Windows 10 VM Freezes on PD16 minutes after boot

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by CornFly, Aug 11, 2020.

1. CornFly

CornFly Bit poster

Hi,

After upgrading to PD16 my Win10 Started freezing minutes after being started. Reverting to PD15 fixed the issue.

My Win10 VM is on 2004 build, and running using the Apple Hypervisor.

Regards,
    Avi

2. GastonM

GastonM Bit poster

I'm experiencing the same issue. My Windows 10 2004 virtual machine freezes at random moments after the upgrade to Parallels Desktop 16, both in normal and coherence modes.

3. SamF4

SamF4 Bit poster

Yes, I'm having the same issue and had to revert back to PD 15.

Parallels hypervisor is simply unusable and Apple hypervisor saves the day. But now with PD 16, Windows Bootcamp boots and freezes when Apple hypervisor is used. Please fix this!

4. Dimon

Dimon Bit poster

Identical issue here. Running the latest OS X updates too as of today.

5. webdeck2

webdeck2 Bit poster

Having same issue.

6. AlexW8

AlexW8 Junior Member

I believe I'm having the same problem. If my Linux (lubuntu) VM goes to sleep or pauses, when it unpauses, I can no longer interact with it. In fact, it appears to queue actions. If I pause and unpause it, queued clicks go through. For instance, if I click to open the menu, nothing happens. But then if I pause and unpause, suddenly the menu opens (then the machine goes back to being frozen). I know this is the Windows section, but this is the first thing that comes up for a google search of "Parallels 16 freezes" - maybe related? Here's a video. Watch for the clicks.

WenhaoL likes this.
  7. GastonM

GastonM Bit poster

I found a temporarily workaround by selecting the Parallels Hypervisor rather than the Apple one. So far, I'm not having freezes anymore:

Attached Files:

WenhaoL likes this.
  8. AlexW8

AlexW8 Junior Member

My hypervisor in this case IS already parallels - I'll try switching to Apple just for fun.

9. SamF4

SamF4 Bit poster

Regarding hypervisor: one of my projects takes 9 seconds to finish building with Apple hypervisor, but takes 27 seconds with Parallel's hypervisor. With previous MBP2017, same project took like 5 minutes to build with Parallel's hypervisor.

Parallel's hypervisor definitely has serious performance inefficiencies. Please either fix Parallel's hypervisor, or fix the freezing issue when Apple hypervisor is used.

10. Dimon

Dimon Bit poster

BTW, I decided to leave a frozen VM on for a few hours, and it unfroze after about 2 hours ... crazy.

11. ErikB8

ErikB8 Bit poster

Having same issue here. Starts working again if I pause and unpause the VM

12. WenhaoL

WenhaoL Bit poster

Same issue, pd16, windows frozen after restart the os. upload_2020-8-26_16-2-17.png

13. WenhaoL

WenhaoL Bit poster

It works for me. Thanks!

14. PeterW24

PeterW24 Bit poster

Add me to the list. I'm using Apple hypervisor.
    My WIN10 VM froze with 100%CPU during the first few seconds of startup. It did this repeatedly - over and over and over aain - but not 100% of the time, every now and then it would get through to the login. Same as WenhaoL's screen shot above.
    Of course if you force stop the VM and paralells enough times it causes Winows startup to fail, and sends you running about for a backup image of the VM. I had to revert to Parallels 15 - but of course that is going to mean I cannot move to big sur when it comes out.
    Hoping Parallels 16 gets fixed in time.

15. MatthewS24

MatthewS24 Bit poster

My MacBook Pro 16 never worked very well with the Parallels hypervisor, on version 15 or 16, especially in terms of sleep/wake, booting and spinning the CPU at 100% for several minutes, etc...a degraded experience, to say the least. The Apple hypervisor worked GREAT on Parallels 15 and fixed all those issues. But with Parallels 16 I'm having the freeze problem people are describing here so I've been forced to go back to the Parallels hypervisor. I really hope that Parallels can fix something here, and fast. Between this and the move to Apple Silicon, I'm starting to position things in a way where I might not be buying Parallels licenses for my staff anymore. They complain a lot about this problem.

16. RogerH6

RogerH6 Hunter

I found that if this happens, if you 'force quit' the process from activity monitor, and then boot it again, it starts without the problem.
    It only happens occasionally, but is annoying. I did report it during the beta phase of PD16, but I think it got ignored....

17. MatthewS24

MatthewS24 Bit poster

Which process do you kill in Activity Monitor? Usually when I force-quit Parallels, that isn't enough and I have to reboot the Mac. Additionally I worry about the integrity of the guest OS if I have to do that a lot.

I think Parallels has two problems. 1) The new issue with the Apple hypervisor and PD16, and 2) the longstanding issue with the Parallels hypervisor and the newer MacBook 16"

18. darren3

darren3 Member

You know what I completely hate, is a company that can't even provide a response on what's going on, there is obviously a problem with Parallels hypervisor and probably Apple's hypervisor too, and as beta users we accept that. But wouldn't it be nice if a decent company out there would provide some feedback and updates, rather than relying on us to beta test their products and provide them with information that appears to be being ignored.
    Parallels, just share what is going on, regular updates, and maybe we can then better spend our time on something else rather than providing feedback to you when you actual know the issue and are hopefully working through a solution.
    Or maybe Parallels doesn't care, my subscription just renewed, so I guess they are still getting paid for ignoring us

19. BrianK12

BrianK12 Junior Member

Same issue here running Win10 VM on Big Sur. Using the Apple hypervisor as the Parallels version kernel panics my MBP every time. Also tried adaptive hypervisor on and off but doesn't make a difference. Some times I can work on Win10 for an hour before it locks up and sometimes it doesn't last even that long. Seems like it happens mostly when I leave it idle and pausing and un-pausing hasn't helped either. I realize there will be issue since my host is on a beta OS so more just wanting to report it so I can track the issue and be counted amongst the crowd.

20. MartinP3

MartinP3 Bit poster

I tried out the Apple Hypervisor and performance is seemingly better but also having freezing issues as described in this thread, which did not occur with Parallel's hypervisor I think. When the VM stops responding I can unfreeze it by sampling the VM process using Activity Monitor or 'sample'.

Another maybe unrelated issue that also started occuring when switching to the Apple Hypervisor is that the mouse stops working after some time while keyboard and everything else still works...

Dr_Rob likes this.