Leopard issues with Parallels 5160

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by jkwuc89, Oct 26, 2007.

1. gmorris

gmorris Junior Member

leopard and 5540

good point.

I have now recovered xp through bootcamp and have created two different profiles which are selectable at start.

I am not sure i had a way to edit my boot.ini file as i couldn't do it using mac and there is no edit command in the recovery console.

I will see how it goes from here with what i have.

2. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Can't you just edit the file with a plain-text editor through OS X? It worked fine for me in the past.

3. gmorris

gmorris Junior Member

leopard 5540

well normally you can if you have successfully installed ntfs-3g, ntfs-mount or your windows partition is fat-32.

Right now with an ntfs partition, they have a macfuse version for leopard but the ntfs-3g is still a works in progress. NTFSmount didn't work either and there is no fink version for 10.5 either.

We messed about with ntfsmount and created a compiled version for some missing elements, but it failed to mount.

Short story - no edit of ntfs files :-(.

I am now reinstalling leopard to ensure the bootcamp drivers are correct. xp installed all be it a little quirky, so i'm not sure how stable it is. however all my old progs and data are in tact, so i can further backup my windows partition. If i can get xp stable in bootcamp, i may give 5540 a try again but i am probably going to uninstall parallels altogether and wtach the forum for more updates. I may also just use vm ware fusion as it appears more stable with more support. That would be a shame, but i am tired of spending time on parallels.

4. ranessi

ranessi Bit poster

This is Special - After Leopard install VM gone?

I've just installed Leopard on a Mac Pro running the latest build of Parallels and tools. After install and working with normal Mac stuff, I went to Parallels as that's where my Quicken bank accounts reside. Very ummm... worried to see the Parallels INSTALL script open up as if I'd never had a VM running. After several reboots, same thing. Did I miss something in the directions (in which case I'm sure several people will let me know :), or is this a significant issue?

5. gmorris

gmorris Junior Member

leopard and parallels

That is just as strange as i got and what a mess to recover.

An earlier post recommended the beta 5540 build of parallels (it didn't help me). You could try installing that but usually it is recommended uninstalling parallels first before reinstalling any new version. Since you had a VM and not a bootcamp install, i wouldn't like to guess what has happened to your VM or what parallels does with it during an upgrade.

I have nearly recovered my windows install and all my data, but i have completely removed parallels and will not use it again until they have a stable release like my 3214 build with tiger. In the meanwhile, it's back to bootcamp but at least it works.

6. brkirch

brkirch Pro

Do a search for files with the extension pvs, your VM probably just got moved by the Leopard installer.

7. mlcolorado

mlcolorado Bit poster

Working Fine

After installing Leopard, Parallels Desktop 3.0 worked fine, absolutely fine for me.

8. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Ahh, oversight on my part with the comment...
    When I set things up, that is why I used FAT32, but we don't have any large files and everything is served up through fileshares anyway.

9. gebauer

gebauer Member

10. rperkins22

rperkins22 Bit poster

Just upgraded, big problem, now it is frozen

I just upgraded, so now my VM only works on 3.0, but the problem is, 3.0 doesn't work at all now...

I'm so disappointed in the 3.0 release, it's starting to feel like the windows Dell that I just left behind in moving to the Mac...

I'm on the trial, glad i didn't put real money down on it. Why does this have to happen?a

Do you guys have any plan in the near future to fix this? Please.....

Ron

11. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

rperkins22,
    If you want any help, tell us about your problem...
    Sorry you are having trouble, but at this point it is like you going to the doctor in flu season and saying your stomach hurts and you are disappointed...

12. rperkins22

rperkins22 Bit poster

Sorry to complain but if it's flu season, I wish I'd known it was coming--now I have to go to work sick...

I'll try to create a new VM and hook up my old disk to it. If you have any other hints, I'd appreciate it if you could point me to them. I looked at support already but my problem didn't seem to be there:

I installed 5160 over my old VM and it warned me that I could not go back. I had just run Time Machine so I thought I was ok. But when I started the VM again after installing 3.0 and hooking up iSight camera for an application I needed to use on my trip to NY, it first said please wait...then after I waited about 30 minutes, I decided it was frozen. It still is frozen--the Windows desktop comes up, but nothing is active. It says that it' resuming....but nothing happens.

Now, unless I can fix it tonight, I have to lug my old hated Windows machine with me. I am very disappointed...

Ron

13. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

rperkins22, please exclude your VM from Time Machine.

Forum moderators deliver your reports to Parallels QA team. Thank you for giving the information helping us to improve Parallels Desktop. We are working hard to fix the issues in future builds.

Best regards,
    Xenos

14. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

I agree with Xenos, that should fix your problem.

15. codeninja

codeninja Bit poster

Just in case this helps,

having similar issues.

When booting parallels with 5160, I get the "filesystem cannot initilize" and Parallels works after clicking away, however, Opening programs hangs. File transfers hang and refuse to initilize. Opening system monitor hangs. Force quitting applications either from finder, or terminal with kill -9.... has no effect.

Nothing I do will allow me to shut down parallels, remount the drive, or shut down the mac. I have to manually shut down the power.

Once I do this, I am unable to reboot to windows, or start up windows (xp) in parallels, (although, after the first failed attempt to boot windows, it boots in both).

16. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

17. jjo

jjo Junior Member

When doing an reinstall of Parallels Desktop, do you lose your Windows install data, or will the upgrade just "work" with the existing Windows XP VM data?

18. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

If there are no Windows install data files in ~/Library/Parallels, nothing will be lost with Parallels reinstallation. They should not be there by default.

Best regards,
    Xenos

19. jjo

jjo Junior Member

I installed XP on a separate drive in my Mac Pro, so I assume I'd be fine should I need to reinstall Desktop.

20. gegervision

gegervision Hunter

All works fine for me with Leopard except I still get "out of virtual memory" errors still while in Coherence only. Have to exit Coherence to Single Window and back into Coherence to resolve the lockup. Issue exists in both 5160 and 5540 using OSX 10.4.9 and 10.5.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2007