Hot GPU causing MacBook Pro fans to run high most of the time

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by MacJedi, Feb 5, 2014.

1. MacJedi

MacJedi Bit poster

Hello Parallels Forum!

I am hoping you can help me find a way to help get this issue under control. I am a long time Parallels user who is very happy overall with the product. I am running on a MacBook Pro, Mac OSX 10.9.1, Parallels 8.0.18608, and Windows 7 in Parallels. When Parallels is running, my GPU consistently runs very hot, and causes my fans to spin at near max speed. According to a system monitoring utility, all other components in my computer are running at around 125 degrees F, but the GPU and GPU diode are running around 150 degrees F. Are there any Parallels settings I should tweak, or version I should upgrade to that can address this? I am running in windowed mode, not Coherence, etc. The fan noise is very distracting.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

2. Abdul@Parallels

Abdul@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi MacJedi,

- Please (re)install Parallels Tools as suggested at http://kb.parallels.com/4841
    - Go to Configure of VM ( http://kb.parallels.com/117287 ) -> Options -> Optimization
    - Change Performance to "Faster virtual machine"
    - Enable "Adaptive Hypervisor"
    - Enable "Tune Windows for speed"
    - Change Power to "Better Performance"

Thanks,
    Abdul

3. DouglasH1

DouglasH1 Bit poster

I was experiencing the same problem as Macjedi after upgrading to Parallels 11 while running Windows 10. I followed Abdul's suggestion and found it works with Parallels 11.

4. BillP1

BillP1 Bit poster

Done as advised -- still runs really hot

5. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hello, It seems that you're on outdated build of Parallels Desktop 11, please update Parallels Desktop to the latest build 11.1.0 (32202). You can update to the latest build as suggested in this article. Latest version always available here: http://www.parallels.com/directdownload/pd11/ Please note that Parallels Tools also needs to be updated (Actions > Update Parallels Tools). Please see this article to know more about Parallels Desktop 11 for Mac updates summary.

6. BillP1

BillP1 Bit poster

After testing, I can confirm that CPU/fan are both working overtime when PD is active. I'm on 11.1.0 (32202) and have sent technical data to you.

7. IdoR

IdoR Bit poster

I've try to set the settings suggested here, I'm running Parallels Version 11.2.0 (32581 on MacBook Pro 15" Mid2010 with El-Capitan and my computer get very hot and the fans work overtime.
    Is there an solution?

8. Dinesh@Parallels

Dinesh@Parallels Guest

Hello IdoR,
    Please try this solution and check the behaviour.

9. ChristianD13

ChristianD13 Bit poster

I've the same problem with Parallels Dekstop 14 on my MBP 15" i9 Vega20.

CPU Load is very low, Temperatur around 50 degrees Celcius, but the VEGA20 is under heavy load. I only have one instance of Visual Studio open, while debugging a physical Android device. So there is no GPU task that should force the machine to pump that much. Fan Speed is around 90% all the time.

FrankH16 likes this.
  10. ChristianD13

ChristianD13 Bit poster

Hello Maria, the article you suggested is about CPU, not GPU! That's a total different story.

In the meanwhile I figured out, that the DirectX10 option is forcing the GPU to permanent work. Seems to be a big bug in Parallels. If I disable DX10, the machine keeps cool and fan noise is gone. But since I also need to work with CAD tools that requires DX10, this is not a permament solution. I'm using 15" MBP 2018 i9 with 6-Cores; 32GB of Ram and VEGA20 GPU option. I didn't try Intel GPU yet, but it won't be an option for me anyway.

FrankH16 likes this.
  11. My bad.
    In order to continue investigation, could you please generate the problem report using this article and reply us back with report's ID.
    Please generate it right after the issue reproduced.

12. FrankH16

FrankH16 Bit poster

I have the same problems with the same hardware.

13. Tommy6

Tommy6 Bit poster

Same problem here.

Seems for all games that run/need DirectX10. Which is most new games.

At these games van will heat up like crazy.

I have a Imac Pro 8 core with 32GB RAM. So it should not have any problem. Seem like a bug with parallel. Is there any fix yet?

14. Hello, what is your Parallels Desktop version?

15. NadeemM

NadeemM Bit poster

Hi Maria, i also have the same issue of Macbook running up high heat, only when Parallels is running.
    Currently using Parallels Desktop 15 for Mac - Version 15.1.4 (47270)
    Machine: MacBook Pro - 2019 16" - 2.4GHz 8 core i9 - 64 GB memory
    Why cant i add more than 2x CPU??

16. Could you please share a screenshot if the CPU and Memory tab of your VM configurations?

17. NadeemM

NadeemM Bit poster

18. Thank you for your reply and sorry for the delay please.
    Did you run any specific app on your Windows side?
    Could you also make a screenshot of the Activity Monitor when Parallels Desktop is running?

19. metavolta

metavolta Bit poster

I also have the same problem too running 16 inch MacBook Pro with base configuration and running Parallel 15