed issues experienced when using Parallels v. 14 to run Snow Leopard Server, but there's very little information available. Bottom line, it's infuriatingly slow.
    It's most painful when using apps running within the VM to access files and folders on the parent system (my setup is OSX Sierra on a Late 2010 MacPro 3.33 GHz 6-core Xeon 'Westmere' with four internal hard drives installed, and Sierra running on an SSD).
    In particular, I was hoping to be able to run FreeHand MX under Snow Leopard Server. This requires using Rosetta within Snow Leopard, being that FreeHand is a PowerPC app. Although it does work, when trying to access shared files and folders on the Sierra system it just grinds to a halt, with a waiting time averaging 10 seconds per click when navigating folders.
    And there seems to be no way to enable Snow Leopard Server to directly 'see' the Mac's hard drives within the VM, without setting the drives up as shared folders. Coherence just shuts down when you try to use it.
    In a real world this is of course no practical use whatsoever.
    But if there is a way to to provide swift and fluent access to files and folders on the parent machine, then it might be worth something.
    This seems to be a widely recognised issue. Does anybody have an answer to this at all?

11. ThomasH40

ThomasH40 Bit poster

Hi Nigel
    I would not say that finder folders or shared folders in particular are that slow to handle on my machine. I am nerved mainly because of screen response time, I would say. When I drag things around in FreeHand, or other applications, it all lags behind. Movement generally. Cant say about calculation times, as at the moment I am not doing cpu intensive things. But opening apps for example does work quick enough.

Screen response got a bit better, when I stick to standard screen resolutions in Snow Leopard, instead of resizing Parallells window manually.

12. NigelJ1

NigelJ1 Bit poster

Hi Thomas, thanks for your reply.

That's really interesting. I don't have any issues at all moving things around within FreeHand. Once I have a file open, performance is fine. I wish I could throw some light on that for you but I'm new at this and still finding my way around Parallels.

It's also interesting that you don't have any issues accessing shared files and folders, which is where my only problem lies. If I could solve this I'd be extremely happy (although having to add the '.FH11' suffix to all my FreeHand files before they can be recognised is a complete pain).

From your perspective, is it normal not to be able to see any internal hard drives when working inside the VM, unless they've been set up as shared folders? Just trying to access anything on my internal drives just causes the VM to grind to an almost complete stop.

Is it likely that I'm missing something obvious, like a preferences setting, that needs to be done to speed up accessing my main internal drives?

13. ThomasH40

ThomasH40 Bit poster

Well, it is the same for me. I have a shared folder and in it is a folder set up for each internal volume. But I don't know if this is Parallels standard or was set up by my OSXFH solution. Someone at our FreeHandForum offered that package, it is presetup to install complete Snow Leopard Server and FreeHand in Parallels at once. But I have no lags I would have noted so far using the file system.

And right, the .fh11 adding is nerving too.