Mac running at 100hz, Windows 7 locked to 60hz

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by CristianY, Oct 22, 2019.

Tags:
  1. CristianY

CristianY Bit poster

Pretty much the title: I run my 2018 Retina Macbook Pro 15" with Radeon graphics closed, connected to external peripherals which include a 100Hz display. Windows 7 however is locked at 60Hz, it does not let me choose the native monitor refresh rate, and it shows. The Windows 7 interface is pretty slow compared to macOS.

2. Hi, we don't setup any Hz limits to VM, and Monitor Hz and Video are emulated and actually if Mac has 100Hz Windows will also has 100Hz.
    looks like that Windows 7 unable to "see" the 100Hz due to the internal Windows 7 resource limitation.
    I've found several users with the same issue on real PC

3. Dean Herbert

Dean Herbert Junior Member

This is actually an issue with the provided parallels display drivers on windows. Would appreciate a developer response for this.

4. in order to investigate the issue we need a bit more info. Detailed description and tech report (that has been created right after the issue reproduced)

5. Dean Herbert

Thanks. I have sent a support request with tech report attached (ticket ID #2692910).

6. Lance2

Lance2 Bit poster

Any update on this problem? Same thing here, and can validate that Mac will run 144hz, but the Windows 10 instance (full screen, windowed) is definitely at 60Hz. Tried everything on the forums...

7. Dean Herbert

I can give you an update: I went through this arduous support procedure with parallels support team including having them remote into my pc as I tried to explain the issue. After a couple of hours I'm not sure they understood the issue. They said they would close the support ticket but still work on the problem internally.

That was several months ago. I'm not sure this will ever be resolved.

Note that you can get high frame rates if you run an application that supports exclusive full screen (the mode where a game/application will take over GPU backbuffer control). But this is not so useful for development scenarios.