OK to manually delete all snapshots?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by JohnB4, May 14, 2020.

Tags:
  1. JohnB4

JohnB4 Bit poster

Parallels has been "deleting snapshot" for more than 24 hours. ( upload_2020-5-14_11-45-10.png )
    I'm willing to lose all my snapshots if I can get Parallels to boot Windows 10 again.
    Will it work if I "Force Quit" Parallels and then manually delete all Parallels snapshots (e.g., delete __.pvm/Snapshots folder and __.pvm/Snapshots.xml file)?
    Parallels 14.1.3 running on MacOS 10.15.4

2. Hi, please note that Parallels Desktop 14 doesn't fully compatible with macOS 10.15.
    Do you have a backup copy of your Windows virtual machine?
    You can also try to go to the Actions menu -> and choose "Shut down" (or Stop) and then try to remove snapshot manually.

3. JohnB4

JohnB4 Bit poster

Yes. I do have a backup copy of Windows 10.pvm from when Parallels was working.
    Should it fix the problem if I force-quit Parallels and then restore the PVM from the Time Machine backup ?

4. JohnB4

JohnB4 Bit poster

For future readers, here is a solution when Parallels hangs during snapshot deletion:
    If you have a backup (e.g., in Time Machine) of your .pvm file, then force quit Parallels, reboot your mac, replace the hung .pvm file with the backup, and restart Parallels.​
    I'm still waiting to hear if it would have been ok to delete the delete the .pvm/Snapshots folder and the .pvm/Snapshots.xml file.

5. ShubhamM

ShubhamM Bit poster

JohnB4
    i am trying to resize my harddisk however i keep getting an error that windows have one or more snapshots. but there are no snapshots as you can see from attached image. Where can I check in local drive if there are any snapshots ? do i need to manually remove them? It would be great if you help me with this. Screen Shot 2020-05-18 at 11.32.40 AM.png Screen Shot 2020-05-18 at 11.32.40 AM.png Screen Shot 2020-05-18 at 11.33.22 AM.png Screen Shot 2020-05-18 at 11.32.40 AM.png Screen Shot 2020-05-18 at 11.33.47 AM.png Screen Shot 2020-05-18 at 11.33.37 AM.png Screen Shot 2020-05-18 at 11.33.37 AM.png Screen Shot 2020-05-18 at 11.33.47 AM.png

6. JohnB4

JohnB4 Bit poster

@ShubhamM,
    Based on my experience (I don't work for Parallels), you are looking in the right place, and there are no snapshots.
    My Windows .pvm package looks like your screenshots, except that mine contains a folder called "Snapshots" and a file called "snapshots.xml". Yours lacks these, which is why I think that there are no snapshots, despite the error message from Parallels.
    I'd try creating a snapshot and then deleting it using the Parallels interface. Maybe that will fix the problem. If it doesn't, open a support ticket with Parallels; they should be able to fix it for you.

Attached Files: