macOS Big Sur and Parallels Desktop

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by IvanD@Parallels, Jun 22, 2020.

1. Bryan_on_a_Mac

Bryan_on_a_Mac Bit poster

I was using parallels on a Mac running Catalina. I installed the macOS Big Sur beta, and can successfully boot to a login screen. But when I successfully log in, typically before all the initialization settles down, I get a spinner and it takes me back to the login screen.

2. MikeW16

MikeW16 Bit poster

I have managed to get the Big Sur Beta installed as a guest VM but the VM does not recieve the DEP configuration / management screen.
    Has anyone else managed to get this to work?

3. Hello, could you please share any screenshot of the issue with us?

4. MikeW16

MikeW16 Bit poster

The problem is that the DEP management screen is missing in the Setup Assistant process so there is nothing to screenshot.
    I have set the serial, board ID and hardware model boot flags so I would expect it to work.
    I am unsure if anyone else has managed to get a BS guest VM to see the DEP config though.

5. RodrigoG5

RodrigoG5 Bit poster

Same here, if you hold the Fn key it will work! weird bug.

6. JeffR1

JeffR1 Bit poster

So I followed the instructions and wasn't aware going through it that migrating from another machine was the only option. Finally got through that and can't login. I see a few other posts about creating an admin account with no password first. I'll try that next.

7. We're currently investigating the issue and looking for the root cause of the issue.

8. cuddapah

cuddapah Junior Member

I read a work around for this. Before installing macOS Big Sur Beta, create another user account and proceed with installation. After installation, login with the new account and you should be fine. I couldn't get to install Parallels Tools though.

9. RobertoA7

RobertoA7 Bit poster

Couldn't find anything there for the error a lot of people are reporting getting when starting Parallels after upgrading the host to Big Sur: "To complete Parallels Desktop setup, please restart your Mac."

10. RobertoA7

RobertoA7 Bit poster

Did this as well but it keeps prompting the same after starting Parallels.

11. JeffR1

JeffR1 Bit poster

Follow-up: Wasn't able to create logins with no passwords, but did something as simple as acceptable and was able to get it to sort of work. Still very buggy though and find myself back at the login screen frequently. Fortunately, this was just curiosity more than anything else so i'll just shelve Big Sur for now.

12. MattS21

MattS21 Bit poster

I had the same experience. "t" and "y" do not seem to work in my Windows 10 Parallel. Such a strange issue, did anyone resolve this beyond copy and pasting it from the macOS side? Not exactly the most efficient way to go :)

13. MattS21

MattS21 Bit poster

Maria@Parallels likes this.
  14. markt17

markt17 Bit poster

i can't send a tech report because parallels doesn't start!

15. anic297

anic297 Member

Hello,
    I'm having a different issue, for which I can't find any solution yet nor anyone else having this problem...
    I tried two different approaches:
    1:
    • Duplicated a 10.15 VM
    • Uninstalled Parallels Tools (as it would otherwise hang BS later)
    • Launched the BS installer beta; I had the BIErrorDomain 3 and disk too small errors at first, but resolved them easily.
    • The installation went smooth and the VM finally showed the BS login window. But no input worked (the mouse wouldn't move, the keyboard would do nothing); the login window just sat here, waiting, albeit Parallels showed the "Press control+option to release the focus" message (and the mouse was indeed captured anyway).
    • Restarting didn't make any difference.

2:
    • Made a "dmg" file from the installer.
    • Created a new VM in Parallels and made adjustments as told by the steps in Steve's post (page 8). Of course, didn't install Parallels Tools.
    • The installation started with the progress bar and eventually showed the "Language selection" dialog.
    • Same as with the first attempt, I can give the focus straight to the VM (mouse captured) but it won't move and I can't type. No way to choose a language or do anything.
    • Again, restarting produced the same behaviour.

Weird no one seems to be having this issue, according to my searches...

Ideas greatly welcome!

16. anic297

anic297 Member

Edit (I can't seem to find where to edit existing posts in this forum): I mention restarting didn't change anything; pausing and resuming didn't do any better (I already tried).
    Also, it's unclear to me whether this is an input issue or a graphics one. Nothing seem to be updating on screen, so it's fairly possible my clicks/types are actually being handled but I can't see any difference shown (although I would expect some clicks to eventually trigger some CPU cycles in the toolbar); or it's the HID mechanism that gets broken...

17. MichaelM92

MichaelM92 Member

As much as I'd like to test Big Sur inside of a Parallels VM, I've found the best way to test (without updating your daily driver) is to install on a fast external drive and boot from that (ala boot camp). However, do NOT install on a volume of your internal drive.....

18. anic297

anic297 Member

I would certainly, if one of my Macs was supporting BS natively...

19. MichaelM92

MichaelM92 Member

That is an issue...thankfully I have a 2016 (December) MBP that seems happy to run it...
    It seems to run well, but I will wait until at least the Public Beta before I update my main drive.

20. anic297

anic297 Member

Yes, the current state isn't suitable for everyday use (as one would expect); that's the definition of beta software.
    Have you installed BS on Parallels anyway, or only natively to an external disk?

My main computer is a 2008 Mac Pro. It was certainly expensive in the beginning, but it already lasted 12 years with almost no glitch (only one fan makes a bit noise sometimes, but that's not even disturbing); in PC world, where 5 years is "old" for a computer, the total price would be far higher (and add the waste of trashing a PC and reinstalling a new computer, etc.). 18 GB of RAM, added USB 3.0 and SSD support (both as PCI cards); regretting this choice would be the opposite of reality...
    I don't have a Mac more recent than 2012 (a 2012 MacBook Air and a 2007 MacBook Pro). Even Mojave wasn't made for my setup (but I managed to install it anyway, except the 2007 MBP, not doable).