macOS Big Sur and Parallels Desktop

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by IvanD@Parallels, Jun 22, 2020.

1. BryonB1

BryonB1 Bit poster

I'm also having issues with "1" and "2".

gcj and YouongsooLim like this.
  2. BrianP12

BrianP12 Bit poster

Since I was installing into an existing 10.15 drive, I had to covert the drive into a set size, and then boot into 10.15 and use disk utility to resize the drive. That worked. The Big Sur installer let me choose the drive and it's installing now. Sweet!

3. OAW

OAW Junior Member

I too have this same issue with the 1 and 2 keys. Except for me pressing SHIFT doesn't get it to work like it does with the t and y keys. I had to press FN to get them to register instead.

Another observation of note. macOS Big Sur says that Parallels has been blocked from loading in System Preferences - Security & Privacy. But when I click Allow and my machine reboots the message remains as if nothing happened. Nonetheless, my VM loaded and ran as expected except for the keyboard issue above.

YouongsooLim likes this.
  4. OAW

OAW Junior Member

i've also noticed that Parallels hangs every time I try to shut down the app. I have to force quit it every time.

ClausK3 likes this.
  5. ekohn00

ekohn00 Junior Member

I'm also getting the "To complete Parallels Desktop setup, please restart your Mac."
    I tried the cmd-r reboot and terminal info listed previously, but that didn't work for me.
    Anyone have other work arounds?

6. Samus22

Samus22 Bit poster

I am experiencing the same issue after multiple attempts at installing it from a fresh dmg image. Was yours a fresh install or an upgrade?

7. Nosix

Nosix Member

8. Fernandod6

Fernandod6 Bit poster

I am stuck in here too, anyone knows what else to do???

9. BobO2

BobO2 Bit poster

Another one to the chorus of user with Win10 Issues:
    - 1,t,y keys fail to work (I got around that with a work around)
    - Windows 10 crashes after sign in right before the desktop displays.

RAnthony, YouongsooLim and ClausK3 like this.
  10. Fernandod6

Fernandod6 Bit poster

This is what I found when starting in safe mode, it happens when you try to log in, and then jumps back to the log in screen.

Attached Files:

11. FredericR2

FredericR2 Bit poster

Hi same issue with 1, 2, t and y keys.
    I have to press FN key to make it work.

YouongsooLim likes this.
  12. LV_

LV_ Bit poster

It's worked.Thx buddy :D

13. DsurioN

DsurioN Junior Member

This might be a dumb question but, how is everyone creating their install media? Every time I try I get this error:

Code:
    Couldn't extract BaseSystem to path: /Volumes/Install macOS Beta/BaseSystem
    The bless of the installer disk failed.
    These are the steps I followed:

Code:
    hdiutil create -o /tmp/BigSur.cdr -size 10000m -layout SPUD -fs HFS+J
    hdiutil attach /tmp/BigSur.cdr.dmg -noverify -mountpoint /Volumes/install_build
    sudo '/Applications/Install macOS Beta.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia' --volume /Volumes/install_build
    At which point I get the error above.

14. Samus22

Samus22 Bit poster

I used
    Code:
      sudo hdiutil create -o InstallMedia -size 20G -layout SPUD -fs HFS+J -type SPARSE
      sudo hdiutil attach InstallMedia.sparseimage -noverify -mountpoint /Volumes/install_build
      sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Beta.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/install_build
      sudo hdiutil detach /Volumes/Install\ macOS\ */
      sudo hdiutil convert InstallMedia.sparseimage -format UDZO -o InstallMedia.dmg
      sudo rm InstallMedia.sparseimage

DsurioN likes this.
  15. tattar8sp

tattar8sp Bit poster

I'm having trouble getting Parallels to run on Big Sur at all -- it simply throws up a message saying to reboot to complete the installation, hangs, and then after a manual reboot just throws up the error again. I looked in the log file and it seems to be failing to load kernel extensions with this error:

Error: Error Domain=KMErrorDomain Code=1 "Kernel request failed: (libkern/kext) kext (kmod) start/stop routine failed" UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=Kernel request failed: (libkern/kext) kext (kmod) start/stop routine failed}

At one point I had to approve the extensions in the Security System Preferences, but it did not help.

16. RobertoA7

RobertoA7 Bit poster

Since there are two separate issues being discussed here:
    1. Installing Big Sur on an existing Parallels installation as a VM.
    2. Installing Parallels on a Big Sur installation (either brand new or upgraded from previous version)
    I was wondering if it was worth separating the threads to avoid confusion from readers. I personally am interested in getting Parallels to work on Big Sur, since I too get the constant restart message loop. So wonder how others were able to get it to boot VMs and notice the t/y/1/2 key errors.

BenJ1, gresmi, MichalK5 and 1 other person like this.
  17. WolfV

WolfV Bit poster

I am also stuck with re reboot issue of parallels 15.1 on macos big sur beta 1.
    It seams like someone got parallels to run on big sur: Is that version 15.1 or some 16 beta of parallels that will do the trick?
    I'd love to have a solution for this so I am not required to roll back from big sur to macos x.

18. LarsG8

LarsG8 Bit poster

What worked for me was:

1. Download the Installer
    2. Create a bootable image (Based on @Samus22 post)
    3. Mount the image in Parallels 15
    4. Configure the VM: Increase disk size to 128GB and set the boot flags (Based on @KyleE2 post)
    5. Start Installing... choose a password that does not contain t,y,1,2

backslash-f likes this.
  19. BenJ1

BenJ1 Bit poster

Also getting "BIErrorDomain error 3" when trying to upgrade to the Big Sur beta.

Tech report 343260197 filed. Hopefully it's useful.

20. Atef

Atef Bit poster

Upgrade.