Mojave 10.14.4 update cripples Parallels 14.1.3 45485

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by Guidedog51, Mar 28, 2019.

1. Guidedog51

Guidedog51 Bit poster

I've been humming along with the above version of parallels with every version of Mojave prior to the new release of 10.14.4. Now my Windows10 setup is effectively crippled. Long bootup, apps crawling, CPU flatlined at 100% much of the time. I'm running Windows 10 Pro 10.0.17134 on a Macbook Pro with 16 gb memory / 3.1 ghz i7 (15 inch 2017).

2. MarcelloR

MarcelloR Member

Hello.
    Same problem here. PD Business 14.1.2 (45479), Windows 10 1709, Macbook Pro 2,9 GHz Intel Core i9, 32 Gb DDR4, Radeon Pro 560X 4 GB + Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB.
    Everything was going well until this morning, when I confirmed the installation of macOS Mojave 10.14.4.
    After rebooting the Mac, my VM runs slowly: this applies to both the processes and the display.
    Alle the animations of the windows are extremely slow (even when minimizing a window and then restoring it).

UPDATED
    Reinstalling Parallels Tools solved my issue (as often happen). The VM is now working fine.
    I must confirm that the problem still exists. The VM is very very slow.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
  3. ZacharyB1

ZacharyB1 Bit poster

There are a couple of steps folks have taken to work around the problem so far:
    1. Restore to 10.14.3 if you have a Time Machine backup (best solution)
    2. Switch the hypervisor to Apple and turn off Adaptive Hypervisor (helps, maybe, but not back to 100%)

My iMac Pro was backed up, so I was able to restore. My MacBook Pro uses solution 2 with ok results.

4. KendallB

KendallB Member

Yep, I have the same problem. My machine at home was fine and my iMac at work starting acting totally unusable for Windows 10 in a VM. Then I came home today and noticed my Mac Book at home just updated to 10.14.4 also, and now it's VM is completely unusable.

Going to try Vmware for the time being as I am running it against a boot camp partition so I can easily switch between the two. Usually Parallels has way better performance for me than VMware, but this is making it impossible to do any work.

5. AlbertoCM

AlbertoCM Bit poster

Me too! I am running Parallels Version 14.1.3 (45485) with the new release of Mojave 10.14.4. My Windows 10 is running really slow. I am not able to work on the computer!

6. KendallB

KendallB Member

Changing to Apple Hypervisor fixed it for me. Last time I tried the apple one it was slower, but this is at least getting me back to work ...

7. JohnM72

JohnM72 Bit poster

I'm having the same problem with 10.14.4. My Parallels is unusable at this performance level. Why is there not a fix for this if so many people are having problems?

8. KendallB

KendallB Member

I think 10.4.4 literally just started rolling out automatically to peoples Mac's a few days ago. However as mentioned above, change to the Apple Hypervisor and it works much much better.

9. JohnM72

JohnM72 Bit poster

I've been having this problem for a while. I shouldn't have limited it to 10.14.4. I will take a look at Apple Hypervisor. Thanks!

10. TraeR1

TraeR1 Bit poster

I'm having the same issue with 10.14.4. I found that it would simply freeze for 30-60 seconds and screen updates and mouse events would simply stop responding. Eventually it would all come back and be usable again until the next freeze came about. It was barely tolerable between the freezes. I changed the hypervisor from Parallels to Apple and that seems to have alleviated the freezing, however the performance is still far far less than what it was before. I often joked that Parallels runs Windows faster than Windows does...however that's not the case now. I am using a remote desktop to a standalone Windows box now because using Parallels is no longer viable.

11. MaikW2

MaikW2 Bit poster

Same problem. I am in contact with the support. After spending 2,5 hours with them only troubleshooting at the Win10 virtual machine I will try on the same hardware configuration but with 10.14.3.

12. JorgM2

JorgM2 Bit poster

Hi Parallels Team, this issue is getting very serious. When do you plan to solve it?
    When it is an Apple MacOS issue - is it escalated to APPLE already.
    ? Ist ssems to, they do not really know about it ;)
    about it.

Hope dies at least..

13. MaikW2

MaikW2 Bit poster

Funny, after three days after testing and optimizing with the support of my Win10 VM it is still not working. I copied the VM to my other MAC with 10.14.3 it is running perfect(same Mac Pro). Then Parallels escalated it to the second level with the meaning the WindowsServer takes more than 12%, but this was only at the moment when I did the report... I gave up wasting my time with it to use a product with an issue >10.14.4. Now I run my VM on linux with xen. The support is not worth taking hours of looking... There is no deep troubleshooting... Hope the issue will be solved in some time.

14. JTF1

JTF1 Bit poster

In my situation, Mojave 10.14.5 / Parallels 14.1.3 / Windows 7 VM / 16GB DRAM total 11GB to VM - I had tried everything. The Resource Monitor was pegged to 11GB (100%) RAM. It would take 15-20 seconds to open a Chrome window in this mode.

I finally switched the Hypervisor to Apple and unchecked "Adaptive Hypervisor" "PMU virtualization" is also unchecked. That cleared it up.

15. NickT

NickT Junior Member

Adding a "Me too". Some combination of Parallels 14.1.3 and Mojave 10.14.5 is killing my previously rock solid MacBookPro and its Windows7 VM. Issue affects the Mac as well as the VM. Background CPU use up, fans running, UI sluggish/unresponsive, spinning beach ball. I don't have the option to revert OSX. I have tried the "Apple Hypervisor" option with some useful effect but its nothing like the user experience I had before.

MarcelloR likes this.
  16. MichaelB72

MichaelB72 Bit poster

I have upgraded to Mojave 10.14.6 but still performance is horrible. Running CPU intensive Windows applications reduces my MacBook Pro (32GB, Core i9 x6 cores) to a pocket calculator - sluggish Mac UI, beep sounds and Windows hangs completely. Using Apple Hypervisor is only a partial solution, since Windows then becomes sluggish all the time, which is even worse.
    Parallels - what is going on? Your product has for years been the best performing virtualisation platform for Mac, but I am really struggling with 10.14.4+ Mojave.

17. Omar55K

Omar55K Bit poster

same issue, even with Parallels Desktop 15 the VM is so slow it is not usable anymore. I'm really struggling now and don't know what to do.
    regret upgrading to 15 right away :mad:

18. NickT

NickT Junior Member

Have any of the people affected by this problem tried running the same VM using VMWare Fusion? Does it resolve the performance problem. I've been using Parallels since V3 but it feels like it time to change horses. I have been unable to get a straight answer out of Parallels support and my Hypervisor isn't some nice to have trinket its a mission critical piece of software for me, and many others no doubt.

19. PlanetWilson

PlanetWilson Junior Member

There is a major issue with VMWare since 10.14.6 dropped, I am experiencing it myself. Apple changed something to do with memory management. I wonder if it is also affecting Parallels? Details in this blog post:- https://planetvm.net/blog/?p=67185

I was going to purchase Parallels but not if it is having the same issue...

20. KendallB

KendallB Member

Parallels is working fine for me on 10.14.6 (same as earlier versions) using Parallels v15. Alas the Parallels Hypervisor still has performance issues, but using the Apple Hypervisor solves that problem. The issues with the Parallels one seem not as severe as before (system is useable now), but not nearly as fast as it used to be and not as fast as the Apple one (which is slower than Parallels used to be). I tried VMware recently due to the Apple hypervisor issue and found it quite considerably slower for me developing in Visual Studio than Parallels. Builds from the command line for our .net project took 30s longer to complete and the build is only about a 3 minute process. Far as I can tell it's two things slower in VMware; disk access and graphics. And they both add up a lot in a console build or using an editor like VS.