Big Sur Beta 6/7/8 - Network Initalization Failed

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by BrianV5, Sep 23, 2020.

1. BrianV5

BrianV5 Bit poster

When starting Parallels 16.0.1 on Big Sur Beta 6, 7 or 8 -- You get a Network Initialization Failed error message.
    Unable to use any networking in the virtual machine.

2. BrianV5

BrianV5 Bit poster

BTW -- I'll mention the only reason I'm trying parallels, is because VMWare Fusion has the exact same problem, yet a BUG report I've filed with Apple came back with "3rd party change required" --- when all of this worked under beta 5. Sounds like Parallels, VMWare and Apple need to all get along on this issue.....

3. Hello, did you check this thread for more information?
    Please let us know if it's not that case.

4. Hello,
    please try the following workaround:
    1. Shut down the virtual machine and quit Parallels Desktop.
    2. Open Terminal (Applications > Utilities > Terminal), copy and paste the following command and press Enter:
      sudo rm /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist && sudo killall -9 configd
    3. Then prompted, enter your Mac's password and press Enter (Terminal doesn't show the password as you type).
    4. Restart the Mac.

5. Hello guys, we would like to inform you that Parallels Desktop update 16.1.0 has been release recently.
    Please update your Parallels Desktop version to the latest build and check the issue.
    Please share any results with us.

6. TamijiH

TamijiH Bit poster

Hi Maria,

I am with Parallels Desktop 16.1.0 (48950) and Big Sur 11.0.1 on iMac Pro 2017.
    If I choose Shared Network and run CentOS 7.8 with DHCP enabled, I can access network.
    I've tried other choices (Ethernet/Default Adapter, my preferred choice), none of them works.
    With working choice (Shared Network and DHCP enabled), I couldn't make Cisco VPN work... *sigh*
    Tammy

7. TomE4

TomE4 Bit poster

Hello Maria,

I am with Parallels Desktop 16.1.0 (48950) and Big Sur 11.0.1 (20B29) on Mac mini (2018).
    Before I used bridged-network with bond0 this is not available anymore, I tried all other adapters and the terminal solution, no change.
    I cannot access the WinVM by RDP and no network connection in the VM itself.
    I hope a solution will arrive soon.

Tom

8. MarinusB

MarinusB Junior Member

I have Parallels Desktop Version 16.1.0 (48950) installed on an iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014) (iMac 15,1; i7 and 32GB main memory).
    I run several VMs with Win10. Under Catalina, all worked well with networking provided by bridged networking using "Default Adapter", with a wired ethernet connection to the built-in NIC.

After upgrading to macOS Big Sur version 11.0.1 (20B29) this didn't work anymore: Win10 couldn't connect to the network. Setting "Shared Network (recommended)" did work, but had the disadvantage that the VMs didn't integrate into the rest of my LAN anymore (DHCP, DNS, IP white list, QoS settings etc), but received addresses in a, well, parallel LAN devised by Parallels. That is, connecting to drives etc. on the LAN from the VMs is no problem, but they cannot be found by name anymore by other nodes on the LAN. Changing to "Ethernet" bridged mode didn't do the trick, by the way, and neither did the "workaround" involving deleting /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist.

After some tinkering I found that using Wifi (slow: ~ 120 Mbs), or an Apple thunderbolt-to-ethernet adapter/dongle for the ethernet cable (fast: 1 Gbs), everything did work again in bridged mode--i.e. after setting "Default Adapter" (or "Thunderbolt Ethernet" or "Wifi") the VMs had network access again, and were first-class citizens of the LAN once more.

In short, the upgrade to Big Sur seems to have "broken" the bridging functionality of Parallels Desktop for the built-in ethernet port (NIC).

If Apple is right, and it is a matter of "3rd party change required", as BrianV5 suggests, you might want to look into this.

TomE4 likes this.
  9. TomE4

TomE4 Bit poster

Thanks to the description of MarinusB I tried with the dedicated adapters. Standard, en0 and en8 (usb-ethernet adapter) didn't work, maybe as they are on the Mac used as bond. Only an IP in 169... area could get in that configuration, acknowledged by the router but no internet connection possible with this, manual or dhcp didn't work as well. I switched on Wifi then (not preferred for me on the Mac, but toggle a try). The Wifi adapter in parallels works. So I can access the Win10 VM by RDP again and the VM has as well internet connection.
    I hope that this will be solved soon. Maybe as well to allow to use the bond0 in full speed.

10. JonathanVd

JonathanVd Bit poster

tomb18 and PacoL1 like this.
  11. MarinusB

MarinusB Junior Member

I found a workaround for my system. As I said. I got things working again with the ethernet wired connection using an Apple thunderbolt-to-ethernet adapter/dongle. However, when I changed its hardware settings to support MTU = 9000 (jumbo packets), networking from the VMs failed with that interface as well. And when I tried the built-in NIC ("ethernet"), with MTU = 1500 ("standard"), the VMs appeared on the network again. So it seems that Parallels Desktop bridging in Big Sur fails when you use jumbo frames! @ TomE4, maybe could you try the same?
    By the way, the macOS native system is quite happy to use jumbo frames itself--it is just not working with the VMs connected in bridged mode...

12. MichaelH60

MichaelH60 Bit poster

Hi,

same problem here. With Jumbo Frames all VMs failed to communicate over the build-in 10GB Networkchip in my MacMini from 2019. If I toggle it to 1500 all works fine like bevor the update to big sur. I hope this will fix soon.

13. PacoL1

PacoL1 Bit poster

14. Hi, just one more question; did you try the default adapter?

15. MarinusB

MarinusB Junior Member

See my initial comment of MarinusB, Saturday at 11:58 AM: I tried "default adapter", but no joy. Using the built-in Ethernet adapter with "standard" (i.e. non-Jumbo) MTU worked, as did (indirectly selecting it) setting "default adapter" (see my comment MarinusB, Sunday at 9:31 PM) Conclusion: the problem has to do with using Jumbo frames, and occurs with Big Sur--with Catalina everything worked fine. By the way, I just updated to Parallels Desktop Version 16.1.1 (49141), to no avail.

16. JRH1

JRH1 Bit poster

I have the same issue. Mac Pro, dual 10Gb, trunk ports from the switch, trying to bridge vlan 35. It worked on catalina does not work on big sur. Shared is the only thin working. I had jumbo frames on, I have tried it both ways, this is crippling. Please advise

17. CarstenR5

CarstenR5 Bit poster

same problem here - using a VLAn configured on Big Sur as host with PD 16.1 does not seem to work

18. raphaela1

raphaela1 Bit poster

since i updated my macbook pro to BIGsur i have been geting
    network initialization failed
    your virtual machine will continue working normally but will have no network connection
    I'm also using parallels desktop business edition latest version 16.1
    and I still get that error
    please can anyone help

Attached Files:

19. giovannic4

giovannic4 Bit poster

Hi, iMacPro updated to BiSur 11.0.1, Parallels Business Edition 16.1.1 (49141): Same problem! With Ethernet adapter is not working, WiFi is working fine. I have a MacBook Air and the same problem, just the reverse! WiFi not working, Etc working fine.
    It seems that the upgrade has broken the card "in use"...
    Please help us!

20. UgurA

UgurA Bit poster

Hi guys, I have same problem. I tried everything I saw but unfortunately I didn't solve this issue