High cpu usage due to bsdtar process

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by CarlB7, Oct 9, 2019.

1. PeterC17

PeterC17 Bit poster

Thanks for the permissions fix - which does stop bsdtar from running endlessly.

In /Applications/Parallels Toolbox.app/Contents/Resources/ToolboxCommon.bundle/Contents/MacOS/ToolboxCommon, there is a string

tar -czf "%@" -s /.*/Report\.xml/g "%@" && curl -v -X POST -H "Content-Type: multipart/form-data" --form "data=@%@" %@ > "%@" && rm -f "%@" && rm -f "%@"

I presume it's trying to send information about breakage or maybe usage to Parallels??
    This appears to be the cause of the problem. Looks like Parallels need to wonder why this is failing in Catalina... perhaps a change of default shell?

2. DavidM74

DavidM74 Junior Member

Hi, PeterC17. On my side, it was spawning many of these commands:
    503 2831 2830 0 2:25PM ?? 0:00.00 /bin/bash -c tar -czf "/Users/___/Library/Logs/ParallelsToolbox/toolbox_report.xml.tar.gz" -s /.*/Report\.xml/g "/Users/___/Library/Logs/ParallelsToolbox/toolbox_report.xml" && curl -v -X POST -H "Content-Type: multipart/form-data" --form "data=@/Users/___/Library/Logs/ParallelsToolbox/toolbox_report.xml.tar.gz" https://reportus.parallels.com/toolbox/1/cep > "/Users/___/Library/Logs/prl.toolbox.ceplog.log" && rm -f "/Users/___/Library/Logs/ParallelsToolbox/toolbox_report.xml.tar.gz" && rm -f "/Users/___/Library/Logs/ParallelsToolbox/toolbox_report.xml"
    It collects configuration and license information, compresses it, and then posts it to a web service at Parallels. In Catalina, something changed in one of the underlying command's file access or some other oddity. All I know is that by denying write access to the folder, the process will silently fail, which is the best outcome we can hope for in this case. If I had to speculate, there's likely a sandbox access issue happening here.

3. MikalaiS

MikalaiS Bit poster

This's happened to me just now. 3 processes, activity monitor shows 99.9 CPU on all of them. Catalina macOS. Should we report a bug and contact support?

4. PeterC17

PeterC17 Bit poster

This looks suspect:
    /bin/bash -c tar -czf "/Users/___/Library/Logs/ParallelsToolbox/toolbox_report.xml.tar.gz" -s /.*/Report\.xml/g "/Users/___/Library/Logs/ParallelsToolbox/toolbox_report.xml"

It depends where this is being executed but
    -s /.*/Report.xml/g
    may be expanded to the files in the current directory, which could cause some consternation.

DavidM74 likes this.
  5. DavidM74

DavidM74 Junior Member

Agreed. It isn't the best written script I've seen. I'm glad the workaround solves the issue.

6. DavidM74

DavidM74 Junior Member

7. MiklosM

MiklosM Bit poster

Hi Maria, I've managed to collect the tech report with the following ID: 340291698
    I hope this helps, because I'm also curious about a solution, as I don't want to uninstall the Toolbox, if not necessary.

8. Ben26

Ben26 Bit poster

I am shocked and embarrassed to say I paid money to upgrade my parallels which did fix this issue for awhile but it is now back in full force.

My mouth is agape at how this issue is still a problem for so many, and does not seem to be resolved, and seems to be a mess managed by spamming this false fix of editing CPU values for a VM which is horridly wrong.

Can parallels please refund the money I've paid since I've wasted many hours on this issue and seems the only way to solve it is to uninstall? Seriously W T F

9. DavidM74

DavidM74 Junior Member

Hello, Ben26. I posted a workaround earlier on this thread here: https://forum.parallels.com/threads/high-cpu-usage-due-to-bsdtar-process.348187/page-6#post-866143 . . . just follow the few simple steps and your bsdtar issue will be resolved (using my workaround).

JoeG1 likes this.
  10. JoeG1

JoeG1 Product Expert

Peter THANK YOU for this post. I thought I was going to have to buy a new Mac due to the dramatic slowdown, I had to reboot my computer three + times when this would rear its head and sometimes it would work, sometimes I could not get my Mac to work normally for a long time. I finally figured out all the BDstar instances were the problem and a google search brought me here.

I quit Parallels Toolbox and set it to not restart and my Mac is back working again.

11. KellyF4

KellyF4 Bit poster

Yes, Peter, thank you for the suggestion about shutting down Parallels toolbox. FWIW, as to Joe's comment about having to buy a new Mac, I can tell you that it wouldn't help. I've got a 2019 16-inch MacBook Pro and the bsdtar issue still makes it essentially unusable.

JoeG1 likes this.
  12. AlexandreM4

AlexandreM4 Bit poster

Is it possible that a premium app with an annual licensing takes so much time to fix an issue like this?

13. Hello, the issue with the bsdtar process has been fixed at the newest version of Parallels Toolbox.
    Could you please share with us your Parallels Toolbox and macOS versions?

14. YanikC

YanikC Bit poster

sorry Maria, I had the problem again this morning. I'm up to date.
    Parallels: Version 15.1.4 (47270)
    Parallels toolbox: Version 2.0.4 (1219)
    MacOS Catalina : version 10.15.5 (19F101)

15. Tickets4festivals

Tickets4festivals Bit poster

Same problem (High cpu usage).

16. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

We can see that the Parallels Toolbox version is very old that is cause for the issue. We suggest you buy Parallels Toolbox subscription and install latest version to resolve the issue.

17. SteveP2

SteveP2 Bit poster

I got a better idea. Delete Parallels entirely and never re-install it. Why should someone pay to fix a bug Parallels introduced? All I get are promos from Parallels to upgrade to latest version because it's faster than previous version. Well it's not faster when there's 6 bdstar processes running and slowing

YanikC likes this.
  18. YanikC

YanikC Bit poster

So if I understand correctly, I bought the latest version of parallel (15) which includes tools, but your versions provided does not work with your software and the solution is to buy another product (because the included version is not functional following updates). In short, your software following updates causes problems and your solution is that I buy a service "upgrade"!?! I did not expect such an answer.

So the only real solution is to uninstall one of your software which is causing problems for another of your products!

Can I uninstall the tools that were provided?

19. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

You have misunderstood Parallels Toolbox provided with Parallels Desktop 15 is for three months and it is expired but you are using a older version Parallels Toolbox provided with Parallels Desktop 12 which is causing the issue. If you wish to use latest Parallels Toolbox, you can buy a subscription. As you are using older version Parallels Toolbox which is not compatible with latest macOS X version which is causing the issue.

20. JustinD6

JustinD6 Bit poster

Ah, I see now that all this is pointing to the toolbox going to a subscription from a one off purchase as we had before, seems the good people at parallels are trying to make more money for development of products that don't work together unless you pay for the update every 3 mths. I only use Parallels Desktop stand-alone for running non-mac OS systems for tech support to customers when trying to sort out there problems and never had used the toolbox, so don't think I will be paying to use it. easy fix for me. Had the latest of both programs installed, but when bdstar went nuts I killed its processes in activity monitor and trashed the toolbox app. For all of you who are using it I hope you find fix soon that works.

BrianP13 likes this.