macOS Big Sur and Parallels Desktop

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by IvanD@Parallels, Jun 22, 2020.

1. AB_1

AB_1 Bit poster

Same exact problem here after I installed Big Sur beta on 2019 Mac Pro. The letters "t" and "y" don't work but the numbers "1" and "2" also don't work for me (this is on a bluetooth keyboard, btw). I can do a capital "T" and "Y" and ! and @. I've removed and re-installed Parallels and Toolbox, tried wired keyboards instead, tested on another VM (Ubuntu) but those same keys do not register at all.

2. RamL1

RamL1 Bit poster

Selma0 - Is it devices.machwmodel or devices.mac_hw_model?

SelmaO likes this.
  3. SteveU1

SteveU1 Bit poster

For those who have been trying to run Big Sur as a guest OS in Parallels, this solution is clean and works:

First, I did this in Parallels 15 for Mac "home edition". I'm running on a 2017 iMac w/ 32 GB RAM with Mojave as my system OS

Also, I saw almost every different error that people have been reporting and this method avoided all of them (so far, at least)

1. Make an installer DMG from the downloaded "Install macOS Beta" app. The technique to make one is available via Google but I used the one described here: https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/649774 It's a series of 6-7 command line strings but not too tough

2. Get the correct board_id and hw_model information about your particular Mac:
    • In Terminal, on the Mac that's running Parallels type (or copy/paste)
      ioreg -l | grep board-id <- that's a dash and lower case L, then the pipe character, FYI
    • copy the Mac-xxxxxxx text for use below
    • then type:
      sysctl hw.model
    • copy the hardware model string for use below

3. Create a New VM in Parallels. Don't try upgrading a previous macOS version VM. Also, unless I state otherwise, leave settings @ their default
    • click the + button or select File->new in Parallels control center
    • select "Install Windows or another OS from...", click Continue
    • select the DMG you created in step #1, click Continue
    • name the VM and check "Customize settings before installation" & click Continue
    • Parallels will open its familiar Configuration dialog:
      • click the Hardware tab
      • I set the RAM to 8GB and processors to 4 - but I was being a bit paranoid. I think processors @ 2 is probably OK
      • for Graphics, I set Memory to 512MB with "Scaled" graphics - again, being a bit paranoid, not certain 512MB is required
      • for the Hard Disk, open Advanced Settings, click Properties and increase the size to 128GB. Click Apply, then Close
      • in Boot Order, open Advanced Settings and copy-paste the following lines: (note, Parallels failed to save these lines a couple of times until I copy-pasted them one at a time and hit return after each line - go figure. If your install fails, double-check this setting)
        devices.mac_hw_model="iMac17,1" <- replace inside the quotes with your mac model from step #2
        devices.smbios.board_id="Mac-XXXXYYYZZZ" <- replace inside the quotes with your mac board_id from step #2
    • close the Configuration dialog and click Continue
    • follow the instructions for normal installation going forward
    • while it's installing, call your parents and check in. they worry
    *** Note - do NOT install Parallels Tools at any point. This is what results in the "stuck at black screen", the "won't let me log in, just kicks me out" problem and probably other issues. It's also one of the reasons why upgrading a previous macOS VM fails as it probably already has Parallels Tools installed. Like me, at this point you probably just want to get Big Sur running and can live without PT until Parallels updates it.

Many of the above steps and information was gleaned from other intrepid users posting to this forum and others and I thank you all.

regards and good luck
    Steve in Seattle
    (not nearly as crazy here as some have reported)

eliotw likes this.
  4. RamL1

RamL1 Bit poster

Finally got it working.
    0. Create virtual machine and click configure to format hard drive to APFS with 90GB space
    1. Install macOS Cat
    2. Install all the updates
    3. Create a new user account with admin right and without password
    3. Shutdown
    4. Insert required entry to boot option (boot flag)
    6. Power On
    7. Run Beta Utility.dmg to check for macOS Big Sur update
    8. Download and install
    9. Login as new user that you created before without password
    10. Complete initial setup process

5. MichalK5

MichalK5 Bit poster

I see the same behaviour. I saw reports that it is required to have to have an account that uses an AppleID that is registered as a developer on the device. Sounds weird, and of course I can not create any account if I can not log in...

6. BobF2

BobF2 Bit poster

I have the same issue - the T, Y, 1, and 2 keys do not work. You can hold down the fn key and they work, but really a strange bug...

7. prenez

prenez Member

This is all waaaaaaaaaaay too much trouble. I wasted 24 hours of my life on it and I refuse to waste one more second. Let me know when it works without having to mutter magic spells.

Wynter likes this.
  8. RamL1

RamL1 Bit poster

You should create user account after masOS Catalina is installed. Make sure the user account is created without password. After that you can continue with masOS Big Sur update. Once the update is complete please login using the user account you created before. It works....

9. RamL1

RamL1 Bit poster

Same here as well. Yet, I was able to successfully install. Now going to do the same on VMWare workstation and see what happens.

10. RamL1

RamL1 Bit poster

You don't have to create anything on Apple website. All done within macOS Catalina - System Preference

11. SelmaO

SelmaO Bit poster

devices.machwmodel=MacBookPro13,4
    devices.smbios.boardid=Mac-53FDB3D8DB9CA971

Those info are sample, your computer devices.machwmodel and devices.smbios.boardid different, use terminal to collect information. Clear?

12. SelmaO

SelmaO Bit poster

Below two lines are working on my virtual machine
    devices.mac_hw_model=MacBookPro15,4
    devices.smbios.board_id=Mac-53FDB3D8DB8CA971

13. RamL1

RamL1 Bit poster

OK thanks for the info. Yes above config did work. I did replace the model and board as, I have a older model at home.

14. ShikharB

ShikharB Bit poster

Fair enough, sorry I don't have more to offer on this situation. Hopefully someone else has something of value to add to your situation, good luck! If I discover anything, I will post here.

15. SelmaO

SelmaO Bit poster

If you cant see the menu bar change theme with black.

16. prenez

prenez Member

Well, I was fool enough to let you talk me into it, so I can't blame you. I followed your instructions to the letter and got precisely the same results. Shame on me for not following my own advice and dropping the matter.

I'd strongly prefer an official, iron clad, gold-stamped solution from Parallels that's is 100% guaranteed to work. Otherwise, I won't be trying again with craptastic beta.

17. prenez

prenez Member

18. prenez

prenez Member

I'm not even going to try it on a machine. I have no reason to think it wouldn't brick my machine, and I don't have the time to do recovery.
    Looking over the notes, I think it's probably the parallel tools issue. I can't find any way to completely remove parallels tools from a Catalina VM. Doesn't seem to exist anywhere. Any ideas?

19. MichaelM92

MichaelM92 Member

Were you able to resolve this issue? I am stuck at the same point...thanks

20. MichaelM92

MichaelM92 Member

I was able to get past this, but NOT setting up iCloud (skip) and just create a local account. This got me past the login screen, but now I'm having the issue that the "Parallels Tools" install doesn't actually install it (or is not activated for some reason)...