Solaris 10 Network Adapter

Discussion in 'Other Virtual machines' started by hathorns, Oct 10, 2007.

1. hathorns

hathorns Bit poster

My intention is to follow the instructions starting on pg. 95 of the Parallels Desktop for Mac users guide to get the Solaris 10 network adapter working. However, my initial challenge is that I purchased and downloaded Parallels so I do not have the CD, or ISO image.

Per the aforementioned instructions I need the ISO image on a CD so that I can mount it to MacOS which will make it available to my Solaris 10 installation. After that I can navigate to, and run the "network.sh" script.

What I do have is a .dmg file from which I installed Parallels. Suggestions?

Thanks!

2. Stacey M

Stacey M Parallels Team

Hello,

you don't need to have ISO-image on a CD. You just have to have CD/DVD-ROM drive installed in Parallels.
    And ISO-image you can find in the folder where you installed Parallels Desktop.

Best regards,
    Stacey

3. hathorns

hathorns Bit poster

Sorry but not helpful.

I search through the entire drive and I do not have an ISO image on my hard drive. What I do have is a "Parallels-Desktop-5160-Mac-en.dmg" file from which I installed the Parallels software. When I click on this it opens up the "install/De-Install application interface.

4. Stacey M

Stacey M Parallels Team

Hello,

did you fully install Parallels?
    Did you install an OS?
    Did you install Parallels Tools?

Best regards,
    Stacey

5. hathorns

hathorns Bit poster

Issue Resolved

Renaming the downloaded .dmg file to .iso does not solve any problem. Here it what I had to do.

Using the MacOS terminal I opened the .dmg file and unzip and unpack the archive (.pax) file in a temporary directory. Within that archive I found the proper .iso file in the tools subdirectory. I mounted that .iso file to MacOS and to Solaris 10. This gave me access to run the network.sh script which worked perfectly.

This may have been what you intended, however your answer was very vague.

In any event thanks for trying.

6. 3res

3res Bit poster

Solaris Networking ISO Image File

If you did a default Parallels installation, then edit the iso image you want to mount is /Library/Parallels/Tools/vmtools.iso

So edit your VM so your CDROM is configured to mount that iso, boot Solaris then you can...

cd /cdrom/prltools/drivers/network/rtl8029/solaris
    ./network.sh
    Answer DHCP Y/N or add a static IP address
    init 6

After Solaris reboots then you should have IP connectivity.

7. Ingvae

Ingvae Bit poster

Solaris Networking ISO Image File

Opps... That was supposed to read.

If you did a default Parallels installation, then the iso image you want to mount is /Library/Parallels/Tools/vmtools.iso

So edit your VM so your CDROM is configured to mount that iso, boot Solaris then you can...

cd /cdrom/prltools/drivers/network/rtl8029/solaris
    ./network.sh
    Answer DHCP Y/N or add a static IP address
    init 6

After Solaris reboots then you should have IP connectivity.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2007
  8. LinkRS

LinkRS Member

Hello,

I have installed the Network driver as previously mentioned. However, my VM still has no network connectivity. I have specified 'y' to DHCP, as my router assigns IP addresses for my other computers on the network. How can I check if the driver installed in Solaris properly, and do I need to do something special to get DHCP to work? My Windows XP VM works just fine. Thanks!

9. Ingvae

Ingvae Bit poster

Network Adapter Settings

My Solaris installation actually gets its DHCP IP from my Mac, not my router. To do this I have my network settings as follows;

Network Adapter Options Tab

Device Status
    [x] Enabled
    [x] Connect cable at startup

Emulation
    [x] Shared Networking

Advanced Tab
    Type: Realtek 8029(AS)
    Mac Address: was filled in automatically

With this setup these are my IP addresses.
    Mac - 10.0.1.200 Using DHCP with manual IP address under AirPort
    Solaris 10 - 10.211.55.4

Under System Preferences -> Network on the Mac I have 2 new entries under Show: they are Parallels NAT & Parallels Host-Guest. My Parallels NAT has an IP address in the same subnet as my Solaris 10 server. My Parallels NAT IP address is 10.211.55.2. My guess is that my Mac is running DHCP and assigning addresses starting at 10.211.55.2 and increasing with each new VM client OS that I am running.

There is a downside to this. It would be harder if not impossible to do port forwarding from your router to your Solaris installation. I just haven't given this much thought since this meets my needs. There were other ways to configure the Parallels side of things to get DHCP from your router instead so it would have an IP address on your local network. I think to do that you set it to Bridged Ethernet instead of Shared Networking.

Hope this helps.

10. LinkRS

LinkRS Member

Hi Ingvae,

Thanks for the response! I found out through trial-and-error that I need to have a physical network cable installed. Using the wireless card, the VM does not recongize the network connection. As soon as I have a ethernet cable plugged in, it works. I appreciate the help, thanks!

Rich S.

11. bowhun2r

bowhun2r Bit poster

WOW. Thank you for this post. I also downloaded from the web and vmtools.iso is NOT installed where the documents state. I've been working with Solaris (well actually Sun OS 4.1.3) for a while so as soon as I saw your post I understood where and how to get it. Thanks again

12. marcb

marcb Bit poster

64 Bit driver for RTL8029?

Has anyone got Solaris 10 64 Bit to work with the RTL8029?

The supplied driver is 32 bit only...

Attached Files:

13. speicher

speicher Bit poster

got ni0 finally on 64bit working

what I did is the following under version 4.0.3540:

In a fresh Solaris installation from http://dlc.sun.com/osol/opensolaris/2008/11/osol-0811.iso
    I installed ni-0.8.11 from the parallels tools first with the script to create the lines in /etc/driver_aliases. But this installed only the 32bit drivers. Then I copied from ./ni-0.8.11/amd64 the files ni and dp8390 in directory /kernel/drv/ to replace the 32bit drivers. After a reboot my network card could receive an IP via DHCP.

And fyi, I could also then download and install the audio driver from http://www.tools.de/opensource/solaris/audio/beta/ .

Cheers
    M.

14. marcb

marcb Bit poster

I actually ended up rebuilding the driver and installing it...

Thanks for the link to the audio drivers!

15. salvomic

salvomic Hunter

I imported a working Solaris 10 into Parallels 4, and the network, that first was ok, now says that "mysolarisname" isn't ok, "try to put it in /etc/hosts"...

Any help?

thanks
    salvo