Can't open Windows 10 - stuck on spinning device

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by tblack, Jul 21, 2019.

1. MichaelS119

MichaelS119 Bit poster

I have been battling this problem for over two years (since version 14). It has been frustrating, to say the least. Every time the solution has been to remove parallels, and restore a time machine backup of the VM. I have tried everything in this forum with no avail. I agree with other users, I believe the instability lies between Microsoft updates and the hypervisor running away with host resources. I own my own business and have lost countless hours on this particular instability. When Parallels announced v16 today, I almost took the suckers bait of "they had to fix this" in a major revision release. I couldn't take the chance. Over the weekend I removed Parallels and installed VMWare Fusion. It lacks the bells and whistles, but is a no-thrills stable VM host. Parallels lost a long time customer today. I have been running their software since version 12. The frustration I encountered myself and those in this forum was enough evidence that it was time to move on.

Sam33 likes this.
  2. BruceK4

BruceK4 Bit poster

I struggled with this all day yesterday, Mac totally unresponsive and burning up even when I managed to force quit parallels . I've started running the prl_disk_tool check 2 hours ago and still not even 1% progress.

3. AntonV1

AntonV1 Bit poster

I've had the same issue on a Mac 10.14 with Parallels Desktop 14.
    First Parallels wouldn't start, then Windows wouldn't boot.
    For me starting in recovery mode and running Disk First Aid did the trick for Parallels itself.
    To get Windows to finally boot I just had to be patient and wait around 1,5 hours until it booted.
    All Windows-updates are installed (even when clicking the check for updates-button)
    Ever since it's been working.

I hope it stays that way...

4. VugarA

VugarA Bit poster

I had same problem. I spent few hours find issue. Event i can't install new version of windows. Changed PD version also not worked. Finally I found problem. It was because of type c hub (dell d6000), i use it for dual monitor. If anyone has same problem disconnect all usb devices and check again.

5. Chris47

Chris47 Bit poster

I had a similar problem. Parallels would start but Windows would be stuck at the spinning wheel, which happened for days (I'd leave it running in the background all day but it still wouldn't boot). I have just been able to get Windows to start by going to Actions-->Reset. I ignored the warning message and canceled disk checking (Windows prompted me to press any key if I wanted to cancel disk checking), Windows went on to install a few updates, and my VM booted up okay. It's now running smoothly.

6. NickK7

NickK7 Bit poster

I downgraded to PD15 due to my VM getting stuck on boot every 1-2 days, which was affecting my work productivity. Very annoying problem with PD 16, hope this issue is resolved soon. Force Quitting the VM from activity monitor should not be a valid solution since you risk corrupting the VM.

7. GarethW2

GarethW2 Bit poster

I am and have been struggling with this same issue now for two years and have reinstalled windows and parallels countless times including purchasing brand new windows pro licence keys to attempt to resolve. This is now causing me significant problems and lost time and is making it unworkable. A solution or some response to this would be helpful. I have submitted a technical report number 350160723

8. RenatoC3

RenatoC3 Bit poster

Same problem here. I tried restoring a PVM file from a few months ago and the problem persists. How many technical reports does Parallels need in order to fix the problem (I see 13 pages of comments here dating back to 2019)? I also think that Parallels should extend our licenses for several months as I have been unable to use it for some time.

9. Fabian7

Fabian7 Bit poster

Same problem here unfortunately. Submitted technical report.

10. GaryC16

GaryC16 Bit poster

Same problem here as well. Downgrading to PD 15 does not appear to be a valid workaround based on comments in this thread.

11. Fabian7

Fabian7 Bit poster

Disabling the option the "Enable TRIM" under Hardware / Hard Disk / Advanced Settings seems to have helped here.

HNPL and Daniel Payne like this.
  12. Daniel Payne

Daniel Payne Bit poster

Fabian,
    Wow, thank you for the tip, because your fix just worked for me and I can finally run Windows 10 again under Parallels Desktop for Mac 16. I did spend an hour on the phone waiting for support, and three sessions on chat, but could never get a live response. This support forum was the solution for me. Happy dance.

Maria@Parallels and Fabian7 like this.
  13. Hey, do you still have an issue? If yes, could you collect the tech report once the issue reproduced?

14. GaryC16

GaryC16 Bit poster

I no longer have the issue. I am now fully up-to-date on ParallelsDesktop 16.1.1-49141.

Maria@Parallels likes this.
  15. Great, thank a lot for providing us with your results.
    Please let us know if you have any additional questions.

16. KristenB

KristenB Bit poster

Same issue, and my Experimax guys solved it quickly for me. On the Mac side click on the Parallels vertical red bars at the top of screen.
    Choose ACTIONS
    Choose STOP
    When prompted to stop Windows 10, choose STOP.
    Then try to restart windows in parallel.
    May have to repeat above sequence several times. My tech had to try 3 times before windows would reload. Then several windows updates downloaded. Problem solved til next windows updates that corrupt parallels again but now I have the fix

17. JimP5

JimP5 Bit poster

Thanks much, KristenB. I just started having this problem today after successfully booting into Windows once. Question is will I have do these gyrations every time I use Windows?

18. AnnaG3

AnnaG3 Bit poster

Spent two days(!!!!) without any solution with problem similar to above. After "Checking disks...." several times for up to 2 hours the MacPro freeze and I have to force quit the laptop. How to solve this, cannot come any further since no other process can be started at the same time as Parallells/Win10 tries to start. I am not a technician, just need the Mac to work

19. JimP5

JimP5 Bit poster

After using KristenB's remedy once I have been able to successfully boot into Windows a couple times since then.

20. CockerB

CockerB Bit poster

Sorry to ask a draft question, but where do I find this menu? I have the same issue and it's driving me nuts!