Android 9 (and above?) on Parallels 15

Discussion in 'Other Virtual machines' started by Mark Fine, Dec 28, 2019.

1. HalcoU

HalcoU Bit poster

hey, I switched to Virtual Box too and there I faced this problem several times.

2. BallO

BallO Hunter

4. Mount the grub partition to /mnt/USB: # mount /dev/block/sda1 /mnt/USB
    This doesn't work in RC2. First it complains it doesn't know the type (needs -t), then if I supply ext2 it complains the filesystem is busy. I don't know of a work-around.

3. Mark Fine

Mark Fine Pro

Sounds like the problem I had at first. Did you su to root first?

4. BallO

BallO Hunter

5. BallO

BallO Hunter

After a second try it did mount like in rc1 and I was able to get rc2 working. Not sure what happened the first time.

6. Mark Fine

Mark Fine Pro

Maybe that's what I remembered. It was kind of weird in that it didn't work at first, then it did.
    At least you're in... hopefully.

7. Mark Fine

Mark Fine Pro

Apparently when I wasn't looking, A9 r1 was released on 27 Feb...

8. Mark Fine

Mark Fine Pro

System Update won't recognise the new release on 27 Feb.
    I've tried loops of img files. I've tried tricking grub to start/boot the r1 update iso... no joy.
    Am getting close to backing up sda1 then replacing it with the contents of the iso file, then rebooting if I thought I could get back to the original sda1 contents somehow.
    this is nuts.

9. Mark Fine

Mark Fine Pro

Ok... finally.

1. Download the iso on your Mac, not within Android (duh).
    2. Find a semi-disposable USB drive, back it up, and install the iso file on the main partition, e.g.:
    # dd if=android-x86_64-9.0-r1.iso of=/dev/disk4 bs=1m
    3. Go to your Android configuration in Parallels and under Hardware -> Boot Order, set the External Device above the Hard Disk, and make sure it's checked.
    4. You can optionally select the External Boot device by name (and drive#) underneath.
    5. Start the Android VM in Parallels and it should boot into the grub menu from the USB Drive.
    6. Select "Advanced Options..." then "Auto_Update - Auto update Android-x86" on the next screen. It should then proceed to update sda1.
    7. Don't forget to de-select the USB drive from the Boot Order when restarting.
    8. Definitely don't forget to add nomodeset to the grub menu (see earlier post) otherwise you'll never get past the command prompt.

What a discovery process.

10. Mark Fine

Mark Fine Pro

The built-in installer works with the prescribed distribution of Android 8 and only 8. This is for the Android-x86 distribution of Android 9 (and 10 when finally released).

11. EmM

EmM Bit poster

How did you figure that out? You are a life saver.

Mark Fine likes this.
  12. EmM

EmM Bit poster

Lifesaver, rather. I have never posted to a support forum in 20 years of using computers. Thank you.

Mark Fine likes this.