Parallels 16 - VM Support Sucks

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by MichaelV11, Aug 11, 2020.

1. MichaelV11

MichaelV11 Bit poster

You just release a new version and still don't support most linux distributions that have been release over 1 year ago.

Why can't you keep up like VMware or VirtualBox?

Why do I waste my time? Never again.

mbanfi likes this.
  2. mbanfi

mbanfi Bit poster

I am so disappointed by Parallels bad support for Linux guests. For sure I will not extend my license subscription. I am back to VMware. Just installing 'open-vm-tools-*' package on any Linux distribution VM and everything works. Including decent HiDPI support on a 4K monitor - which is very important to me. Fusion is just constantly improving.

They introduced Docker-like container support (vctl) with an update to 11.5.x.
    And they have announced their plans for Fusion 12 (https://blogs.vmware.com/teamfusion/2020/08/announcing-fusion-12-and-workstation-16.html). Basically what is now Fusion 11.5 "standard" will be free for personal use. Kubernetes cluster support will be added. And: "Fusion 12 Pro now supports individual use on up to 3 devices which now include Windows or Linux PCs running Workstation Pro.". Of course they also update for Big Sur compatibility (no more kernel extensions).

Parallels will have a hard time in the upcoming months to convince me to stay. Right now I cannot recommend Parallels to anybody working with Linux guests.

darren3 likes this.
  3. Hello, we are sorry to hear that you're unhappy with Parallels application.
    And we would like to inform you that we support the following Linux versions in the newest Parallels Desktop version:

• Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) 8, 7 and 6
    • CentOS Linux 8, 7 and 6
    • Fedora Linux 32, 31, 30 and 29
    • Ubuntu 20.04, 19.10, 19.04, 18.04 LTS and 16.04 LTS
    • Debian GNU/Linux 10, 9 and 8
    • Suse Linux Enterprise 15
    • OpenSUSE Linux 15.2, 15.1 and 15
    • Linux Mint 20, 19 and 18
    • Kali 2020.2, 2019 and 2018
    But Parallels Tools support depends on kernel version (that is why you can meet any issues).
    We will be glad to help you if you would like to share with us any issue description.
    Thank you for your time.

4. iamway

iamway Bit poster

M1芯片什么时候能用上centos7 Linux 操作系统