macOS Big Sur and Parallels Desktop

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by IvanD@Parallels, Jun 22, 2020.

1. HowardD2

HowardD2 Junior Member

I concur and endorse this comment. I pay a subscription to use Parallels and they need to advise progress with a timeline of when an update will be made available.

Pyrrho and GillesB like this.
  2. Are you really dragging Parallels for not supporting an OS that has only been in BETA for 2 weeks? Nobody should be installing Big Sur on any system that is required for production; your Parallels software, if essential to you, should be running on a shipping, supported OS. Big Sur is not that OS and will not be for months.

As a developer...Big Sur has quite a bit of under-the-hood changes that will require more than a few tweaks to make existing applications to work. Even simple apps, never mind more complicated ones like Parallels.

BrianK12, batbug, DsurioN and 2 others like this.
  3. HowardD2

HowardD2 Junior Member

Thanks for telling me what I already know. Parallels can easily set out a timeframe for development. The public beta of Big Sur will be made available soon after beta 3, that is only a couple of weeks away, so the development of any update needs to take note of this.

Finally, it for Parallels to respond with guidance, as many other App Developers have already done so.

CraigL4 likes this.
  4. Hello, Parallels Engineering team is testing Parallels Desktop for Mac and other products against macOS Big Sur Beta to ensure full support of macOS Big Sur as soon as it is released.
    Unfortunately we cannot share any time frame of date when the newest version will be released or bug will be fixed. Parallels Engineering Team works hard on it and we will update you as soon as we have any news.
    Thank you for understanding.

BrianK12, batbug and gleb_dolgich like this.
  5. HowardD2

HowardD2 Junior Member

Thanks for the informative update

6. ColbyC

ColbyC Bit poster

Hello, today I lost 2 out of the three external displays. Anyone else having this issue with Big Sur? it worked for a second then quit completely. Please advise.

7. anic297

anic297 Member

I've discovered yet another strange thing with my issue: normally, when the installation starts, the Apple logo is shown on a grey background; on my main computer, where I can't input anything when the language chooser appears, the background for that step is black (it's not a profile difference: the colours are really different). Reproductible each time.
    I can't think both issues aren't related. No one can help me on this?

8. TimmyW1

TimmyW1 Junior Member

Whenever installing a new version of macOS, ESPECIALLY a dev beta, I always do a clean install, whether formatting my drive or using an external drive. That will prevent tons of issues right there.

9. DavidR50

DavidR50 Bit poster

This worked for me! Thanks!!

10. Beej_

Beej_ Bit poster

*laughs*, I'm not sure if you were being sarcastic with your "Thanks for the informative update" comment. (Since they really gave no information, other than they're working on it. Which we all knew.)

Well, Apple doesn't even give you a timeline when anything is going to be released. "later this year", "In the fall", etc. Since well, things can of course take longer than expected. Parallels may also be working with Apple on a fix for something... which Apple may need to do something, release beta 3... and then Parallels needs to do some work... they release a new beta, oh wait, Apple needs to do something on their end... that makes it in beta 4. Parallels can't really say much for timelines, other than We aim to "ensure full support of macOS Big Sur as soon as it is released." (whenever that may be).

Also, Parallels is like replacing an engine on a car... and some other software is like replacing your Air Freshener hanging on the mirror. For someone who made a game for iPad, and wants to make it work on Big Sir. Might take them an hour of coding. Who knows the amount of work that will need to go into the deep integration needed with Parallels.

11. BenJ1

BenJ1 Bit poster

12. DsurioN

DsurioN Junior Member

Parallels doesn't owe you beta software nor does Apple for that matter. They can choose to release their time frame or they can choose not to, that's their perogative. Not sure what the urgency is. Nobody has a need to run Big Sur in production, and if you're a developer looking to update your apps you should probably just have a development Mac where you can install Big Sur directly.

13. JaroslawU

JaroslawU Bit poster

I can see the sarcastic opinion by DsurioN did close the discussion. The silence may mean one of the two: there is a solution and I missed the news, or no progress at all.
    Would someone let me know if the problem of constant reboot request when trying to run Parallels Desktop on MacOS Big Sur is solved?

14. Beej_

Beej_ Bit poster

Or, can you run Big Sur INSIDE Parallels yet?!

15. Hello, could you share with us detailed issue description?

16. jvh

jvh Member

PD 15 is working very fine on my external 32" screen, only Toolbox is failing to work properly.

17. JulsS

JulsS Member

18. CarlosL4

CarlosL4 Bit poster

I don't think they are running ARM system nor Linux for ARM in the demo. Nobody seems to notice that when the webpage was hit but Safari, it identified itself as an x86 Mozilla.

Attached Files:

19. ChuckC2

ChuckC2 Bit poster

I had a simular issue in that after installing Big Sur, Parallels version 15 kept saying I had to reboot when I tried to open my windows VM. I tried the solution mentioned above and it didn't work. I tried re-installing parallels and got the same result. I then saw a later message in this forum that a user had to removed virtual box and got parallels to work so I did that and my windows VM open. However, not all keys were mapping which included keys I use in my password so I had to do the remapping sequence discussed in this forum on the keys I needed for my password in order to open my windows 10 vm. Once opened I found several keys that didn't work including "Y", "1", "2" and "T". Once I re-mapped these through the preference as described in another response in the forum, I was able to use my windows 10 vm again. Hope this helps others that have similar issues

20. DavidG6

DavidG6 Bit poster

Thanks juls! this is very valuable :)

If Parallels themselves are not up for the job (and I'm not surprised they are as they are always late and show lack of interest into anything newer than themselves...), then we'd better go elsewhere too ;)

CraigL4 likes this.