Kernel 5.5.5 breaks Parallels Tools 15.1.2.47123

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by Mark Fine, Feb 22, 2020.

1. Devries

Devries Bit poster

Haha, everything was fine with kernel 5.5 and modified tools.

2. omnidapps

omnidapps Bit poster

The changes to the Makefiles fixed prl_fs and prl_vid but now prl_tg is broken

modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'prl_tg': Exec format error

3. omnidapps

omnidapps Bit poster

I'd like to update with the solution that worked for me, updating from kernel 5.5.7 to 5.5.9 seems to have fixed it!

4. LukesM

LukesM Bit poster

After I while, I noticed that the VMs Linux Kernel had been upgraded, so I chose the previous one from the GRUB boot menu and everything worked perfectly fine again. Therefore, I set up some more VMs, running different Kernel versions in different versions of Parallels Desktop

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2020
  5. Mark Fine

Mark Fine Pro

This is new (note @omnidapps that it might have been fine for 5.5.8/5.5.9 but it breaks again in 5.5.10):
    Updated from 5.5.8 to 5.5.10 via dnf and the build broke again in stage 2 with the same prl_tg symbol error. Apparently, either the automatic rebuild scripts are set to use the virtual CD version of the Tools update, or when selecting the Update option from my modified Tools install doesn't actually update the tar.gz portion in the modules. Might have to manually copy the tar.gz to the appropriate places to ensure the next kernel update (usually weekly) builds properly.

Also, in response to @LukesM: That's a good fallback position until a new Parallels that supports Fedora 31 is released, but that won't be until at least September (if they follow the trend). In the meantime, F32 will be out in May, and F33 will be out in Nov, so you'll likely always be one or two versions behind.

6. AvinashM

AvinashM Junior Member

I'm running the latest 5.5.10 kernel in Fedora 31 and the Parallels module are (finally) working fine.

To get Parallel Tools to compile properly (when I was running 5.5.8), I made the two changes in prl_fs and prl_vid and, for some reason, had to recreate some symbolic links in /lib/modules/ as they were pointing to old versions:

cd /lib/modules/5.5.8-200.fc31.x86_64/weak-updates/
    rm prl*
    ln -s /lib/modules/5.5.8-200.fc31.x86_64/extra/prl_eth.ko.xz
    ln -s /lib/modules/5.5.8-200.fc31.x86_64/extra/prl_fs_freeze.ko.xz
    ln -s /lib/modules/5.5.8-200.fc31.x86_64/extra/prl_fs.ko.xz
    ln -s /lib/modules/5.5.8-200.fc31.x86_64/extra/prl_tg.ko.xz
    ln -s /lib/modules/5.5.8-200.fc31.x86_64/extra/prl_vid.ko.xz​

Since then, I've had two kernel updates (5.5.9 and 5.5.10) and everything is working fine.

ShawnC4 likes this.
  7. AvinashM

AvinashM Junior Member

I have just upgraded to kernel 5.5.15, rebooted, compiled Parallel Tools once, rebooted, done the above symbolic links manipulations, compiled Parallel Tools a second time and rebooted. Everything is working fine.

8. Mark Fine

Mark Fine Pro

You might want to double check that the symbolic links are still pointing to the correct version. There's something in the script that's causing older kernels to get the current version in weak-updates, but the current version kernel is getting ones with the wrong version after a build. Very strange.

9. TrustedComputer

TrustedComputer Member

With an update to Parallels 15.1.4 Build 47270, no modifications seem to be needed, on kernel 5.5.13.

10. Mark Fine

Mark Fine Pro

Just in time for it to break on Kernel 5.6.6...

11. dubaievisaonline

dubaievisaonline Bit poster

I want like to update with the solution that worked for me, updating from kernel 5.5.7 to 5.5.9 seems to have fixed it for

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2020
  12. dani2c4

dani2c4 Bit poster

To forum, I read the suggestions such as AvinashM... I have 5.5.0-1, I still need to learn more on OS skills.. I tried `find /lib/modules -iname "*prl*"` and nothing was found... I would appreciate any guidance that would help me to solve this.. -- Dan

13. Mark Fine

Mark Fine Pro

/usr/lib/modules...

14. ReynierP

ReynierP Member

I am new to Parallels and I am having issues installing the Tools, the kernel I am running is kernel-5.7.11-200.fc32.x86_64 but I can not find those files anywhere in order to be able to install them, can I get some help here?

15. TrustedComputer

TrustedComputer Member

Hey ReynierP, I recommend reading this thread in it's entirety. I think you'll find what you need.

Mark Fine likes this.