Reduce size of Windows VM hard disk ?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by MatthewB15, Jan 25, 2018.

1. George S

George S Bit poster

It looks like you already got rid of it. The Windows 10 Configuration page shows the size as 181 GB, so it's already shrunk. (You don't actually get 76 GB back on your main Macintosh HD partition; this just prevents your Windows VM from using 256 GB (it'll stop at 180 GB; it' currently 119.7 GB, which matches both your Configuration main page, and Disk Management showing how much of C: is used).

2. Mike36

Mike36 Bit poster

Ah, I thought this would give me back the space on my Macintosh HD, which is constantly out of space.... Anything I can do to do that aside from deleting Parallels and reinstalling it with a smaller partition?

3. George S

George S Bit poster

That Windows VM's virtual drive C: has 120 GB of stuff installed in it. Uninstall/delete/clean out temp folders in Windows to get it from using 120 GB down to something sane (it shouldn't be using more than 32 GB with the OS and some apps), then win Windows says it's only using say 40 GB, shut down Windows, and the VM's config main page should say 40 GB used and 80 GB reclaimable. Click Reclaim, wait, and the Mac drive should get 80 GB back.

4. Spencer1

Spencer1 Bit poster

Thanks dude, this worked!

5. HerMar

HerMar Bit poster

Hi, I have accidentally allocated 1TB of hard disk space for the virtual machine. As a result of this the hard disk space cannot be increased. My question therefore, whether it is possible to decrease this to 500GB or to reverse the allocation altogether?
    Hope someone has a solution as Parallels support has none.
    Thanks.
    Herbie S.

6. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

Have you tried the steps suggested in this post?

7. AlexanderS32

AlexanderS32 Bit poster

On my bloody Win10 VM seemed to be having system restore points active and eating space after each update :-(
    1. "Star" button -> Settings -> find and run "Storage"
    2. Click on you C: partition - mine was 43GB of max 256
    3. Click on "System & reserved"
    4. Scroll down to "System restore" - I had almost 10GB used in system restore points
    There is a button "Manage system restore"
    You will get a popup window "System properties" opened on tab "System protection".
    You can press the "Configure" button and see the allocated space (Current usage), you have "Max Usage" settings.
    I decided to select "Disable system protection" and delete the restore points (there is a button on bottom right), as far as I have a regular backups of the VM files.
    It's YOURS DECISION, but this gave me back 10G of 40G.

TinaA likes this.
  8. TinaA

TinaA Junior Member

That download didn't work. (Just showed "Preparing to download..." and nothing happened.)

9. TinaA

TinaA Junior Member

This helped, thank you! My .pvm file went from 28 GB to 15 GB :)

Still, I'm looking to switch from "Atril Deja Vu" to some other CAT tool - one that runs on Mac OS - so I won't need Windows at all any more. I love Deja Vu and have used it for almost 20 years now, but I switched to "Mac only" 5 years ago and I'm tired of wrestling with Parallels.