arm64 ISO and VHDX images?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by KolbeK, Dec 17, 2020.

1. DonaldB4

DonaldB4 Bit poster

You need to install the operating system for the virtual machine Parallels is creating. If it's Windows, you need the ARM version of Windows 10 that you can download from Microsoft once you sign up for their insider program as explained by io_2000.

ChrisW38 likes this.
  2. AlanJ4

AlanJ4 Bit poster

Thank you, saved me a lot of work on a subject that I know little about

3. AlanG13

AlanG13 Bit poster

4. BruceP1

BruceP1 Bit poster

From Parallels - Read these great articles by 9to5mac, MacRumors, MSPoweruser to see what others have to say about this version. The article in 9to5Mac made the process very straight forward.

CarlosR29 likes this.
  5. KevinR11

KevinR11 Bit poster

Can this be changed for CentOS 7 aarch64 at boot time during install?

6. KevinR11

KevinR11 Bit poster

7. KevinR11

KevinR11 Bit poster

I have successfully installed Fedora 33 Server Aarch64 but, I can't get Xorg server running as Xorg -configure finds no devices. Also I checked for /dev/dri/card0 or similar and there is no directory. Do I need parallels tools first?, which does not currently support aarch64? Or am I just doing something wrong as the install had the video working?

8. JohnB80

JohnB80 Bit poster

Just tried the latest preview, which resolves some of the initial bugs and makes it easier to install Linux ISO images. The preview is coming along really nicely. I'm hoping Parallels will add Tools support soon, so that I can run the VMs at a higher resolution.

Parallels User and ScottK17 like this.
  9. >>> Message has been deleted by the user <<<

10. >>> Message has been deleted by the user <<<

11. LeeR6

LeeR6 Member

I have been unsuccessful. Even when following the above directions, I get the Windows ARM VM logo and a circle rotating on an infinite loop. It's been circling for over 12 hours now, and I can't get past that to get a Windows log-in screen. I have downloaded the same, exact Windows 10 Arm 64-bit file that everyone else seems to be downloading, and same issue. The rotating dotted circle is very slow.

I have the Apple Developers Test Kit with the A12X ARM processor. Is this processor related, though?

This is the same issue as when I tried this prior to the latest update. I did do an update from Parallels and did not download the newer version. I did an update in place. Anyone have any thoughts? Screen Shot 2020-12-31 at 9.57.23 AM.png

12. PatrickK13

PatrickK13 Bit poster

Debian Desktop was easy (and now handy).
    What about Android? Anyone know of an ARM64 version that would run in a Parallels VM?

13. MatthewW13

MatthewW13 Bit poster

I have used a few ubuntu images. They are all hanging on the cd for reason (or seem to be) even when one is not connected anymore).

Debian and Kali do not seem to do that. All three of them boot up ridiculously fast though. If/when we get further along and start getting tools it will be really nice.

14. MatthewW13

MatthewW13 Bit poster

Now that I got Kali working that is my next project probably. I don't think they will use UEFI so it will take a little manipulation. Don't think any will run out of the box.

PatrickK13 likes this.
  15. LisaE

LisaE Bit poster

I tried this and when I get to step 3, I cannot find the installation.iso file. I can't complete the set up. What am I missing?

16. AnonUKuser

AnonUKuser Junior Member

Did you use a Kali iso file? Can you you say what you downloaded please.

17. io_2000

io_2000 Junior Member

Perhaps you downloaded the virtual hard disk file containing Windows 10 (i.e *.vdhx) instead of the iso file. Check your downloads folder for a file that that extension. It will work to install Windows 10 in the Parallels 16 for M1 tech preview, just like the iso file.

18. AnonUKuser

AnonUKuser Junior Member

19. ale1

ale1 Bit poster

unfortunately it doesn't work for me, when i play reset this comes out
    "To install an operating system, connect a source with the operating system installation files, such as a CD, USB stick or disk image and recover the virtual machine"

20. GianlucaG1

GianlucaG1 Bit poster

I followed these steps several times, also after wiping out and reinstalling the Parallels technical preview. I always get the screen below, and it does not matter what I do - Continue, Reset again - the VM does not appear to boot from the installation image and the Windows 10 installation does not start. Any idea on what I may be doing wrong?

Attached Files:

NatalieH1 likes this.