Can't connect to internet in XP

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by ubernos, Aug 18, 2007.

1. Mike@Parallels

Mike@Parallels Hunter

2 ramonekalsaw

Check your mail please.

2. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Dear all,

Parallels Support Team can help you if you describe your issue in details. In fact, all problems you mentioned here have different roots, so a single answer for all of your posts does not exist. At the moment we are working with ramonekalsaw personally. Sending your request on e-mail (http://www.parallels.com/en/support/request/) is a good idea if you want to get personal help, not just discuss your problems on the Forum and get others users opinions and some Parallels Team suggestions.

Best regards,
    Xenos

3. David5000

David5000 Pro

Why not simply answer the questions here on the public forum so everyone can learn? It would certainly lend a bit of clarity to the situation. Why the desire to deal with problems offline?

David

4. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

To give comprehensive answers we must know what network connection type in Mac side you use (Wireless, Ethernet, Modem), what's your network adapter emulation type in Configuration of the VM, which network settings you have on your VM and on your Mac, etc.

In general we can advice you to undertake some typical steps:

Step One: Make sure that the virtual machine network adapter is enabled:
    1. Launch Parallels Desktop for Mac
    2. Click the Network Adapter link in the main configuration window to open its settings.
    3. Make sure that the Enabled and Connect cable at startup options are selected in the Device Status area.
    4. Under the Emulation section select the Bridged Ethernet option and choose Default Adapter or any other Mac network connection interface that is connected to the network.
    5. Click OK to close Configuration Editor.

Step Two:If Bridged Networking isn’t suitable for you, try to change the VM network settings to Shared Networking.

Step Three: If networking is still unavailable in your virtual machine, try to use Apple’s Internet Sharing service to connect the VM to the network:
    1. Launch Parallels Desktop for Mac.
    2. Click the Network Adapter icon in the main configuration window to open its settings.
    3. Make sure that the Enabled and Connect cable at startup options are selected in the Device Status area.
    4. In the Emulation area select the Host-only networking option.
    5. Click OK to close Configuration Editor.
    6. Open Mac OS X System Preferences - Sharing - Internet.
    7. Select your network connection interface in the Share your connection from drop-down list.
    8. Enable the Ethernet Adaptor (en2) (number after en depends on your Mac configuration) in the To computers using list.
    9. Click the Start button. Then confirm Internet Sharing service activation.
    10. Click the Firewall section in the same window, and check the type of service you want to access from your virtual machine. If your Firewall is active you should select the Personal Web Sharing option to be able to browse the Internet web sites at least. Alternatively, you can click the Stop button to disable the Firewall.
    11. Restart your Mac.
    12. Start your virtual machine, and then check its network connections.

As to ramonekalsaw, his case is a complicated one. I'll let you know as soon as we find the cause of the problem and the solution.

Best regards,
    Xenos

5. David5000

David5000 Pro

In your previous answer you do not answer my question, which I will repeat:

Why does Parallels prefer to deal with questions offline instead of here in the public forum, where everyone can learn from the advice given?

David

6. Hugh Watkins

Hugh Watkins Forum Maven

I think they are thus successfully meeting the expressed criticism of their support services by trying to give rapid individual help

Look for example at the recent rapid bug fixes which are irrelevant to most of us users

Hugh W

7. David5000

David5000 Pro

How is advice given privately faster than advice given publicly?

David

8. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Well, for one it gets things out of the forums faster, which looks better to a normal end-user out there.

I think they are hoping for:
    "Look, they quickly respond and work with you as soon as you report a problem."

They could also be releasing testing only builds they don't want in the public.

9. David5000

David5000 Pro

If there were more answers to problems, perhaps there would be fewer problems posted. Also, it would be easy for administrators simply to point to a thread where the problem had already been answered. This would benefit all users.

David

10. RDL

RDL Bit poster

"In Windows please open Network Connections, right-click on the LAN icon,
    find the Local Area Connection properties, select the Internet Protocol TCP/IP
    properties, open General Tab and select Obtain IP and DNS server
    addresses automatically checkboxes.

After that right-click on the LAN icon and select "Repair".

JohnV - Thank you for sharing this information. It has been a miserable couple days trying to understand the convoluted thinking that dominates XP. With your help I don't need to understand I will just use it.

Raymond

11. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

David,
    I know what you mean. I think things should stay in thread as much as possible... But Parallels is, or had better be, trying to improve their support record. At least what hits Google, etc.

While, I don't think there would be less problems persay, I think there might be less open problems.

As of now, the forum has a pretty sizeable knowledge base built up, and as long as Parallels reverts to using the forums in a month or two, I don't really think they will hurt the KB that much. Parallels is primarily a consumer product, although it makes its way into a lot of businesses including one I work at, a lot of the people who are coming on the forums are obviously not searching or reading the stickies.

What would get me upset is if they did this with Parallels Server.

12. mpmackenna

mpmackenna Bit poster

You are missing my point. The point is that Parallels doesn't look at the configuration of the host machine and assign an appropriate ip/mask to the VM, or do the appropriate NATing between host and VM. So when I am on my 16 bit mask network and Parallels version 3 assigns the VM a 24 bit mask and doesn't do the right NAT stuff a lot of stuff doesn't work. However, if I assign an address and appropriate mask to the VM for the network the host machine is on then everything works fine. The fact that your home network and most other home networks use a 24 bit mask and don't have to access the VM from any other machine on the network other than the immediate host is exactly why your point is not valid. If you want to see what I mean change your network to a 16 bit mask, fire up Parallels version 3 and then open both firewalls on host and vm machine. Get the IP that Parallels assigned the VM and go to another machine on the network and try to ping that IP. I think you will see what I mean. Mike

13. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

In otherwords, it's screwed when you do that.
    Point taken, and has been taken.

My point was that usually it's not an issue in most configs, and therefore is more of a 'feature request' than a 'bug report'. The issue will almost always be in a corporate environment, where, if the system administrator is worth anything, will have an install process (probably scripted), and it could be overcome by fixing the NAT, etc.

14. mpmackenna

mpmackenna Bit poster

Yeah right, I should script the creation of every VM so that it polls the pool of valid unused addresses and statically assigns the next available address to that VM. Oh and then if the computer is a laptop and the user takes it anywhere then the VM should have another script that automatically detects it is on a 24 bit mask and makes the necessary changes so that the user can use their VM at Panera or Holiday Inn or whereever. Oh and I should add every Network under the sun to my routers so that any network that Parallels chooses will be valid. All because Parallels won't detect the subnet that the host machine uses and use something valid in that range.
    I have a better idea and it is the one that this System Admin is adopting in his environment. Ditch Parallels, it's not worth the headache, and the Support Team can't give you a straight answer on their own forum.

15. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello mpmackenna, there should be no problems in NAT between host and VM if you use Shared networking option. Parallels Desktop doesn't have to look at the configuration of the host machine and assign an appropriate ip/mask for VM because it’s using its own NAT daemon. But please mind that you cannot directly access VM behind NAT from the external network. The network settings for VM behind NAT can be found at Parallels Desktop - Preferences - Networking.
    I believe you should check your network settings (see my post above). If you want us to analyze your problem, please send the screenshots of the windows where VM and Mac network setting are figured.

As to ramonekalsaw, after getting more information on the issue we asked him to reinstall his network driver which hadn’t been installed properly. Ramonekalsaw didn’t gave the feedback. We hope his network connection is ok now.

Best regards,
    Xenos

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2007
  16. mpmackenna

mpmackenna Bit poster

I appreciate your response. Not being able to contact the VM directly from the external network has caused some issues in our environment. Thank you for the offer of support and I am glad to hear that Ramonekalsaw's issue seems to have been addressed. Mike

17. edwardd20

edwardd20 Member

Hopefully this thread is still open.

I have a friend who is having similar problems. I'd like to add what I've found and hopefully get assistance on a true solution.

Seems like every several times he reboots his Mac and bring up Parallels he can't connect to the Internet. All other times works well. We discovered that on the failing occasions, before Parallels is even started, looking at Network Setting in System Preferences (10.5 if it matters) shows that both Airport and Ethernet have an IP address but both Parallels connections have Self Assigned IP Address. We've discovered that by simply shutting down then rebooting the Mac, the Parallels network connects are able to establish an IP address.

My hunch is that somehow Parallels is attempting to get an address before the native Mac ports are doing so, causing the Parallels interfaces to fail. At this point, clicking on Advanced and clicking on Refresh does not do any good.

We have a solution, reboot, but we'd like to get to the root of the problem to avoid the double boot.

Thanks,

Ed

18. ppayne

ppayne Member

Got it to work

Thanks for the comments. I had the same problem, brand new install of Vista worked for a while then decided it didn't want to go online. I assigned en2 (airport) to the VM since I use ethernet on the Mac side and all is well.

19. matthew.young

matthew.young Junior Member

I have been experiencing massive problems in so far as I could never connect from within Parallels dispite having valid IP etc. It solved itself however when I uninstalled, rebooted OSX and reinstalled the latest Parallels and I also installed the Kaspersky Internet Suite which may be coincidental...but it disabled the Windows Firewall and I think that was causing part of the issue.

So although it might not work for you, and if you have not already done it, uninstall, reinstall and make sure you disable the windows firewall and see how that goes.

My internet has not worked in Parallels properly for well over 6 months and with those steps it all now works.

20. ramonekalsaw

ramonekalsaw Member

I checked my mail but I didn't receive anything from you. Can you give me a date or subject to search on?

Thanks.

P.S. Parallels Internet connection still not working.