5160 beachballs with Leopard Final

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by skeedatl, Oct 25, 2007.

1. skeedatl

skeedatl Member

Fixed: 5160 beachballs with Leopard Final

I got my Leopard final a day early from Apple.com (thanks Fedex) and upgraded. Everything is awesome including Bootcamp 2.0 BUT my 5160 beachballs when trying to start my Vista Ultimate bootcamp VM. I've uninstalled and reinstalled 5160 but it still beachballs as soon as I try to start the VM. It is beachballing before I would normally be getting a password prompt in starting the VM. No error, no unexpected quit, just a beachball.

This is running on my 3GHz Mac Pro Quad

Last edited: Oct 25, 2007
  2. skeedatl

skeedatl Member

After 3 more reboots, it suddenly started working. Go figure.

Running the VM in Spaces is very cool.

3. doubledangerbat

doubledangerbat Bit poster

Have you tried to full screen it on a space of it's own?
    I am really looking forward to that kind of feature.

Let us know how you like it! :)

4. skeedatl

skeedatl Member

Yeah I did and prefer it. Normally I run the Vista Ultimate VM in coherence but with Spaces I can just CTRL+ARROW to the space holding the full screen VM of Vista. Alternatively I can click the Parallels Icon in the new dock and Leopard will automatically swap to the Space running Parallels.

I've seen no problems moving to and from the Space running the VM whether in a window or full screen and I've also had no problems moving a windowed or full screen VM from Space to Space while the VM is running.

Also I tied button 4 (normally expose) on my mighty mouse to start Spaces and when previewing all the Spaces, you can see all the difference Spaces running in real time including the Vista VM. In fact I just clicked button 4 and saw Vista's screen saver running in real time. :)

Another cool thing is you can tie particular apps to particular spaces so that when they're opened, they open directly to that Space. So for Parallels I run it in Space 4 (you can run up to 16 Spaces at once) so when I start it, Leopard automatically swaps to Space 4 and starts the VM there (since I set Parallels to start my Vista BC VM when Parallels is opened).

A while back ran into a problem with 5160 not supporting multiple display adapters (since I run multiple monitors) but with Spaces I no longer need the extra monitors so all is well. I run a single Radeon X1900XT and Leopard screams on my Mac Pro. I'm very pleased with Leopard+Parallels 3.0 so far. No quirks including the reports that Filemaker 9 wasn't Leopard compatible. FM9 works great for me.

5. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Cheers! Glad to hear that Parallels got things working smoothly for the new Leopard.

I, sadly, don't have 'test equipment', so I am going to have to wait until release X.4.1 or X.4.2 when there is a resource base for me to tap.

6. fso

fso Member

speed?

Would be appreciated if you can tell us what the speed is like, especially when compared with tiger. Thanks

7. skeedatl

skeedatl Member

Seems a bit faster than Tiger on my 1.33 & 1.42 G4 Minis as well as my Mac Pro and MacBook Pro. I'm especially amazed by the fast boot speed.

8. fso

fso Member

Cool!!! Thanks.

9. rbienstock

rbienstock Junior Member

I haven't tried Spaces yet, so maybe there's something I don't get, but how is this any better than the old method of hot-keying to a full-screen VM? Also, the beauty of coherence is that you get to work with Windows and Mac apps simultaneously on the same desktop. Don't you lose that by having a full-screen VM?

10. skeedatl

skeedatl Member

The problem with coherence is that even on my 30" monitor I run out of desktop space quickly and also for me coherence is slow and doesn't always work properly. For me I get windows notifications that popup in the VM (like UAP notices which stop the program until cleared) but don't appear in a coherence window and sometimes get the windows moving out of the field generated by coherence (so I only see 1/2 of the actual window and 1/2 of whatever is behind the window). Coherence while "neat", it troublesome for me, especially on smaller screens like the 1440x900 on my MacBook Pro. Spaces solves that issue not just for VM's but for any applications that take up a lot of desktop space when running.

As for hot keying, I find Spaces faster and more stable. I can open Spaces and see the progress of the VM in real time whereas with hotkeying I have to swap back and forth to check. Sometimes I'll have OS X doing something and Vista doing something and in Spaces I can monitor all activities at once in real time.

I'm sure a lot of people will still prefer coherence or hot keying but for me, I prefer Spaces and running the VMs in their own full screen Space and it's great that 5160 is working so well with Spaces.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2007
  11. rbienstock

rbienstock Junior Member

Got it. I've never used Vista, so I don't know how UAPs work. Its too bad that they don't pop out of the System Tray like ZoneAlarm alerts. I find that I have more than enough space to use coherence on my 17" MBP. I do have the Dock on the right, not on the bottom, though, which gives a lot more usable vertical space. I'd done that even before I had Parallels as it seems the more logical location when you have so much more horizontal than vertical space. We'll see how that looks with the new Leopard Dock design. I'm surprised to hear you say that you find Coherence to be slow. I've noticed no difference at all between Coherence mode and running my VM full screen.

12. skeedatl

skeedatl Member

For coherence I found simply turning off the User Account Control security feature avoided the problem. The UAC/UAP is just like the Admin password prompts you get when installing stuff in Mac OS, it would be like that admin password prompt appearing outside of coherence. The program simply stops or doesn't start at all and you're left wondering why unless you switch to a window or full screen view. Then it's obvious, you 'OK' the UAC and the program runs normally.

Coherence being slow is just an opinion...if I actually used a stopwatch I may find the speed is the same but it seems like coherence takes longer to render the windows compared to a windowed or full screen view.

For those who like coherence, I did run it in Leopard and it worked flawlessly so it will certainly continue to be an option for those who like it but for full screen fans, they may find Spaces especially appealing.